Thread together BB71 replacement?

Brow

Big Block
This started as a creak finding exercise and have come to the BB.
I have a XTC carbon with BB71 press fit and even if it is not the creak source I do not like the plastic cups and it looks like cheap and trouble.

Wheels MFG do a replacement Al thread together replacement - anyone had experience with their Shimano BB replacement setups?

They look a lot better to me and while nowhere near as cheap as std replacement BB71 or BB91 should last a lot longer and be easy to replace bearings only in future.

Comments welcome thanks.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Buy a Hopetech PF. You need a special tool for installation, but I wouldn't use anything else.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Try Praxis Works for a creak free BB. I got mine from Hit Bikes on the Sunshine Coast. Praxis Works advertises them as creak free press fit.

Brow

Big Block
Thanks guys for the replies.

I will look up Hopetech.

Praxis looks really nice but not suited to the BB86/92 series fittings and my BB71 is this type. Looks to me like the Praxis is for pressfit cups where the actual bearing sits outside the frame where mine sits inside a bit like zero stack headset.

I am thinking this frame will hopefully last as long as my last frame @17yrs before replacement so am willing to spend a bit to get a good setup.

I have greased it all and put it back together as is for now. Will be interesting to see of it fixes the creak as I have already gone through seat and post, ring gear bolts etc and the creak is not cockpit as it is there with hands off.

moorey

call me Mia
For the record...went through the same exhaustive search for a creek. Tested everything...cockpit, seat, drivetrain, pedals, bb, cranks, pivots, hanger....ended up being the dropouts of all things. I've never had dropouts creak, but on this bike, it returns every 200km or so. I just undo, dab of grease, do it up, good for a while. Infuriating, but easily fixed.
Not saying it's your issue, PF is known to creak, just sayin.

Brow

Big Block
Thanks Moorey, I will add it to my list to do for creaking. I have to try hubs too I suppose.

I hate that it almost takes a full teardown and rebuild on the whole bike to just chase a creak. My only concern with creaking is it might be something about to give way or sieze up and mean a long walk home!!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I can vouch for the wheels manufacturing thing. Beautifully made and with Enduro Bearings if you pick the right version. Equal of the Hope for sure and yes I've used them too. SCV Imports do them online locally.

Can't say for sure it will solve your creak though...only that it won't creak because it is a very tight fit!

Brow

Big Block
Thankyou Mr Ninja (see what I did there?) I value your input. I think I will save up for the Wheels unit. At this point I am more looking to ditch the plastic (a bit ironic since I have a carbon frame) and put in something with metal cups and screw together for a tighter fit.
This was the first time I have had the bb apart and did not really like what I saw. I will continue to chase the creak as well.

Brow

Big Block
Thanks JT. I really like the Hope. Press fit both cups then clamp them together with the sleeve I think is slightly better than the Wheels which seem to press and turn the second cup and sleeve assembly meaning that cup is not quite as tight a fit.

Thanks for the offer of tool use but being a tool nerd, I would just have to buy it too. I would have it then forever if needed to fit new bearings or a new bottom bracket to other bikes.

Now for Xmas and Jan birthday to gather funds. Got a couple of big tins collecting coins in the shed too, all will help.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The Wheels one is press the drive side in then screw the non drive side in. No pressing required. Just an awful lot of screwing...well greased screwing at that. The result is as tight as the screw-in BB that the frame should have been fitted with in the first place rather than a stupid press fit BB. Hope is the same apart from the fact that it needs a special tool rather than a conventional Shimano external BB tool...

Brow

Big Block
Done

Finally made my decision and bought a Wheels BB for my XTC. In the end being able to use normal tools swung it. Got some of those tools too recently for my birthday.
Thanks to all those who contributed with advice to help my decision.