The QUICK question thread.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Mine have been wall hung by front wheel for years. No noticeable issues found with doing so, brakes still behave, and the last time the fork was serviced they didn't report any adverse affects.
It't funny because most rear shocks are mounted in the upside down position compared to forks so if it's gonna leak, one of them is going to do it no matter which direction you have the bike!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Spare tube on frame. I noticed this cheeky little cut in the spare tube from my photo tonight (was a potential fuckwits post. Still is if I don't replace it).

Is 2-ish years reasonable for a new tube on frame, or do I need a tube sock...?!

For UV protection I mean...

What about those turbolito(?) tubes? Last longer?

Polish_20230128_013448963.jpg

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Spare tube on frame. I noticed this cheeky little cut in the spare tube from my photo tonight (was a potential fuckwits post. Still is if I don't replace it).

Is 2-ish years reasonable for a new tube on frame, or do I need a tube sock...?!

For UV protection I mean...

What about those turbolito(?) tubes? Last longer?

View attachment 396545
I try to replace after a year, just cause of the sharp folding and that exact issue which has bitten me in the past.

I reckon fancy tubes would end up costing way more in the long run than regular replacementS of standard tubes. A bit wasteful though I guess.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I try to replace after a year, just cause of the sharp folding and that exact issue which has bitten me in the past.

I reckon fancy tubes would end up costing way more in the long run than regular replacementS of standard tubes. A bit wasteful though I guess.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It is a bit wasteful.

I'm just wondering if it's the accumulative time in the sun that is contributing to them letting go on the sharp bend...

EDIT: Initially I have thought "2-3yrs without a puncture, I should just leave the tube at home".

But we all know how that plays out!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For riding stockyards, I used to omit the tube as I figured I was never that far from the car even if I did puncture (and luckily the only puncture I've ever had was on the lower half of Boulder... :p) and would just walk the bike out if sealant didn't save it. I used to keep a small like 2.1" XC-spec tube in my hydration pack if riding further from the car as I figured it would be enough to limp the bike back along fireroads or cautiously along milder trails in a pinch (no pun intended).

Was the rubber dried out and brittle, or has it potentially just caught a sharp twig from a trail-side shrub? (Here's looking at you You-Yangs boneseed!)

ausdb

Being who he is
I was given a Command Post dropper today, 30.9 external and 125mm drop so potentially useful for one of our bikes. It didn't seem to want to go up or down and when I took the valve cap off and pressed the schrader there was nothing in it. I put 20psi in and it seems to work, but when I drop the pressure to slow it down a but it doesn't seem to return fully. I dont think its a cc one but does seem to have a detent about 30mm down into its travel. I havent been able to get the seal head off to have a look inside, it was twisting in the frame I put it into to undo it and my strap wrench isn't the best. I've left it toniht to see if it holds pressure but from research these seem to be not very well regarded, so should I?
  • Burn it with fire.
Or
  • Pull it apart further and see if there is anything obviously munted inside and if looks OK then invest $50 in a seal and bushing kit.

DSC_2499-picsay.jpg

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have finally convinced my wife to get on a dually after years of riding carbon XC hardtail. So I am on the lookout for a small frame, 27.5 for her. My question is about the fork. I have a 29 inch Pike but my research says it won't be a good fit.
I also have a Fox that says 29/27.5 on it. Currently on a 29er. Will it really work on a 27.5?