The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepants
Is there a market for vintage Marins? A mate has one from 2000 which he paid 1900gpb for at the time. He's just purchased a new Scott so wants to move it on but has no idea if jts worth $20 or $200
I have never seen it, he just showed me a picture of it and I let him ride my Paradox after the laughing subsided.
I reckon it's one of these
View attachment 380706
Aim high and see how you go

I recently spent $200 on an old lowish spec barracuda because I couldn't find one anywhere, rarity and nostalgia will drive price. If it's reasonably high spec it might be fairly collectible. Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Wheel size expert
I think he will be disappointed with the price he will get, the old Marin's aren't really all that collectable. Better to split it and try to get a bit more than complete.
I'd give him a couple hungie if he was local
I would have to agree but I do have a soft spot for the vintage Eldridge Grade HT in that funky grey.

It is pity since the Marin Rift Zone looks like it would work quite well.

Mr Crudley

Wheel size expert
Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley
It is hard to make sense of it all. It might go the way of vintage BMX one day.

Any rare exotica like Cook Bros or Kooka cranks, Paul's derailleurs, Syncros Cattle prods, anything Fat Chance in good condition, M900/M950 groupset, etc can go for nutty amounts at times.

I'll start the trend here. LX is awesome.

safreek

I'm not here right now, leave a message
I would have to agree but I do have a soft spot for the vintage Eldridge Grade HT in that funky grey.

It is pity since the Marin Rift Zone looks like it would work quite well.
Don't get me wrong, I would ride the Marin for sure, just not much.
I got a prophet frame and lefty for 350 and sold a Prophet frame and lefty fit the same.

The frame and lefty I sold are on eBay at the moment, frame is around 400+ and lefty close to 500, be surprised if the dude gets anywhere near that.

I guess aim high with older stuff, all that can happen is it does not sell.

safreek

Aim high and see how you go

I recently spent $200 on an old lowish spec barracuda because I couldn't find one anywhere, rarity and nostalgia will drive price. If it's reasonably high spec it might be fairly collectible. Utterly mind boggling what some mid to high end components from 20+ years ago are going for now. If it's clean any everything's working it might be right up someone's alley

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Have to say, I was pretty happy with the money I got for a lot of old stuff I sold recently. Guess you need to find the right person and stick to your price.

I have some super cool Hayes 4 pot you can have for a couple hundred;)

safreek

True, if you are lucky then you might have something rare or desirable and then the punters will be beating down your door.
Its amazing how quickly the value of some of the older stuff goes up. This was for sale for 400 only a few days ago. 850 now

Rusty_68

Likes Dirt
Very tempted by this beauty....must resist...incoming Ritchey...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Looks magnificent, but my God that is a lot of doe for an old girl that's not even complete!

iconic

Likes Dirt

There was one sold locally (in Brisbane) for $1000aud the other week, was a purple coloured one. Was complete, but I don't know my retro stuff so wasn't game to offer big money. Seller had it up for offers, someone in VIC got it

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Did something really really stupid
The bike that started it all for me is up for sale on Facebook. Never thought I’d see one. Indi-500 Bush Bandit. Great name for a mtb and a ~9 year old philanderer. Mine was black fade paint though.

Was tempted to buy but I think it’s best left as a good memory.

safreek

Put myself down for a vintage ride at Daisy hill, cancelled at the last minute due to a little bit of dampness after I got to brizzy.
Thought fuck it, still went for a ride and the tracks were fine. Glad I did it, probably some of the old fellas may ragret not doing it.

So many people on normal modern bikes having a ball. Has life become so serious that we can't go for a ride in the rain and mud on a vintage bike without worrying about getting it dirty.

Or did they just know I was coming and changed the venue :p

Photo of my Baby

safreek

That tracks.
Maybe they knew I was south Australian and got worried when I pulled out a tarp.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure that even someone like you would ride in a bit of dampness on a treasured orange.

moorey

has arseritis
Maybe they knew I was south Australian and got worried when I pulled out a tarp.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure that even someone like you would ride in a bit of dampness on a treasured orange.
Way to assume you know everyone else’s motives and reasons.

Some people are actually trying to preserve trails by not riding them wet. I don’t fear the damp…but I change WHERE I ride to suit the condition. Some tracks here are unaffected by rain, others get destroyed.

safreek

Way to assume you know everyone else’s motives and reasons.

Some people are actually trying to preserve trails by not riding them wet. I don’t fear the damp…but I change WHERE I ride to suit the condition. Some tracks here are unaffected by rain, others get destroyed.
Seems like a lot of people were out riding so assumed it was ok.
Way to assume I'm doing the wrong thing Mr preacher.
Is there nothing that you don't whinge about, seriously

Last edited: