The watch thread.

0psi

Eats Squid
and the problem is lol
I'm already poor enough with my penchant for exotic bike parts, I don't need to add stupid watches to the mix! :baby: No more than $5k on a watch for me, beyond that I'd start to be too worried to wear it.

On a side note I've found my brothers watch! Seiko SNZF29J1. 38mm case skeleton back Auto. Ticks all boxes.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Try swatch - they do decent scuba swatches.

I picked this one up from one of their outlets, and had the band changed to a black rubber band for $30 all up :)

poita

Likes Dirt
I'm already poor enough with my penchant for exotic bike parts, I don't need to add stupid watches to the mix! :baby: No more than $5k on a watch for me, beyond that I'd start to be too worried to wear it.

On a side note I've found my brothers watch! Seiko SNZF29J1. 38mm case skeleton back Auto. Ticks all boxes.
Good choice, was on my list but ended getting something else. I bought mine in Asia, no problems.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Oh goodie another thread I can drool over.

Here's my favourite watch of mine.

Nixon Simplify | 51-30 Chrono

Not the lightest watch I have owned, weighing in at 280g, but after getting used to it. Love it!

My dream watch would be this G-Shock, can't remember model number though. Doesn't really matter though. Limited Japan release and was a collaboration between 2 designers from memory. No chance. No $$$$

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
Next on the list for me will probably be one of these three

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-maldives-limited-edition/01-643-7654-7185-set-mb
http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-tubbataha-limited-edition/01-749-7663-7185-set-mb
http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-aquis-depth-gauge/01-733-7675-4154-set

But what I really want is to find one of these

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-great-barrier-reef-limited-edition/01-643-7609-8585-set-rs

I also had a look at one of these the other day and it was lovely, reasonably priced too

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-artelier-skeleton/01-734-7670-4051-07-8-21-77

Yeah I'm in a bit of an Oris thing at the moment. I love their styling and the fact that they support marine programs with their limited edition watches.

Matt H

Eats Squid
I'm at a real crossroads with watches at the moment. I owned a citizen ecodrive thing which I liked - steel bracelet, black face w/Roman numerals, pretty nice for the price I guess (was around 450rrp but I think I got it for low $300s..). But my girlfriend dropped it on some tiles and it died, and the repair quote was close to what I paid for it.

I want to get something a bit nicer though but the problem is that there seems to be a gap in the market - citizen/Seiko/etc at around 500 or so and then a jump straight up to the multi thousand dollar tags, omega, etc.

What do I do? I want something tough enough to use every day but dressy enough to wear with a suit.

Basically I have no idea what I want or how much I'm even willing to pay. Can anyone help me out?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm at a real crossroads with watches at the moment. I owned a citizen ecodrive thing which I liked - steel bracelet, black face w/Roman numerals, pretty nice for the price I guess (was around 450rrp but I think I got it for low $300s..). But my girlfriend dropped it on some tiles and it died, and the repair quote was close to what I paid for it.

I want to get something a bit nicer though but the problem is that there seems to be a gap in the market - citizen/Seiko/etc at around 500 or so and then a jump straight up to the multi thousand dollar tags, omega, etc.

What do I do? I want something tough enough to use every day but dressy enough to wear with a suit.

Basically I have no idea what I want or how much I'm even willing to pay. Can anyone help me out?
I can help you out....
There's not many out there that cover both ie. Wear with a singlet one day and the next day with a suit.

Watches are like bikes, one of every situation!

I love Sinn, reasonably priced and well regarded, excellent quality and you will pick one up new from close on $1000.....

Something like this..
https://www.sinnwatches.com.au/content/556

There are dozens on quality watch companies making watches that are not in the main stream.... thats where I'd be looking.....

0psi

Eats Squid
Oris fit that bill nicely. If you shop around they can be found starting at about $900 and go up to about $4000.

Tissot are also pretty nice, love my Sea Touch. Gets a lot of compliments, looks fantastic and the touch features are always a crowd pleaser. Turn the compass on and the next thing you hear is usually, "Oh my god! That's so cool."
Wait till a sale comes up and you can pick up a Sea Touch for about $1300 and I've seen them as low as $800 online.

