The Woodwork thread

Scotty675

Cable thief
So you cut the mortises into the mitre faces? How many dominos per join did you use?

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk
Yes cut the mortises into the mitre faces. As easy as set the machine to 45° and mark short point of mitres. I will do a dummy up with a small domino tomorrow to show how they work. On the table I did for the uni student I did one domino per wide board. As different timber species move at different rates I did one each species. On a typical mitre coffee table out of the same species I'd put a domino every 150mm.

Jpez

Down on the left!
So west system is your friend. Have you done any epoxy pieces? That's one think I haven't played with yet.
West is the best!
You mean like those big river tables? No that’s always seemed real next level with probably a big learning curve. Watched a few vids on YouTube though.

Scotty675

Cable thief
West is the best!
You mean like those big river tables? No that’s always seemed real next level with probably a big learning curve. Watched a few vids on YouTube though.
They are the ones. There are some good ones on you tube alright. Melting crayons as well seems to be in.

ausdb

Being who he is
90% of my work is Max feature Recycle Messmate. I go through bottles of resin Lol.
@Jpez It looks similar to WA Marri with heaps of gum veins in it. The dining table under my photos of the bowls is made from it. Beautiful timber when the veins are filled and hard as hell,
Marri
Sad to say in the good old days most of it was bulldozed and burn as waste from Jarrah logging then they started exporting it wood chips for papermaking until the furniture makers discovered it in the 80-90's over here

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's a few that I've made recently. The stickers vary a bit depending on who the bat is for, some people don't care and some people want a specific style and sticker. A couple I made for myself which replicate bats that I could never afford when I was younger.

These ones are copies for the Millichamp and Hall bats from the late 90's, the plugs don't do anything it's just a marketing ploy I think. The finished bat has huon pine plugs but they are much harder than the willow which makes cutting and sanding them flush difficult so the subsequent bats just have plain pine, not as pretty but heaps easier to do.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Here's a few that I've made recently. The stickers vary a bit depending on who the bat is for, some people don't care and some people want a specific style and sticker. A couple I made for myself which replicate bats that I could never afford when I was younger.

These ones are copies for the Millichamp and Hall bats from the late 90's, the plugs don't do anything it's just a marketing ploy I think. The finished bat has huon pine plugs but they are much harder than the willow which makes cutting and sanding them flush difficult so the subsequent bats just have plain pine, not as pretty but heaps easier to do.

I imagine those inserts would create a monstrous powerspot. Great idea.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Millichamp and Hall bats from the late 90's, the plugs don't do anything it's just a marketing ploy I think
I've still got my M&H with the plugs from around 1995. I was pretty decent at cricket back then and they did me a sweet deal on a bat, then gave me a new one when I broke it a year or two later. They were such a sweet bat compared to everything else at that time!

ausdb

Being who he is
@komdotkom they are amazing, have you ever done a gray nicolls dugout?
Whilst I was absolutely shit at cricket as a kid that was what I remember my cricket mad mate lusting after. On the other hand i was over batted with the Dennis Lillee aluminium combats at school!

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've still got my M&H with the plugs from around 1995. I was pretty decent at cricket back then and they did me a sweet deal on a bat, then gave me a new one when I broke it a year or two later. They were such a sweet bat compared to everything else at that time!
I was in NZ earlier this year and went to Laver&Wood to get a custom bat for my son. I had a long chat with James Laver who worked at M&H during that period with Julian Millichamp and he had some interesting insights into the design and variations. He claimed that they could get better balance with the plugs, but I've made three now and they all end up the same weight and small gains that you have from the air gap is lost with glue and denser plug material. He also reported that after a few seasons the bats would 'explode' and they have now reduced the plug diameter in their version of the bat. https://www.laverwood.com/product/the-mh6d/
I always wanted one after watching Bevan as a young bloke so I got the stickers reproduced, don't let yours go they are going up in value now.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yeah, I wanted one of those M&H bats a lot as a kid in the 90s. Michael Bevan had a lot to do with that.

I had to get through most of my teens with a low-end Gray-Nicholls that split at the toe within the first few weeks of owning. Someone semi-handy put a couple of dowel plugs and glue in it so it held together, but the ball never came off sweetly at the bottom of the bat..

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez It looks similar to WA Marri with heaps of gum veins in it. The dining table under my photos of the bowls is made from it. Beautiful timber when the veins are filled and hard as hell,
Marri
Sad to say in the good old days most of it was bulldozed and burn as waste from Jarrah logging then they started exporting it wood chips for papermaking until the furniture makers discovered it in the 80-90's over here
Can’t say I love Marri. I find it’s colour can vary a lot once oil is applied. Does have some crazy variation though. Here’s a bench top I did a while ago.
Jarrah and dark woods are making a comeback over here. The market is flooded with 2 bit makers like me using recycled Messmate/Stringybark to death. Some of the quality makers are now using Jarrah, Tassie Blackwood and other dark timbers in their designs.
My first ever table I made when I was 18 or so and is still in my living room today was made from Jarrah I begged off the demo guys that were tearing down and old telco yard. All the buildings framing was Jarrah. Crazy.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Made all of this 30 years ago when I was at school with Philippine Mahogany and then stained it, the wine table top is 3 pieces dowelled together, weren't allowed to waste timbre back then. Still also have a coffee table hidden away that looks like new too.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
While not a patch on the stuff here I have done a fair bit over the years:

Child’s beds (railing alongside up to 4 years old)
Bunk beds
Bookcases
DVD / CD cases
Coffee tables
Entertainment units
Toybox (060)
Gazebo
Cubby houses / tree house
Carport
Kid’s desks
My desk
Workbenches

The toybox was a scale 0-6-0 pannier tank loco (painted GWR livery) that the kids could stand in and "drive" and had toys in the boiler area. Sadly no pics that I can find of most things.

My woodwork is more utilitarian than pretty and even more construction than furniture. Gazebo and carport at our current place comes to mind.

Anyway a few pics. The lounge furniture was done while I was in WA and had ready access to jarrah for tassie oak prices. Over here it is silly pricing. One of the units is tassie oak stained to match (ish) the jarrah.

There are three of those DVD cases, one full of CDs and another with CDs and DVDs and misc shite. And a smaller square coffee table that sits next to my chair. All simple joinery with biscuit joined planks to make wide slabs as needed and blind routed shelves for strength.

I built a couple of book cases over 30 years ago and these are still in use. Just stained pine since the budget was already stretched. These are either side of our entrance.

Big one is a bee's dick over 2.5m high and 3.3m long. It comes apart at the second shelf for transport. Two of our rentals over the years had 2.4m ceilings so that one stayed in the garages.

I used to do fancy woodworking with my father when I was at school and uni, he had decent gear which disappeared after he died (I was too far away though I do know where it went!!!). He used to make trophies and various boxes and cabinets and so on. The only bit I have done was I made a jewelry box for my wife for her birthday a lot of years ago.

I would get shot for not dusting it off... If she knew. This is jarrah too if I recall correctly. Routed joints with a borrowed jig so no great skill required.