The Woodwork thread

Jpez

Down on the left!
They will do the job admiringly. Dales all getting his knickers in a twist over metallurgy and load ratings and whatnot but experience tells me they will do the job you need and do it well. Just make sure all the penetration into the timber is thread and not shank.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you still have access use M10 or M12 grade 8.8 bolts through the frame. Stainless is not as strong as gr 8.8 and the bolts are proper fasteners. Jason Jason Jason is probably right but I wouldn't use coach bolts.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
I don't have access because the frame is already sheeted, also the L brackets have 6mm holes, so M8 or M12 is out.
What thickness brackets? I’d be using 8mm. Sounds like you might have 4 or 6 mm going by the pre-filled 6mm holes. Bunnings bracket.? If so try with your hands to bend it at the bend. Doesn’t take much leverage to bend one of those.
Honestly too thin brackets are your weak spot not your bolts. Might be unorthodox but I use batten screws to fix in things like that.
* Dales recoiled in horror.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What thickness brackets? I’d be using 8mm. Sounds like you might have 4 or 6 mm going by the pre-filled 6mm holes. Bunnings bracket.? If so try with your hands to bend it at the bend. Doesn’t take much leverage to bend one of those.
Honestly too thin brackets are your weak spot not your bolts. Might be unorthodox but I use batten screws to fix in things like that.
Twice. 6mm is inadequate, imo.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not a bunnings bracket. Ordered these from a shelving shop. 6mm. Rated to 100 kg for 2. Im using 4 to 6 or 40kg. Cannot bend these even a little. I'm just wanting to make sure they don't pull out of the frame is all

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My compound slide saw is good, just been abused and not cared for in the last few years. Awkward things to store so it gets picked up and dropped and you know the rest. Those slivers are straight off the saw.

Ig I had another shed I would buy a good table saw, you know with 1m or more either side of the saw but space is not good with lathe and mill and horizontal bandsaw and work benches and belt grinder and storage shelves and bugger building another shed.

I am th8nking of getting a small bandsaw though. Maybe 255 throat. Light enough to move out of the way if needed. Trouble is woodwork is so filthy everything gets covered in dust even with decent dust control. It's a dill Emma.
Wall mounted panel saw built with ezystrut, pivoting up out of the way when not needed is the answer when space is limited, if you have the height for clearance under it when flown up out of the way.

Then a smaller, portable table saw you can wheel out of the workshop for cuts you need a fenced table saw for, should cover most needs.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Wall mounted panel saw built with ezystrut, pivoting up out of the way when not needed is the answer when space is limited, if you have the height for clearance under it when flown up out of the way.

Then a smaller, portable table saw you can wheel out of the workshop for cuts you need a fenced table saw for, should cover most needs.

I like that, almost Bunnings esque. Wall space is no issue and I do have a nice circular saw these days. Was thinking of making a panel saw jig but this might be betterer.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I like that, almost Bunnings esque. Wall space is no issue and I do have a nice circular saw these days. Was thinking of making a panel saw jig but this might be betterer.
There's a bunch of options for compact panel saw tables. I made a torsion box to do glue ups and the odd panel saw cut before we bought a table saw. A mate made on on a pivot base with wind up legs on the corners but had issues with flatness. Honestly though, a table saw on a mobile base like ours is a winner....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Are you sure that's level?

You'd hate for it to be off by a degree or two, because once you figure it out you can't unsee that...