The Woodwork thread

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A question for the brains trust.. looking to build a mobile chicken coop that will obviously be outdoors all the time. It'll have a corrugated iron roof and mesh sides and floor. What wood would woodworkers recommend? I want it to last, and not poison the chickens.

Jpez

Down on the left!
A question for the brains trust.. looking to build a mobile chicken coop that will obviously be outdoors all the time. It'll have a corrugated iron roof and mesh sides and floor. What wood would woodworkers recommend? I want it to last, and not poison the chickens.
If you could find say Vic ash hardwood and oil it with a vegetable based oil it will be fine. Might be a bit exxy though in the sizes you’d want to use. Maybe if you have access to a table saw you can buy KD framing timber and rip to desired sizes.

Elbo

If you could find say Vic ash hardwood and oil it with a vegetable based oil it will be fine. Might be a bit exxy though in the sizes you’d want to use. Maybe if you have access to a table saw you can buy KD framing timber and rip to desired sizes.
Thanks Jpez. Is Vic Ash pricey once you get to longer lengths? The coop design I'm looking at copying is only about 4 foot x 4 foot and 2 foot high. I have some F17 hardwood laying around that might be up to the task? Is linseed oil suitable for outdoor use?

Elbo

What are you protecting against? Rot or termites? Ash is expensive.
Both really. Don't want to encourage termites and don't want to have to rebuild it every year from falling apart.
I've been doing a bit more research and like the look of this design, so most of the wood would be protected from the elements and it doesn't rest on the ground as it's designed to be moveable on wheels.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Thanks Jpez. Is Vic Ash pricey once you get to longer lengths? The coop design I'm looking at copying is only about 4 foot x 4 foot and 2 foot high. I have some F17 hardwood laying around that might be up to the task? Is linseed oil suitable for outdoor use?
F17 is perfect. Only mentioned Vic ash as it comes in a variety of sizes you’d likely need for a chicken coop. linseed oil would work well.
edit: ah see the pic. framing timber would be perfect. Pine would be fine inside if it’s protected enough.

ausdb

Being who he is
Playing devils advocate here, do you really want/need to build it out of wood? The one my FIL built for my kids is made of pretty light gauge folded angle, about 25mm square mesh and corrugated iron. It's pretty solid and also more than one person can move easily. I think timber would be even heavier.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Playing devils advocate here, do you really want/need to build it out of wood? The one my FIL built for my kids is made of pretty light gauge folded angle, about 25mm square mesh and corrugated iron. It's pretty solid and also more than one person can move easily. I think timber would be even heavier.
I like this idea. Steel is also good.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Also, consider the smaller 10mm mesh - it's better for keeping mice out.

ausdb

Being who he is
It's pretty basic, pretty much a rectangle about 2 x 1m one end is clad and the other is mesh. I've temporarily chucked a couple of sheets of iron over the mesh roof as it's winter and some days they don't get let out.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Why keep the mice out, it's pretty much Russian roulette for any mouse that gets in ours if the chooks are awake!
Haha, true - but they do get in at night which means either the food gets nibbled away or it sets the chooks off.

ausdb

Being who he is
Haha, true - but they do get in at night which means either the food gets nibbled away or it sets the chooks off.
Fair call, pellets are cheap and they're far enough from the house I don't hear them. They go batshit crazy when they get a live one tho!

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
The customer was clear on their vision and wanted to see the full dowel at the front. The rear is notched so I could rip the dowel down the guts and put a backing sheet on it. The front dowels are the hero. Notch the front too and you lose that effect.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I can see it working with none notched, rear notched or both. Nonetheless nice.
Yep that’s the beauty of custom work. Make it however you like. In this case the final resting place is against a wall. Full dowels at the rear would not allow a backing sheet to be attached and with this design it needed the bracing of the backing sheet and for crap to not fall off the back. But believe me. I spent way too many hours mocking up different versions. This won out for practically, sitting hard against the wall and the bracing/backing sheet. and the client liked it.