The Woodwork thread

Jpez

Down on the left!
Years ago I was gifted an immaculate vintage #4 Stanley hand plane by an old mentor builder. Absolutely loved it. Then some chunt nicked it from a building site. Sad face.
Much like when an old pet dies I couldn’t bear to get another. Lol. Anyway several years ago I found this old Frankenstein plane for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It was so munted it just sat in my garage.
It was covered in dollops of house paint. it was made up of 3 seperate planes. Record/Marples, Stanley and another unidentified.
Both wooden handles were split and about a 5th missing off the top of the rear. The iron looked like someone had tried to sharpen it with a 9” angle grinder and it had a slight hump in the flat that took ages to hone out. The chip breaker was wonky and all the screws and moving parts were rusted and the sole plate was far from flat.
So over the course of a couple of weeks when I had time I brought it back to life.
Honed down to 3000g it cuts the hair off my arm no problem.
95EC8BC3-8901-4E0F-B7D9-E235B09ED77D.jpeg

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I have way too many hand planes...
Was given a Leigh jig a while back with plenty of bits missing. It's been a slow burn project getting it going again but got to use it finally.
Made a floating desk and drawers for my lad's room. Sapele timber recycled from a busted table.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 9.45.03 pm.png

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Dragging this thread back up I know, but pretty pleased with how this little table turned out for a friend... Tas oak top/base with a nice chamfer edge, octagonal pedestal of reclaimed messmate. Small at 650dia but it's a one bed apartment going on Airbnb so needed something that didn't take up too much floorspace but could seat two for dinner or take a laptop for someone.

http://instagr.am/p/CtISZK7S9bIWRcGNzQ5ofmrZHGQKlAZZhSM10E0/

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Very nice @leitch suits the home perfectly. How much of a challenge was the octagonal pedestal?
It was kind of a necessity to be honest... I have no way of turning an 80~90mm dowel but could obviously plane a square down to an octagon, which was a good compromise on proportionality and created a nice point of interest because of the different ways the grain presents around it. So not too difficult but some patience required to get the dimensions as even as possible

Jpez

Down on the left!
Dragging this thread back up I know, but pretty pleased with how this little table turned out for a friend... Tas oak top/base with a nice chamfer edge, octagonal pedestal of reclaimed messmate. Small at 650dia but it's a one bed apartment going on Airbnb so needed something that didn't take up too much floorspace but could seat two for dinner or take a laptop for someone.

http://instagr.am/p/CtISZK7S9bIWRcGNzQ5ofmrZHGQKlAZZhSM10E0/
Link doesn’t seem to be working for me. Can’t see it but if you keep turning out nice work you’re gonna make me look bad. :p

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Link doesn’t seem to be working for me. Can’t see it but if you keep turning out nice work you’re gonna make me look bad. :p
Ah bummer sorry:

(Wait, just realised I changed Insta to private recently. Derrr sorry)

Attachments

slowmick

38-39"
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Our bed is made from the finest Asian plywood and has been repaired multiple times.
This one is my daughters bed - full MDF construction - major repair number 3. First the screws pulled out, then one side rail snapped. Then this week the second side rail snapped. Glue screw and hope for the best.

Say no to cheap furniture.

1686277043106.png

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Our bed is made from the finest Asian plywood and has been repaired multiple times.
This one is my daughters bed - full MDF construction - major repair number 3. First the screws pulled out, then one side rail snapped. Then this week the second side rail snapped. Glue screw and hope for the best.

Say no to cheap furniture.

View attachment 400263
Which is why I made The Lad's bed frame out of 'tassie oak' (recycled from an old house frame) and used form ply for slats.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
When #1 transitioned from cot to bed I bought a cheap Amart ish pine single bed. cut that shorter and fitted a rollcage and arm guard, um, cut down playpen sides anyway. He was comfortable straight away and not worried about rolling out of bed. That gave me time to build twin singles that could be made into bunks when #2 was in process. All of those went to nieces and nephews and are in 3rd and 4th hand bedrooms still solid. if you can building your own can be, should be, is a better option.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Tung oil takes a while to dry and when it does it's more a yellow stain. I would guess that is either still wet or not pure tung oil.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Tung oil takes a while to dry and when it does it's more a yellow stain. I would guess that is either still wet or not pure tung oil.
Still pretty wet had only been on for about 5 min. It's pure Tung oil mixed 50/50 with turps as recommend on the back of the bottle.

Are you thinking it will lighten up more as it dries?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Personally I’d go mat 2 pac polyurethane. I spray 90% of my tops and furniture.
I’m not a fan of Tung oil and had dramas with it in the past.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Any oil is going to darken it. I use water based polyurethane like Scotty said when I’m looking for a clear finish. Although that’s rare.
Im using Fiddes silk as opposed to Osmo satin these days. Tung oil will give you an old fashioned look. Haven’t used it for years.