The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Finished building this on the weekend and rode some trails. Really comfy ride, but super steep and sketchy front end (BMX stem doesn't help, but it's all the Z1's will accomodate on this frame). I might ride it like this for a while, then rebuild it with a rigid front fork as a 'gravel grinder'
The shakedown ride went pretty well, although freewheeling down the road back home I thought I'd broken a spoke as it sounded like the tyre was buzzing the frame. A quick check narrowed it down to something in the hub. I pulled it apart tonight and the pawls are fine. Cleaned everything, put some sewing machine oil on the pawls and put it back together. Will keep an eye on it, but maybe the freehub isn't liking such a big modern cassette on it.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Stumbled across this in my mums partners shed. Trying to work out an excuse today to go back there and take it apart/put it back together again.
I cant find much on the net about the brand, are they Australian?

ausdb

Being who he is
Stumbled across this in my mums partners shed. Trying to work out an excuse today to go back there and take it apart/put it back together again.
View attachment 370352
Yes they are Aussie, pretty sure they were made in Adelaide. My very first "MTB" shaped object was a yellow Ricardo with thumb shifters, canti's and one of those smoky paint schemes so beloved of the 80's
Best place to research them would be BNA forums

Actually just go here Ricardo Appreciation Society

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
Thanks man, I will have a squiz. Moving back over here next year and I have talked him into letting me restore it.
I have very little experience with the older tech, will be an experience.
Questions will start flowing about mid July next year.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
View attachment 370352
Maybe I'm way off but that just looks like your typical cheap department store bike?
"Shimano SIS" decal and on the seat stay, steel seatpost, side stand, doesn't look like it's anything special.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
Possibly a solid buy for a collector

Check those mudguards!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I had a blue one. Yes the guards were full moto but so effective in the clag of the Illawarra escarpment. Not much use in the dusty pines of Canberra though!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tobbogonist

a registered member
Maybe I'm way off but that just looks like your typical cheap department store bike?
"Shimano SIS" decal and on the seat stay, steel seatpost, side stand, doesn't look like it's anything special.
Your probably right, i dont know shit i just spotted it and was all 'found a bike!'