The You Yangs Thread

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone need a light? Just requires constant hitting at inopportune moments.
One of my lights must have gone out in sympathy with yours last night.
The light on my handlebar kept cutting out after about a minute leaving me with just my head light, caught a bad shadow at the bottom of Cressy and got disorientated, so ended up bailing into a clearing off the side of the trail haha.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One of my lights must have gone out in sympathy with yours last night.
The light on my handlebar kept cutting out after about a minute leaving me with just my head light, caught a bad shadow at the bottom of Cressy and got disorientated, so ended up bailing into a clearing off the side of the trail haha.
Haha, you picked a brilliant spot to depart the trail though! Not many clear and open spaces along there... :eek:

SDA

Likes Dirt
Is Travs Diamond a one way or a two way trail?

Yesterday arvo as we were entering one of the small rock chutes we were met by some ebikers attempting to ride up it.

We gave them a serve. They said it was a two way trail. We gave them more of a serve and rode off.

So it got me thinking.... is it two way? I didn't see any wrong way go back signs near the bottom.

beeb

Two-way I believe. Still a dumb idea to try and ride up it on a weekend with the amount of people that'd be coming down coupled with the amount of semi-blind (blind exit) corners and features on it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
So it got me thinking.... is it two way? I didn't see any wrong way go back signs near the bottom.
Travs, Lactic, Boulder, Junction (black part) are all two way. Only one-way trails are Bandages, Turbulence and Cressy.

It’s not ideal, but fortunately it’s not often you come across someone coming up. Trail speeds are way higher now days too with everyone riding 6+ inch enduro bikes, definitely some crashes waiting to happen on Lactic in particular.

Tangential to the above, it always shits me when you’re climbing up Rockwell (the only climbing trail on the Stockyards side) and you get a group coming down who fail to give way/acknowledge your existence. Particularly now visibility is low with the shrub all grown up. Did give a bit of a mouthful to a group of middle aged e-bike-and-fullface squids the other week who all but pushed me off the trail as they skidded their way down.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
As much as I was resistant to it at lysty, the one way trails make sense. With all the extra traffic since the recent MTB explosion, it's a pile of injuries waiting to happen.

It's really a matter of time with a lot of trails. 2 way is ok for more open trails but anything fast or techy or blind that's starting to get lots of traffic really should be starting to consider this.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Mattyp

Cows go boing
@leitch said:
it always shits me when you’re climbing up Rockwell (the only climbing trail on the Stockyards side)
It leaves something to be said for berming up and putting drops on a climb trail. The reason it's called Lactic Acid is because it was built as a quick techy climb to get the legs burning. It's 6-7min up whereas Rockwell is about double that.
Fast forward to the flow trail fad and Lactic is now more popular as a descent. If that's the case, build a new direct climb. Make it a 1 way up...The road is shit, and Rockwell is boring AF. Kind of feel sorry for the XC mob.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It leaves something to be said for berming up and putting drops on a climb trail. The reason it's called Lactic Acid is because it was built as a quick techy climb to get the legs burning. It's 6-7min up whereas Rockwell is about double that.
Fast forward to the flow trail fad and Lactic is now more popular as a descent. If that's the case, build a new direct climb. Make it a 1 way up...The road is shit, and Rockwell is boring AF. Kind of feel sorry for the XC mob.
Definitely. Rockwell is a boring climb, and Lactic is a fun climb, but not one you want to be doing on a weekend morning knowing that it's also a fun, fast descent. I agree that it's clearly been a change in riding styles that's caused the problems, but the trails should evolve in kind.
I know YY has big issues with PV and not being able to do any works, but making some calls on one-way trail designations shouldn't be too hard, particularly with a safety message... It'd be nice if the push-up track could be re-routed as a climb trail alternative to the road on the Cressy's side.

beeb

Nailed it.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
I pushed up the push up trail recently and its harder work than just riding up Rockwell/fire road! Does anyone actually use this trail?

Also, cant believe that Travs is a 2 way trail, but guess there are no signs to say otherwise. Wouldn't be a fun climb, even on an Emtb...