The watch thread.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
A $10,000 Oakley watch?! The ultimate bogan watch? :behindsofa:

Think I would rather an S-Works Epic or perhaps a cheap Breitling:p
You would get quite a nice Breitling for $9999.95..........

Bogan.... well i didnt wanna say!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a Tissot T-race. It's alright. I wouldn't buy another Tissot. The wife has a Baume and Mercier that she likes.

I was looking at a Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS or Calibre 17 RS2 but the two dealers I spoke to said they'd had a 25% return rate on Tags for warranty work within 12 months so that put me off.

At the moment I like the Tudor Fastrider but I'd like to look at one in person first.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
You would get quite a nice Breitling for $9999.95..........
True, I did try one on for a size a while back. Was rather nice but a tad chunky for my now slender wrist (all that riding has led me to dropping weight everywhere :p) - I also baulked at the $25k pricetag :p
I have found many watches nowadays sit so "high" on my wrist I can hardly the sleeve of my business shirt over them. I think it looks a bit "tryhard" to intentionally have your watch showing off. Keeping it under the sleeve is much more subtle.

Bogan.... well i didnt wanna say!
Glad I wasn't the only one ;-)

0psi

Eats Squid
[video=youtube;dkp9WfqX0lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkp9WfqX0lw[/video]

It's just stunning. I'd take it over any Breitling any day. Having said that I'd probably take a Seiko or Tissot over a Breitling, I think they are bloody horrible.

camzh

Likes Dirt
^ I'd never spend that kind of money on watch that's not made by a watch company.
I'll side with those that call it bogan :)

not all Breitlings are ugly.

this aint bad:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oakley, may as well have fossil written on it, regardless of movement. Just another POS with a tactical buzzword title.

I've an early series tag link that has brilliant internals, apparently as good as they get. As for the link band, multiple pins gave out on mine at around the 7 year mark, only wearing it for about 2 months each year (2 pin ends wore down + pin sockets seemed to enlarge). With some Loctite it's back together, but the two proper watch makers I've been to both shook their head at any repair other than a temporary Loctite solution - tag repair is over $1k for a band, fuck that. So it's mostly in a draw being mostly useless as it wont take a normal band.

I got given a g-shock, it's still unused in a box somewhere. The two better non-digital watches I've had are a mkII seafighter (good, simple, effective no bs watch that I picked up before my last deployment, we weren't too taken with watches that made any stupid alarm noises/vibrations or contained led lights) and a maratac pilot. My maratac has served me well also, it's cheap, clean and dependable - if only it had a bezel I would not have got the mkII. I currently use a suunto ambit and love it. My picks are the ambit (digital) and maratac (analogue), the mkII is discontinued.

Last edited:

TM2

Likes Bikes
That Oakley is the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time. Got one semi-decent watch when I was eighteen, wore it out to the pub and promptly lost it, swore never to wear anything that expensive and pointless again, doesn't stop me from looking though, but at the rate I lose sunglasses etc. I realise an expensive watch is not for me.

Capone

Likes Dirt
I've got a Tissot T-race. It's alright. I wouldn't buy another Tissot. The wife has a Baume and Mercier that she likes.

I was looking at a Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 36 RS or Calibre 17 RS2 but the two dealers I spoke to said they'd had a 25% return rate on Tags for warranty work within 12 months so that put me off.

At the moment I like the Tudor Fastrider but I'd like to look at one in person first.

Tudor is the classy Rolex. Nice pick

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The new Fastrider Black Shield in the bronze colour is pretty cool! I much prefer it to the SS variations.

I was pretty keen on one, but I figure if I'm going to get a nice watch I may as well double down and go for an Audemars Piguet Diver. Might have to wait until I graduate and have a stable job, rather than blowing everything I've got at the moment haha :yell:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Does anyone know much about Steinhart watches?

Swiss made, automatic movement and looks extremely similar to a submariner... and they're bloody cheap (~350 euro or so). The company is pretty new though - I think they've only been operating for around 10 years or so.

I've yet to find any bad reviews, but I haven't looked that hard either.

1164231486O1_vinred_03.jpg

Last edited:

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know much about Steinhart watches?

Swiss made, automatic movement and looks extremely similar to a submariner... and they're bloody cheap (~350 euro or so). The company is pretty new though - I think they've only been operating for around 10 years or so.

I've yet to find any bad reviews, but I haven't looked that hard either.

View attachment 277440
I hate you. I'm trying to save for a new road bike and you've just diverted my attention with these watches. Very nice, decent price point and not very common either. Good find.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If you are into watches and want a good forum, try this.
www.tz-uk.com

I've been a member for a couple of years, pop on now and again to drool at all the nice pieces on there.

It can take a while to get signed up from what i remember..... but worth it.

Great info, reviews and sales .............

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
My Oris TT1 Divers automatic 300 mt
As I have tiny wrists the bezel is only 33mm across.
I don't wear it much [wont get through the metal detector at work and I cant be arsed taking it off to shove it through the xray machine] so I would sell it given a decent offer. All boxes, receipts etc included
Love the crystal back showing the movement

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Ok girls. Time to school ya on watches. Patek Philippe, there is NO better.

The first one the wife said maybe in 5-10yrs. The second, hahahahaha. Druel druel ($150k)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Vacheron Constantin
Audemar Piguet
Jacob and co.
Girard Perregaux
[video=youtube;hQ7W9USNPYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7W9USNPYM[/video]

If you're going to go there do it properly.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Philippe Dufour disagrees! His watches would have to be on top of the list.

Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin are definitely the big three! But you can't forget the Germans. A. Lange & Sohne's movements are on another level of finishing/craftsmenship! It should really be the big four haha