The start of ...... The End

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Quickly approaching 44yrs I've noticed that the hills are getting that little bit steeper, flats are just that little bit harder. I remember when I used to feel strong whilst busting up those steeps, but now I feel like I just barely hang on. Maybe it's just a motivational thing..

When I used to play alot of golf in my younger days I remember one of the members (who used to hit it a country mile) saying that when he got into his forties, almost overnight he lost like 30% of his strength.

Definitely, over the last couple of years I've noticed big detereation in my eye sight, sense of balance has gone out the window. There's been a couple of times I've fallen off the bike whilst just sitting on it.... Is this it? The start of The End? ... Should I be looking into 29ers :)

Curious to hear other experiences.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Quickly approaching 44yrs I've noticed that the hills are getting that little bit steeper, flats are just that little bit harder. I remember when I used to feel strong whilst busting up those steeps, but now I feel like I just barely hang on. Maybe it's just a motivational thing..

There's been a couple of times I've fallen off the bike whilst just sitting on it.... Is this it? The start of The End? ... Should I be looking into 29ers :)

Curious to hear other experiences.
The good news, plenty of guys (& some gals) that are really fast in their late 50's. I started riding in my late 40's about 7yrs ago. There was a guy in the local club 20yrs older than me that still rode well, so i though why not take mtbing up.

The reality - it gets harder to maintain fitness and especially core strength for office workers like me. Yes, eye sight / balance etc slowly gets worse. Motivation is the key, you have to enjoy and keep it interesting. Mix it up with some swimming and gym, avoid hangovers. Wheel size will make a dif on XC enduro rides, it's the motor that counts though.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hahahaha, I'm 53 and just rode 910 kms off road in 9 days in Sth Africa with friends, one's 62 one's 73. You poor old thing!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Hehe... That's awesome, but did you guys find that there was a time when it all started going south? Like you could ride 1000km but then could only manage 800km, bench 200 but then could only do 180 etc etc.

Interested to see if people experienced a specific point(age) where old age started to win :)

Pastavore

Eats Squid
In my experience, yes there are differences, but they are not insurmountable.

Most people will lose a bit of anaerobic capacity, a bit of top end, but tend to get a bit better endurance.

It takes longer to recover from injury, longer to get over illnesses, need to be more diligent about eating well and recovery.

But on the plus side, we know our bodies better, we are smarter ( are maybe better tactically), and maybe afford better equipment?

So in summary, I'm not going backwards too much, I just need to work smarter and harder for it.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Complete opposite for me. I started riding a year ago, and am now 42 - turning 43.

Prior to starting mtbing in 2013, I use to spend my days on the couch, eating corn chips and smoking too packets of smokes a day.

In 2014 I am finding my cardio capacity and enjoyment of riding is increasing with every passing day.

Just for the record though, I am a shit rider with jack skills - but still, a little bit better than last year :)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
In my sphere of influence, this situation is known as 'managing the decline gracefully'. The key to doing it well is to never look back, don't dwell too long on the present and fuck worrying about the future.

I got glasses this year...hasn't slowed me down. If I laid off the red wine I'd go further/faster but life is too short

John U

MTB Precision
I prescribe - More downhill. Take as regularly as possible. If your problem persists get even more downhill.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Feeling like an old carnt

21 years ago I switched from working in an upmarket bike shop to operating mining stuff in various FIFO sites. I soon drifted away from cycling, saving my break time for surfing. I kept my bike, rode it to the shops occasionally, and even took it to a couple of mine sites. I recently acquired a 29er, have done a few trail rides and really enjoyed them. I had reasonably good bike handling skills way back in the days before suspension and some traces remain, I just look for the bits that I like doing and hit them as fast as I can. I reckon the enjoyment will keep me motivated, and should help me work off the 20kg I've accumulated since I stopped riding. I got my first ever reading glasses last year (45yo) but I don't need to use them much yet.
It's not the end for me, more of a resurrection ! I'm going for a ride right now...

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my sphere of influence, this situation is known as 'managing the decline gracefully'. The key to doing it well is to never look back, don't dwell too long on the present and fuck worrying about the future.

