The saga of the recurring puncture

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Our friend who bought the Electra cruiser e-bike has been loving it, until a few weeks ago when she got a puncture. I told her this was standard stuff, and went over and patched it for her. She rode the next day, another puncture, right near where the first one was, I had correctly aligned the valves and it was very useful in determining the position of the hole to examine the tyre.

Found nothing in the tyre except a little split in the middle seam which didn't seem like it could possibly be a problem but was in the right vicinity. Put a new tube in this time. It lasted exactly another ride. Same deal, a tiny hole right near the split in the seam so thinking it must be that, I patched that area on the tyre and put another patch on the tube. It lasted a few rides but once again, right near where the patch was, another tiny hole. It definitely wasn't the split seam though as that was now covered with a patch and nice and smooth.

Like the tyre itself, I felt deflated! I have the tyre and tube again because I don't want to let it win, at the very least our friend has become very proficient at removing the front wheel and tyre/tube. The only thing I can think of is there must be something sharp in the tyre that only becomes exposed when it's under pressure and being ridden, careful examination and feeling all around I can't find anything at all but it seems to always be in the same spot. I've had tiny thorns that were hard to find before but after the second flat I've always found them. One time my son kept getting flats too but that was some asshat at his school using a stapler as we eventually found a staple in the tyre.

Any hints appreciated, I am going get her to order a new tyre but it really shouldn't need one.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If it's just a split and a cheap rigid tyre it may be a bit of steel 'belting' in the casing that pops a tube when inflated and/or when the tyre flexes when riding. Either that or something in the tyre still.

New bike time either way.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the same issue and it took me ages to find a tiny piece of nail in the tyre that I could not feel by hand when the the was off.
If you can’t go tubless the Tannus armour inserts might be a solution.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
had this on my daughters cross bike, only solution throw tyre away & get new one
Yeah I think it's at that stage. She was keen on a solution to prevent punctures and @Halo1's suggestion of the Tannus armour would be pretty awesome for that and also allow this tyre to do the many km it has left in it rather than chuck it out and spend $50 on another.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Multiple blow outs + I had recently a tiny tear in the tyre which would pinch the tube against the rim when inflated .

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I have the same issue and it took me ages to find a tiny piece of nail in the tyre that I could not feel by hand when the the was off.
If you can’t go tubless the Tannus armour inserts might be a solution.
Yep, been there with a tiny piece of wire in the tyre on the commuter. Only found it by pushing the tyre in at the spot, and there were plenty of oaths uttered when I could finally feel it!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
@Scotty T maybe check the rim tape, all around the rim where it covers the spoke holes, and especially in that spot where the puncture happened. there are sometimes rough or even jagged metal spots from drilling the spoke holes, that might be enough to cause a puncture if not covered properly in rim tape.

Also, it may not be for everyone, but if running tubes in a tyre, I will dust the tube, and inside of the tyre with talcum powder to sort of dry lube the tube. IMO, it helps reduce pinch flats. I do it with my roadie, and frankenbike rigid 29er running mtb tyres.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@Scotty T maybe check the rim tape, all around the rim where it covers the spoke holes, and especially in that spot where the puncture happened. there are sometimes rough or even jagged metal spots from drilling the spoke holes, that might be enough to cause a puncture if not covered properly in rim tape.

Also, it may not be for everyone, but if running tubes in a tyre, I will dust the tube, and inside of the tyre with talcum powder to sort of dry lube the tube. IMO, it helps reduce pinch flats. I do it with my roadie, and frankenbike rigid 29er running mtb tyres.
Hole is definitely on the tyre side so can discount rim and spokes. I am a big fan of the talc, my old Avon in the cardboard tube is getting low though.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Ended up getting Tannus armour for friends bike and also wifes bike. The thought of never having to remove the wheel until the tyre is totally worn out sold it. Also didn't have to throw out the troublesome tyre, .

They were easy to fit (used heaps of talc) in the wide tyre wide rim combo, and the support and firmness is amazing, 20 PSI feels like 40.

I was considering them for the Mongoose but really don't want to be tempted to ride it any harder and risk breaking it.

Full noobless!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ended up getting Tannus armour for friends bike and also wifes bike. The thought of never having to remove the wheel until the tyre is totally worn out sold it. Also didn't have to throw out the troublesome tyre, .

They were easy to fit (used heaps of talc) in the wide tyre wide rim combo, and the support and firmness is amazing, 20 PSI feels like 40.

I was considering them for the Mongoose but really don't want to be tempted to ride it any harder and risk breaking it.

Full noobless!
Is that the tubed or tubeless version?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Full noobless!
Never say never. I still managed to get a flat with one. It was a very nasty hit that would have smashed the rim. It did its job and an quick old style tube change was all it took to get on my way.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Is that the tubed or tubeless version?
Tubed.

Never say never. I still managed to get a flat with one. It was a very nasty hit that would have smashed the rim. It did its job and an quick old style tube change was all it took to get on my way.
Commuting on cruiser e-bikes I'd be more worried about the injuries they'd get hitting something hard enough to get an impact flat. It's more the things like tiny bits of glass and thorns that can easily take out a tube that will be completely guarded against. What sort of PSI are you running for off road with the tubed versions?