Tight New Disc brake pads

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I know it should nt be but are new cheaper pads[ probably from China] slightly too thick when new and drag on the rotor for the first bit until they wear down ?
I know about sideways caliper adjustment and the level of fluid in the system but even with the pistons pushed back it happens a lot .
Does anyone else have to sand the pads down a bit to get the rotor in ?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Haven't had to sand pads down. Some are tight or hard to align. But if new source/brand, can you measure thickness vs OEM pads? That way when you sand down you just go to standard thiccness?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What brakes ? Pistons pushed all the way back?
This has happened to me and I just needs to let a bit of fluid out. The other option is to ride until they wear back a bit. Good resistance training I guess.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah Formulas, pistons pushed back ,sometimes i just use a half worn pad on one side.
I can understand that maybe the fluid is topped up when the pads are worn ?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Oh, formula... Yeah my curas are always tight with new pads. Struggle to get zero rub even with new bleed. Will look at a beer can shim to set it up next time just to try something else.

4pot or 2? Could also have a sticky piston that you push back when installing, but as soon as you pull the lever once it stays out further than it should.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
When were they last bled? DOT juice brakes (which include Formula) absorb moisture over time, which increases the fluid volume, and in turn closes pad clearance. Some brakes naturally run pretty tight clearance, so you really need to ensure you can stuff the pistons right in to get sufficient non-draggy clearance.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
When were they last bled? DOT juice brakes (which include Formula) absorb moisture over time, which increases the fluid volume, and in turn closes pad clearance. Some brakes naturally run pretty tight clearance, so you really need to ensure you can stuff the pistons right in to get sufficient non-draggy clearance.
New Formula brakes (Cura) run mineral oil. Had rubbing issue on my Hopes running aftermarket pads. cleaned and lubed each piston and pushed all the way back to stop rubbing.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
As usual you have hit the nail on the head Duck thanks.
Yeah probably the DOT is absorbing water and increasing the fluid volume of once satisfactory brakes + makes sense then the pads arent back quite as far and 0.5 mm makes a difference .