I got glasses this year...hasn't slowed me down. If I laid off the red wine I'd go further/faster but life is too short
That's the ticket!

quin66

Likes Dirt
48 and still constantly think of riding. I luvs it and it keeps me sane. Wish I could get out on the bike more than I can at the moment but as the kids get older I know I will be able to. Still like to push myself on the trail getting the adrenaline flowing. Last few months have had me thinking about getting some prescription riding glasses but want to hold out as long as possible. My fitness isn't what it was but when I get to ride more it will come back.

wavike

Likes Dirt
48 and still constantly think of riding. I luvs it and it keeps me sane. Wish I could get out on the bike more than I can at the moment but as the kids get older :flypig: I know I will be able to. Still like to push myself on the trail getting the adrenaline flowing. Last few months have had me thinking about getting some prescription riding glasses but want to hold out as long as possible. My fitness isn't what it was but when I get to ride more it will come back.
That's what i thought, but it ain't necessarily so. Best time for me was when kids in late primary school and misses working 3 days week. Then it went back downhill for a while.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
All depends on the kids
My son started racing BMX at 8 always enjoyed the techy riding in MTB but never wanted to ride up - who can blame him
18 months ago at 13 something clicked and I have a riding buddy when ever I want only problem now is trying to keep up!!
The 12 year old also enjoying MTB to a lesser extent the trick here is to pry him from behind a screen.
So now I spend quality family time at Buxton, Lake Mountain, You Yangs, Lysterfield, Smiths Gully, Plenty Gorge etc etc

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I'm 60 yo riding all my life ride 4 d/week just did 12 days in Vietnam.Dont do jumps like I did though.
9 of us went , most older than me one is 70 yo rides mtbikes Ok.
Dont give up push yourself + ride regularly keep going 44yo is nothing.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Don't get me wrong,,,, I'm def not chucking in the towel. I'll be pushing as hard as I can for as long as I can :third:

My 4 & 5 yr olds are about to start racing BMX this year so I've been hitting up the BMX tracks/pump tracks alot of late. Been really enjoying it, to the point where I'm seriously thinking about building up a BMX ... hehe

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Over 50 here, ride regularly with my 26yo son.

I'm probably fitter now than when I was in my late 40's. Started eating better and dropped from 90+ kg down to 80. Been wearing glasses since I was 40, but I don't wear them riding (just safety glasses). Thinking of getting prescription ones.

I have no trouble keeping up with my son, except when I lend him my Anthem 29er. Currently thinking of getting either a Trance or Reign as the Anthem has shown what a good bike can do for your riding as I'm much faster on it compared to my previous bikes. Now I need something that can jump and lift the front wheel a bit easier.

Looking forward to tackling Mt Joyce when it cools off in a couple of months, hence I'd like a more downhill orientated bike.

Currently on hols and riding every day that the weather permits.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I've just turned 42, and after reading this thread I feel like the youngster here!
I've definitely found it takes a lot more work to keep fit and even more to keep the fat off. I've been slack the past two weeks and definitely feel the difference.
As for not healing so fast, that's definitely true and also applies to recovery times. If I do a big ride and push hard, I'll feel it for two or three days.
Loving it more than ever, especially being able to afford bikes and gear I could've only dreamt about when I was younger.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Loving it more than ever, especially being able to afford bikes and gear I could've only dreamt about when I was younger.
Good point. I started out on a $300, no suspension Malvern Star. Rode it for years. Not knocking the bike, it was good value for the money. All I could afford with the mortgage, kids, the whole catastrophe! Then went to a hard tail, then a lower end dually and finally a 2014 Anthem. I really appreciate this bike and its capabilities. It has upped my fitness considerably for two reasons. I want to ride it more and it's capable of getting up sections that I never could before, hence I try harder.

Now to test ride a Trance...

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Def one of the big +s of getting old. Beats waitin all year for Xmas just to get the big NO!!! ...... Then again, I still remember when I finally got my Kmart BMX,, use to polish it every night before bed and dream about it while asleep...haha :love: compared to our little ones, who's got 8 bikes in the garage and 2 on the way,,, and they treat their bikes like poo.. haha