The Woodwork thread

Jpez

Down on the left!
Heaps of buildings in WA have used Jarrah really extensively, really was shockingly wasted for a long time. My floorboards, joists, bearers, roof framing (on the original house not the extension) is all Jarrah (1950's house)
Sure thing. In WA. But Melbourne is loooong way from there and we had plenty of good trees here so was curious why someone would import that much timber. But telecom was government owned back then so no surprise I guess.
I love working with Jarrah and how it looks after.
Darker timber’s are making a bit of a comeback in the makers(wankers) world. Was considered a bit ye olde fashioned for a long while but makers are looking for new designs and looks and lo and behold Jarrah and Tassie Blackwood etc fits the bill.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Quik drive FTW. They get you on the unit price of the screws but you make it up in the labour costs.
Yep, using Wurth Assy self drilling and countersinking screws. $100 more per thousand but will save days in labour.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yep, using Wurth Assy self drilling and countersinking screws. $100 more per thousand but will save days in labour.
They are really good but can snap if you’re careless and will still need a pilot hole at ends of boards. Using real timber or engineered boards?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
140mm Merbau, I'll pre drill the joins and ends.
How do you stop the 140mm merbau curling up after 18 months? The merbau these days is still growing when it arrives on site, I've never put a moisture meter on it but it must be 18-20%. We've given up using it and will only go over 90mm with spotted gum/other hardwoods.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Not intricate but it is simple and effective. A 1650 Long/ 520 Wide / 800 High bench that can also be used as an outdoor table for 2 or 3 (you can sit from 1 side only)access from 1 side only. It's made from untreated cypress pine (aka bunnings pickets) to hopefully deal with heat and humidity

Who needs an 800mm high bench that deals with heat and humidity? Someone who is preparing to receive a sauna tent soon!

It was a fun little project. Using all the same timber was interesting to get the structure right. Ended up rock solid.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
How do you stop the 140mm merbau curling up after 18 months? The merbau these days is still growing when it arrives on site, I've never put a moisture meter on it but it must be 18-20%. We've given up using it and will only go over 90mm with spotted gum/other hardwoods.
Haven't had an issue thus far, the stuff I'm seeing is pretty good.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Hello all wood enthusiasts. Not technically a woodworking question but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what this piece may be.

I pulled this piece from under the house during renovation - the house is a Victorian workers cottage built circa 1886 (Melbourne) and when restumping, this piece was lying in the dirt supporting several original redgum stumps. So am thinking it was old in the 1880's. Not photographed is an old nail in the timber which google tells me is a hand forged nail which supports the date.

Is about 2m in length, has mortice and tenon joins on both sides and appears to have been chiseled down to taper out at the top and bottom. Found lots of interesting bits and pieces while digging around the house but the origin of this one is interesting!

Attachments

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hello all wood enthusiasts. Not technically a woodworking question but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as to what this piece may be.

I pulled this piece from under the house during renovation - the house is a Victorian workers cottage built circa 1886 (Melbourne) and when restumping, this piece was lying in the dirt supporting several original redgum stumps. So am thinking it was old in the 1880's. Not photographed is an old nail in the timber which google tells me is a hand forged nail which supports the date.

Is about 2m in length, has mortice and tenon joins on both sides and appears to have been chiseled down to taper out at the top and bottom. Found lots of interesting bits and pieces while digging around the house but the origin of this one is interesting!
I thought I'd seen that before somewhere ...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Both! I have no idea what the timber is or what it was used for. Just thinking someone here might have an idea.
Both ends the same? How long overall? Was there a church or hall on the site previously? Looks like a roof column. A rafter sat across the top and knee braces off the sides. Heavy duty. Could also be a wooden ship hull timber, same as before but upside down. Timber type??? Hard for me to tell. Could be eucalypt but could be oak... is there somewhere you can sand a small piece or chisel off a little bit to see grain and colour?

Jpez

Down on the left!
Both ends the same? How long overall? Was there a church or hall on the site previously? Looks like a roof column. A rafter sat across the top and knee braces off the sides. Heavy duty. Could also be a wooden ship hull timber, same as before but upside down. Timber type??? Hard for me to tell. Could be eucalypt but could be oak... is there somewhere you can sand a small piece or chisel off a little bit to see grain and colour?
I was thinking something similar. Possibly the center structure of a gazebo.

Yet1

Likes Dirt
One end is the the mortise join, the other the tenon. Over length is 1900mm. The natural colour is visible in the pic - is quite light.

Unclear if there was a building there prior to being built, but could be a possibility! I like the idea of it being from an old ship though.

Attachments