The You Yangs Thread

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Hopefully it doesn’t stay closed too long. Quarry pit track has been closed for months and no signs of repairs taking place.
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this as well. Not typical You Yangs trail repair time of year (too dry), but peak season.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this as well. Not typical You Yangs trail repair time of year (too dry), but peak season.
They’ve shut it like they did with rollercoaster on track 14 because it’s fcuking dangerous. Come down hot from the platform and you can’t even see the deep ruts after the first little drop until you’re in the middle of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s come unstuck because of it.

beeb

They’ve shut it like they did with rollercoaster on track 14 because it’s fcuking dangerous. Come down hot from the platform and you can’t even see the deep ruts after the first little drop until you’re in the middle of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s come unstuck because of it.
Not 100% sure, but the rollercoaster looked open yesterday? It was open at the bottom, and a bloke was having a breather waiting to drop into it at the top. We ended up doing a loop of the park so didn't come back past to see for ourselves.

It's such a fun bit of track, but needs some major drainage work to not have the same issue on repeat sadly. I got into the habit of riding it like a slalom by going off the crests onto one side of the trail, then alternating the whole way down. Extra-sketchy, and extra fun (but dear god it's terrifying if you slip into the rut).

Jpez

Down on the left!
Not 100% sure, but the rollercoaster looked open yesterday? It was open at the bottom, and a bloke was having a breather waiting to drop into it at the top. We ended up doing a loop of the park so didn't come back past to see for ourselves.

It's such a fun bit of track, but needs some major drainage work to not have the same issue on repeat sadly. I got into the habit of riding it like a slalom by going off the crests onto one side of the trail, then alternating the whole way down. Extra-sketchy, and extra fun (but dear god it's terrifying if you slip into the rut).
About a year ago I think it was closed for an extended period.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Is 14 Junction Track? It was all open on Saturday morning, but no idea which bit the roller-coaster is. The part of the track on the Kurrajong side was sandy as hell; almost got bogged in places. Stockyards side and the rocks were fine

Jpez

Down on the left!
Is 14 Junction Track? It was all open on Saturday morning, but no idea which bit the roller-coaster is. The part of the track on the Kurrajong side was sandy as hell; almost got bogged in places. Stockyards side and the rocks were fine
Yes. The roller coaster is the fast bit near the drop in for the black diamond section of Junction but heading towards stockyards. Runs parallel to the road.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Strava says it’s 57kph heading down there. Come unstuck and it’s gonna hurt. In fact I almost met a guy in the middle climbing up. Almost ended badly indeed.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You guys are nuts. Strava says my quickest through there is 52kph and I'm pretty sure I was hanging on for grim death!
I'm clearly going to have to learn how to put the power down

beeb

You guys are nuts. Strava says my quickest through there is 52kph and I'm pretty sure I was hanging on for grim death!
I'm clearly going to have to learn how to put the power down
Haha, to be honest I don't know what my top speed through there is. I just mash the pedals a much as possible before dropping in, sometimes after the first crest as well then just speed tuck and stay off the brakes. I used to try and pump the downslopes, but since the refresh the rollers are more like kickers and I tend to get air whether I want it or not!

I had full-on speed wobbles leading into the bridge one time after landing the jump of the final crest a little crossed up, that was scary AF (especially after looking at how deep that hole under the bridge is the next time I was climbing back past it - I strongly recommend it's better not to look... o_O)