The stupid questions thread.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Get back to stupid questions not stupid posts with words beginning with p or any other letter from any alphabet. Or numbers or symbol.

You can't compete with John Cooper Clarke so desist.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thought it might save me some effort carrying two items in the backpack for a 14km round trip for some trail maintenance, Good or bad idea ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What the fuck am I doing wrong?

So I have new (current model) Shimano xt brakes. I've assembled them just like I have all my other xt brakes (barb, olive, compression but...) and here comes the bleed. My usual technique (for the last couple of years) has been to send a load of oil from the reservoir down into the syringe and after letting any bubbles settle out of the way I send the oil back up the pipes and presto! I've got me some nice crisp brakes.

So the issue is, I can't send oil from the bottom up! No matter how hard I push the plunger on the syringe it just isn't going into the caliper. I can send it down from the top without any worries at all, I can send it for days...just can't initiate the reverse bleed.

I am wondering if perhaps I have a massive air bubble in around the pistons that won't budge or something similar?

I bled the front brake using this technique without any issue. My current plan is to go for a ride and see how the brake works and hopefully loosen up whatever the issue is. No, unlike last new bike I haven't lost a toothpick into the brake line.

Lastly, yes this issue is preventing me from making a fresh out with my new bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Brand new brakes ?

Have you actually used these brakes at all before the bleed ?

Go for a ride an confirm there is nothing wrong with them.

Were the levers separate from the hoses ? I just pushed my XT hoses on and didn't bother bleeding them, have worked 100% so far.

Litenbror

Eats Squid

So I have new (current model) Shimano xt brakes. I've assembled them just like I have all my other xt brakes (barb, olive, compression but...) and here comes the bleed. My usual technique (for the last couple of years) has been to send a load of oil from the reservoir down into the syringe and after letting any bubbles settle out of the way I send the oil back up the pipes and presto! I've got me some nice crisp brakes.

So the issue is, I can't send oil from the bottom up! No matter how hard I push the plunger on the syringe it just isn't going into the caliper. I can send it down from the top without any worries at all, I can send it for days...just can't initiate the reverse bleed.

I am wondering if perhaps I have a massive air bubble in around the pistons that won't budge or something similar?

I bled the front brake using this technique without any issue. My current plan is to go for a ride and see how the brake works and hopefully loosen up whatever the issue is. No, unlike last new bike I haven't lost a toothpick into the brake line.

Lastly, yes this issue is preventing me from making a fresh out with my new bike.
If you connect the syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper are you able to draw oil out? If it was a large air bubble you would think you could draw it out even if you couldn't push it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you connect the syringe to the bleed nipple on the caliper are you able to draw oil out? If it was a large air bubble you would think you could draw it out even if you couldn't push it.
Yep, but with a little effort. Pulled out a lot of small air bubbles. squeezed a few loads of oil down from the top no worries.

Brand new brakes ?

Have you actually used these brakes at all before the bleed ?

Go for a ride an confirm there is nothing wrong with them.

Were the levers separate from the hoses ? I just pushed my XT hoses on and didn't bother bleeding them, have worked 100% so far.
Brand spanking new. I managed to loose a bit of oil our of both levers, different way to each lever, so required a bleed to get things up and running. The front is great.

Just finished dinner, so its go time. He fucking things better work because I have already put the dirt tyres back on my scout! I don't want to ride hose to work in a white rabbit panic tomorrow morning!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yep, but with a little effort. Pulled out a lot of small air bubbles. squeezed a few loads of oil down from the top no worries.

Brand spanking new. I managed to loose a bit of oil our of both levers, different way to each lever, so required a bleed to get things up and running. The front is great.

Just finished dinner, so its go time. He fucking things better work because I have already put the dirt tyres back on my scout! I don't want to ride hose to work in a white rabbit panic tomorrow morning!
Not sure what's going on this is the same method I always used with all my Shimano brakes including the current series. Might be something stuck in the line from when you cut it?

moorey

call me Mia

Removed the plunger from funnel?
Undone the bleed nipple enough?
Old syringe not sticky?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Removed the plunger from funnel?
Undone the bleed nipple enough?
Old syringe not sticky?
I have run through this checklist a few times! Yes to all, I even undid the bleed nipple further than I usually would to be sure.

Just pulled up for a coffee and the brake has been playing up for duration of the ride. I would describe the issue as:
- first draw on lever and it feels squishy, like a shitty bleed. The lever comes in a fair way but not all the way to the bar and then grabs rotor.

- upon release of the lever returns slower than it should, but not stupidly slow.

- the pads don't fully retract and slow the rear wheel down.

- if grabbed immediately again the lever feels similar to the way that avid brakes used to feel when they would mysteriously seize up. That barely able to move jammed feel.

- after a few moments it feels normal again.

The pads and spring are correctly fitted. They brakes were bled with the pads removed and the Shimano bleed block installed.

I didn't cut this line.