The Woodwork thread

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
See if there are any old photos in the state library and see whether the council have old records or maps. Looks soft but that could be old age, would guess pine of some sort. What does it taste like?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’ve never really liked the look of my Sonos Play:5 speakers. I mean they’re a good looking unit, but don’t really match the look I am (or eventually will be… :oops:) going for in my living room.

This is how I had them setup originally (random shot of Ripmo #2 from the archives…)

So I commenced ‘operation hideaway’ last night.

New door frames made from Tassie Oak, mocked up in place checking fit and final stain:

Doors trimmed with hessian, power cable hole saw cutouts done, speakers setup:

And the finished result:

Wasn’t sure if it’d muffle the sound of the speakers, or cause nasty reverberations inside the TV unit, but I’ve got it playing now and all sounds good (I’m kind of surprised to be honest!). Cost me $44 dollars in materials. :)

Jpez

Down on the left!
Monster built in bookcase from 30mm x 330 mixed Australian hardwood. Progress photo.
Will be Osmo’ed and backing MDF sheets attached with a custom painted happy yellow.
Photo just doesn’t show how big this thing is. 3m tall and 3.4 overall length. Floor to ceiling and full width over doorway.
Had to climb a 8ft step ladder to get it all in frame. Really hope the fucker fits through the front door!

Scotty675

Cable thief
That’s one hell of a unit mate. That’s going to way a couple of kgs. Very impressive.
Im doing a 4m x 2.4m unit at the moment and the weight is up there. Mine isn’t full timber though. Arctic truemat style lite backs. Tas oak benchtop that wraps around a 45 degree wall.
For scale centre unit is 1600x750 and will have a tv wall mounted underneath

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That’s one hell of a unit mate. That’s going to way a couple of kgs. Very impressive.
Im doing a 4m x 2.4m unit at the moment and the weight is up there. Mine isn’t full timber though. Arctic truemat style lite backs. Tas oak benchtop that wraps around a 45 degree wall.
For scale centre unit is 1600x750 and will have a tv wall mounted underneath
View attachment 386249View attachment 386250View attachment 386251
I thought the tape was some sort of arty farty effect and thought that is cool. I am going off-line now. For a nanna nap.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
My neighbour was cutting down a huge Iron Bark and possibly a Blakely's Gum yesterday. I managed to get my hands on most of the Iron Bark and some of the smooth gum. The smooth gum was dead for a while, but still lots of weight in the wood, some beautiful rounds that might turn nicely into lamp bases or something.
The Iron Bark was living until yesterday, very wet under the bark which I've removed on most in order to cut it up without blunting my saw. I've cut about 8 slabs, 1000x500x100 so far, probably 8 more to go. My question for the brains trust, how do I store all of this and dry it properly in order to use it in the future. Would love to make a dining table out of the Iron Bark one day.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not any form of expert. Past neighbour just stacked the slabs one by one on dunnage and if outside covered with a tarp then left the ends open so air could circulate. Inside just stacked up. Nephew has done similar but rotates the slabs through every month or so. Nothing that thick though, he cuts his 25 - 50 thick.

ausdb

Being who he is
Paint the ends as quick as you can with some sort of sealer, I used to use one called Mobilcer when hacking up blocks for Wood turning. It's basically paraffin wax /water emulsion. Even house paint is better than nothing.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Thanks guys, will paint the ends @ausdb. I've found a bloke with a mill willing to run them through down to size.
On second thoughts a dining table is too ambitious for me at the moment, but I'm hoping to get a couple of slabs worth turning into a coffee table once they dry. Worth the experiment anyway.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Been a while since I got to make anything, so been enjoying faffing around with this lately. Kitchen was lacking some bench space. Had some red gum lengths that I freshened up and joined for the top, carcass is birch ply. Was reminded of a few things along the way (classics like measure twice cut once, and one I like to call “if you’re going to need to drill a hole better do it now rather than later when your drill+desired bit is too big for the shelf-to-shelf height”, etc :p) but happy with the outcome. Couple of coats of Osmo for some durability and moisture resistance. Insta link for pics because forum uploads suck.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdVKKUvJLOb/