The QUICK question thread.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
IMG_20230511_213515678~2.jpg

How the hell did this derailleur get bent? It's been in a box for year and brand new FFS. Already checked dropouts and hanger and it checks out.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Trick of perspective I think, looks OK to me.
It's actually bent from the box. The limit settings were munted and couldn't get the thing to go to the largest cog, even when pressing with fingers and backed up all the way. Then in all the gears the cage swivels out. I suspected the hanger and actually waited 6 weeks to get one from china for $4 because I didn't want to spend $50 on a local one lols. Should have known.

Just put a spare xt one on and it worked first go no issues. I know sram is cheese but this is nek level, thing has been sitting in my box for 5 years as a spare for another bike!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My assumption is it would be fine, but are there any likely issues with hanging a bike frame off the ground by either front or rear axle? Got a currently wheelless frame that zee wife is nagging me to get out of the way

safreek

Okie dokie, 2 questions. First one is sensible.
This is the top of a 1.5 headset but I have dug up a lockring or whatever it's called of standard size. Is this all I need to convert to standard size at the top, seems I have found a lower converter

IMG_20230513_104703.jpg

Now second up, the brake levers on the new old bike went to the bars so I assumed they were fucked so I experimented.
I undid the one screw on the reservoir and proceeded to squirt drops of scented baby oil down the hole whilst squeezing and releasing the lever, loads of bubbles came up but with a fair bit of squeezing and line tapping eventually no more bubbles and the reservoir was full. Proceeded to put screws back in and viola, both brakes are working perfectly in the backyard test.
So the question is, what will go wrong if anything
IMG_20230513_104654.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Okie dokie, 2 questions. First one is sensible.
This is the top of a 1.5 headset but I have dug up a lockring or whatever it's called of standard size. Is this all I need to convert to standard size at the top, seems I have found a lower converter

View attachment 399548

Now second up, the brake levers on the new old bike went to the bars so I assumed they were fucked so I experimented.
I undid the one screw on the reservoir and proceeded to squirt drops of scented baby oil down the hole whilst squeezing and releasing the lever, loads of bubbles came up but with a fair bit of squeezing and line tapping eventually no more bubbles and the reservoir was full. Proceeded to put screws back in and viola, both brakes are working perfectly in the backyard test.
So the question is, what will go wrong if anything
View attachment 399549
Bravo on both counts. Report back when dead.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You can use baby oil in your Shimano brakes, however unscented works better. I did this years ago as a piss take in desperation but it worked so good I didn't bother swapping in the Shimano oil when it arrived. I took the bike on a few lengthy rides (including saw mill for those in the know) without any issues. But the bike was stolen before I could have considered it a long term test. If there was a problem I hope the thief discovered it at the bottom of a steep hill ending in lantana stinging nettles. You can buy a length of plastic tube of suitable size from Bunnings and some 50ml syringes from pharmacy to make your bleed faster better and easier.

For the top part of the head set, the inside diameter of the bearing etc need to be reduced from 1.5 to 1 1/8. Just having a 1 1/8 top cap won't solve the problem. The steerer, wedge, spacers, top cap, and bearing all need to be in contact. I have a lot of 49mm ID/OD head sets thanks to my love of 1.5.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
BIL rang me from the middle of nowhere because his Shimano brakes were full of air, don't ask why he didn't check before going thousands of km west. Anyway told him to use baby oil and while he was at it fill the reservoirs and do what you did then the rubber band trick overnight and top up. Worked fine and when I checked the brakes after he returned they were still rock firm and smelled amazing. I didn't change it.

moorey

call me Mia
BIL rang me from the middle of nowhere because his Shimano brakes were full of air, don't ask why he didn't check before going thousands of km west. Anyway told him to use baby oil and while he was at it fill the reservoirs and do what you did then the rubber band trick overnight and top up. Worked fine and when I checked the brakes after he returned they were still rock firm and smelled amazing. I didn't change it.
Rubber band trick? It allows the air to rise up in the reservoir?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes baby oil is mineral oil and can be used... might not have as high a boiling point but apparently works well in Shimano brakes.

You can buy 1L of the real Shimano mineral oil in Aus for $30 and it lasts for years. Even cheaper from an overseas honey hole.