I was always a little sceptical of Gregorys, I thought their buzz to be let in thing was a bit wanky but I went into one a while back as they were the only authorised Tissot dealer in the area and I was quite surprised. I walked in wearing an old t-shirt and boardies and the girl serving me was lovely, even before I pulled out a limited edition watch that I needed to get serviced. The girl serving me was also quite forthcoming about when their next sale would be starting and how much of a discount would be offered on the Oris skeleton watch I was looking at. Maybe give them a go. I was also looking at a Tissot to get as my daily watch and likewise she mentioned when they would be on sale next and roughly what price they'd come down to.

Edit: What about some of the better Seikos? They go all the way up to crazy thing like this minute repeater.

[video=vimeo;21939222]http://vimeo.com/21939222[/video]

Note: If you have music playing turn it off before watching the video.

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
^
Tissot is your answer.
+1

If you don't want to spend too much then have a look at Tissot. I had a Tissot for 10 years before I changed, it took an absolute beating when I was working underground and is still running today. Some of the higher end Seikos are worth a look too.

love the grand Carreras. If and rs2 came into my life I wouldn't complain
Thanks. The rs2 is also a looker. I originally wanted something from IWC but the watches are just too big. My wrist is not big and the Carrerra sits on it nicely, any bigger it would be uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
Good recommendation on tissot, guys. I stumbled across this one which I'm a fan of. It's kinda that half way mix between an overbuilt dive watch and whimsy dress watch. Time to start saving I guess...

Capone

Likes Dirt
Good recommendation on tissot, guys. I stumbled across this one which I'm a fan of. It's kinda that half way mix between an overbuilt dive watch and whimsy dress watch. Time to start saving I guess...

Tissot is my experience are the biggest piles of crud in the world. Worst warranty and service known to man. Build quality isnt great either.

If you want Swiss play with the big boys (Omega, Tag, Etc) however if your wallet cant stretch that far then Citizen or Seiko make great timepieces for not a lot of money.

scblack

Leucocholic

You're a student, so here's your answer:

watch.jpg

Thats my watch, $15 from China - its lasted 9 months through some pretty good punishment too. One button fell off, but they do nothing anyway........it tells me the time.

I am not into spending big dollars on watches. Maybe one day I will but I have no interest to be honest.:eek:hwell:

0psi

Eats Squid
Tissot. Worst warranty and service known to man.
-snip-
Omega
You do realise warranty and service of these two is handled by the same people right?

Tissot, Omega, Longines, Certina, Hamilton and many more are all owned by the Swatch group.

Can't comment on the cheaper Tissots but the build quality on mine is excellent as is the wife's Glam Sport.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Have owned a Tag Heuer Kirium since around 2002 and worn it pretty much everyday since. It's probably seen as a bit "outdated" compared to the chunkier look of nowadays, but I still really like it. I see it as a bit of "classic" given Tag stopped producing them just after I got one. I actually wandered into the Tag Heuer shop recently and couldn't find a watch in their range I liked enough to replace the Kirium.

Too lazy to take a shot of mine but it looks exactly like this one....

kirium_blue.jpg

0psi

Eats Squid
I am not into spending big dollars on watches. Maybe one day I will but I have no interest to be honest.:eek:hwell:
I was exactly the same until a friend handed me one of these

http://au.oakley.com/products/6780/...cm_mmc=gbase_csfeeds-_-PLA-_-watches-_-10-045

If it had a solid case back I probably wouldn't have taken too much notice but with the display back I could see the craftsmanship that went into it. I still like seeing a rotor whirling around inside an automatic watch.

Capone

Likes Dirt
You do realise warranty and service of these two is handled by the same people right?

Tissot, Omega, Longines, Certina, Hamilton and many more are all owned by the Swatch group.

Can't comment on the cheaper Tissots but the build quality on mine is excellent as is the wife's Glam Sport.
Sure do, thats why i commented on Tissot build quality and why i now own a Tag