The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That's looking like a late 90's/early 2000's low end Goose with an older Amplifier (maybe a B2) fork. @Chriso_29er I think it's alloy from the fatness of the tubes. The paint looks post 2000,

I sold Mongies in the shop I worked in until 98 and the Y front triangle came in then and stayed until about 2003 maybe, @Haakon what year is yours? I reckon this was after that.

Fork would be worth way more than the bike. It would suit a 95 or older Mongoose.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That's looking like a late 90's/early 2000's low end Goose with an older Amplifier (maybe a B2) fork. @Chriso_29er I think it's alloy from the fatness of the tubes. The paint looks post 2000,

I sold Mongies in the shop I worked in until 98 and the Y front triangle came in then and stayed until about 2003 maybe, @Haakon what year is yours? I reckon this was after that.

Fork would be worth way more than the bike. It would suit a 95 or older Mongoose.
Mine is a MY2000 NX 7.3 :)

safreek

Does it have a name on the frame?
Looks like a steel frame?

Mongoose IBOC team SX from 1995 was the bike that had the AMP Research F2.
The year before had something called the Mongoose Amplifier linkage fork.
But these were lugged carbon frames.
Yeah man, it's just a rockadile al

safreek

Yeah mate, pretty sure I saw these frames many years ago, but definitely post 2000 I think, and low end for sure.
I got it because the fork looked cool and as an anti junkie non stealie bike.
You now have me worried someone might steal it for the fork, I am only going to put spare parts on it. Glad the fork works as I committed before seeing it

Haakon

Keeps on digging
With that style fork, out of interest, do you still ride it
Had a RS Judy XC on it when new, been running a Marzochi Bomber coil fork since 2007. Yes, still ride it sometimes. It was my only bike from 2000 to 2011 or so, and then was a commuter on slicks for a few more years.

Even with a new Orange, a carbon Trance and a few other toys in the shed, its the one bike id cry the most over if it was pinched... Lots of sentimental value :)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a market for vintage Marins? A mate has one from 2000 which he paid 1900gpb for at the time. He's just purchased a new Scott so wants to move it on but has no idea if jts worth $20 or $200
I have never seen it, he just showed me a picture of it and I let him ride my Paradox after the laughing subsided.
I reckon it's one of these

safreek

Is there a market for vintage Marins? A mate has one from 2000 which he paid 1900gpb for at the time. He's just purchased a new Scott so wants to move it on but has no idea if jts worth $20 or $200
I have never seen it, he just showed me a picture of it and I let him ride my Paradox after the laughing subsided.
View attachment 380706
I think he will be disappointed with the price he will get, the old Marin's aren't really all that collectable. Better to split it and try to get a bit more than complete.
I'd give him a couple hungie if he was local

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
View attachment 380706
Aim high and see how you go

I recently spent $200 on an old lowish spec barracuda because I couldn't find one anywhere, rarity and nostalgia will drive price. If it's reasonably high spec it might be fairly collectible. Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think he will be disappointed with the price he will get, the old Marin's aren't really all that collectable. Better to split it and try to get a bit more than complete.
I'd give him a couple hungie if he was local
I would have to agree but I do have a soft spot for the vintage Eldridge Grade HT in that funky grey.

It is pity since the Marin Rift Zone looks like it would work quite well.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley
It is hard to make sense of it all. It might go the way of vintage BMX one day.

Any rare exotica like Cook Bros or Kooka cranks, Paul's derailleurs, Syncros Cattle prods, anything Fat Chance in good condition, M900/M950 groupset, etc can go for nutty amounts at times.

I'll start the trend here. LX is awesome.

safreek

I would have to agree but I do have a soft spot for the vintage Eldridge Grade HT in that funky grey.

It is pity since the Marin Rift Zone looks like it would work quite well.
Don't get me wrong, I would ride the Marin for sure, just not much.
I got a prophet frame and lefty for 350 and sold a Prophet frame and lefty fit the same.

The frame and lefty I sold are on eBay at the moment, frame is around 400+ and lefty close to 500, be surprised if the dude gets anywhere near that.

I guess aim high with older stuff, all that can happen is it does not sell.

safreek

Aim high and see how you go

I recently spent $200 on an old lowish spec barracuda because I couldn't find one anywhere, rarity and nostalgia will drive price. If it's reasonably high spec it might be fairly collectible. Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Have to say, I was pretty happy with the money I got for a lot of old stuff I sold recently. Guess you need to find the right person and stick to your price.

I have some super cool Hayes 4 pot you can have for a couple hundred;)