The You Yangs Thread

Lost Keys - You Yangs Stockyards Car Park - Mon 14th Apr

I appear to have lost a set of keys today (Monday 14th April) that were in the front door pocket of my car. They will be one of 3 places - outside an office I went for an interview at this morning, a Servo, or Stockyards Car Park at the Youies.

If at the Youies they would be in the Stockyards car park on the side nearest the trails / toilets. The keys include keys to bike locks, padlocks, a tool chest and my roofrack - so would be VERY happy to see them back!

If anyone finds them please post here / PM me and I will make arrangements to collect them (I am based in Fitzroy, Melb).

razzeldazzel

Likes Dirt
You Yangs Current Track Condition

So i'm looking at going to the You Yangs this sunday, does anyone know what condition the DH tracks are in currently? Have they been smashed with rain?

Thanks

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Not really a favourite spot, more like our usual place to take a break. See if you can pick where it is at :)

1.jpg

Here is another to help you figure it out.

2.jpg

dunndog

Eats Squid
do the bike wash yeah

Right near the little gorge at the Barbie spot. Across the road from the toilets and pump track. East of the 'skills area', on the other side of the hill from travs and west of the rangers station.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Right near the little gorge at the Barbie spot. Across the road from the toilets and pump track. East of the 'skills area', on the other side of the hill from travs and west of the rangers station.
Jeez - you know your You Yangs well! I think that wheel cleaning ramp was the giveaway :photo:

dunndog

Eats Squid
what's like night riding there? which trails do you recommend for night riding?
It's awesome there at night. Anything on the kurrajong side is great, and depending on how good your lights are there's plenty of good riding on the stockyards side aswell. There's plenty of rock gardens with small drops in them though, if you aren't exceptionally well lit they could tend to be a nit tricky.. a run down Rockwell has no nasty surprises though, its a hoot.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Yeah on the xc side the night riding is great - though the guy I went with swore he heard something following him - paranoia most likely. Then for a buzz we tried to ride without the lights for a while using moonlight. All good until you hit the deep tree sections and lights came back on quick fast.

If you leave the plantation side at night and head to the main road, you can see Geelong alight like a Christmas tree - really nice to look at.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
rode there yesterday evening. trails are perfect, super grippy with the rain and only a few puddles.

"Oh Youies how I love thee"

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great. Now I'm very keen to give it a try. I only need to find a buddy who knows the area.
It's not hard to find your way around the Youies. When I went there the first time the place was deserted, but the trails on the east side all fit into a bowl-like area with a common base uphill of the parking area, so I started there. Went to Little River Pub for lunch and then back to the trails to ride over to the back side. It's a really fun spot and pretty well signposted.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
the Youyangs are well signposted, with trailhead maps and marker posts at most intersections. And the tracks are not a spaghetti junction like Lysterfield. Having said that a GPS application on a smartphone is a handy thing

cicot

Likes Dirt
rode there yesterday evening. trails are perfect, super grippy with the rain and only a few puddles.

"Oh Youies how I love thee"
I went yesterday evening too,for us it was the first night ride at youis. We arrived at 8.30 and left at 10.45. Really enjoyed. We re going to replicate next Thursday.

Last edited:

cicot

Likes Dirt
Did you feel you were being followed? :becky:

Which side did you ride on?
I wished so as there was just the two of us.
When we were parking last car was going to leave.
Anyway we did lactic acid, cressy, rockwell and n.2 to the car park.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
i love the youies at night.

it's a whole other experience. total zone of flowing. you feel faster and more intune, the night filters other distractions out.

still crash a heap though.

fave track for a night run is climb up lactic acid cruise round to track 14 (Junction track i think?) through the rockgardens hit 15 through the trees all the way down to the dirt jump part. long decent then for a slow climb back up. once back up to the top head down cressys or travs.

i actually learnt how to ride rockgardens better in the dark on my first hard tail. couldn't see the end of the section so i worried less and just did it.

i do miss it too.

flow_tracks

Likes Bikes
Anyone keen for a roll tomorrow? Will only be my second time at youies and i'm hitting it solo at this stage. Company would be swell!