The Single Speed Thread

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
meaning what?

PS im running 27.5 wheel size, but pretty much same crank/cog combo on 29er, i did run the spec crave 29er at 32:16 more often, but it was rigid and light and I used it more for fire rd/dbl trk
Trails where flow isn't always possible if that makes sense.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
You ride that on technical courses?
Mix of trails but more tech than flow, everything from fire roads to techie downhill. This set is is on the 29er Waltly.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I need to watch some single speed videos methinks.

I'm intrigued how people ride them on trails that don't point downhill!
diff peeps ride differently, i like to spin my SS - dont grind well, so i can ride grad's 5-6% fine, when it gets to 9-10% for any length of time i struggle -and prefer to get off/walk then try and blow my knee's..knowing the trails helps = turning up to a new trail you havn't ridden can be a pain, knowing when to save/use energy is a big advantage for the average SS rider [some trails like o'halloran hill in SA, are perfect, when rockmoose took us for an outing most climbs are at a very comfortable 4-5% average, i could ride that all day and be a happy guy, obviously well designed. i live near macedon too, most fire rd there is still SS ok - but getting to near my comfort zone as they sit around 7%. sometimes you just have to stand & wrangle the bike up a steep pinch, sometimes the 250m 10-12% is the worst, rather than along 2-3km 5-7%

cairns does have some steep stuff, didn't ride there when i visited but it looks like out of town it gets steep fast, hopefully some well designed climbs?? I would look at a short travel bike to start with, slightly stepeer HA of say 68 w 120mm fork will climb easier than slack 145-150mm fork, also slightly longer stem ,

i dont think watching vid's will help, just like Luke you need to feel the force -don't let your eyes deceive you - - -you can practice by putting your normal bike in 1 gear combo, eg 1.6 ratio front to back for steeper, or 1.75 for flatter trails -then just ride in that 1 gear for as long as you can, resist the urge to change...1 guy at SS nationals a few years ago collected all the 18t sprockets he could, and he made up a 10 spd 18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18- cassette, he still found himself shifting on the trail, obviously to good effect;)

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I have a 30T on the front of the Talon and I can keep it in the 14T at the back perhaps. Could be a fun thing to do!
cool, make sure you are clipped in and your mate is behind you to film when you come to a complete stop on a pinch climb -you fall off your bike cos you can't unclip in time and have stopped turning the pedals.....unless I am totally misjudging you and you have thighs/quads/pecs like Ackland and can ride 15% gradients on SS without raising a sweat -[or slowing down for that matter] - all the while looking back to me asking 'you alright'? just asking as you don't seem to be able to keep up :p, and ride 30+km/1000+ vert before breakfast/a group ride as you can't get a good enough workout with normal people

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
cool, make sure you are clipped in and your mate is behind you to film when you come to a complete stop on a pinch climb -you fall off your bike cos you can't unclip in time and have stopped turning the pedals.....unless I am totally misjudging you and you have thighs/quads/pecs like Ackland and can ride 15% gradients on SS without raising a sweat -[or slowing down for that matter] - all the while looking back to me asking 'you alright'? just asking as you don't seem to be able to keep up :p, and ride 30+km/1000+ vert before breakfast/a group ride as you can't get a good enough workout with normal people
Wow, you just described the complete opposite of me!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah 30:14 is a pretty steep gear if you're going to try to ride up any hills! I run 34:18 or 19 (29" wheel) depending on terrain, and most of Melbourne is pretty flat. Would go 34:20 probably for anything tech with much climbing.

On 27.5", probably best keeping it under 2:1. 30:16 might be a good place to start.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah you mentioned in one of the other threads that you wanted to get fit, SS is the way to do it. I couldn't get past a certain fitness with the the amount of riding I could do, went SS and my fitness went through the roof even though I was only doing the same hours/Kms.