The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Anyone had experience running these?

Not sure of the science, but I assumed that the whole idea of qr is it compresses axially and thus there are knurly bits on the ends of the hub to grab it. This one doesn't. Anyone used these extensively without issues?
I have ran 2 of them for ages on the boys XC bikes. Still got one on #2's bike.

Both wheelsets were built with DT350's 15mm thru axle hubs on Nextie Premium XC rims. The wheelsets were around 1400g.

The forks were Manitou R7 with QR and an old SID with QR, #1 sons bike got upgraded to a thru axle Fox Factory about a year ago.

My 9mm to 15mm came from AliExpress as they were the only ones doing them a few years ago.

Reckon I have a spare here somewhere.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Does anyone have a source/lead on shimano lever piston seals?

There is all the usual suspects like aliexpress/eBay, but just wondering if anyone knows the size of them and has purchased from a seal place...

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Does anyone have a source/lead on shimano lever piston seals?

There is all the usual suspects like aliexpress/eBay, but just wondering if anyone knows the size of them and has purchased from a seal place...
I don't know the size but I think it's a "skirt" seal or whatever it's called.

There is this:

But the pictures don't fill me with confidence! I've not bought them from the above link either.
If the Ali seals fit genuine shimano pistons, I'm happy to send you a couple to try.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I don't know the size but I think it's a "skirt" seal or whatever it's called.

There is this:

But the pictures don't fill me with confidence! I've not bought them from the above link either.
If the Ali seals fit genuine shimano pistons, I'm happy to send you a couple to try.
Yah, they look like hydraulic U-cup seals. We use them at work which is why I was thinking I might be able to get some locally quicker than an online order.

Thanks for the offer, I will pull mine out this weekend I think and see what I can find through our suppliers.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yah, they look like hydraulic U-cup seals. We use them at work which is why I was thinking I might be able to get some locally quicker than an online order.

Thanks for the offer, I will pull mine out this weekend I think and see what I can find through our suppliers.
Can you report back if you find something please.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Apologies for the questions and bumping this thread. In case youse haven't figured out I am in the process of restoring a junker bike (26 for all the luddites).

I have an EC34 headtube, I suspect it's not possible to run a tapered steerer or are there stacked lower headsets that space out the tapered part of the fork? Found some forks for cheap but not sure it can be done.

ozzybmx

Apologies for the questions and bumping this thread. In case youse haven't figured out I am in the process of restoring a junker bike (26 for all the luddites).

I have an EC34 headtube, I suspect it's not possible to run a tapered steerer or are there stacked lower headsets that space out the tapered part of the fork? Found some forks for cheap but not sure it can be done.
From what I remember, 44mm is the minimum to fit an external bearing cup to run a tapered on a non tapered frame. This was done by fitting an external cup to ZS44 straight steerer frame, giving you around an addition 10mm stack at the bottom.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I remember, 44mm is the minimum to fit an external bearing cup to run a tapered on a non tapered frame. This was done by fitting an external cup to ZS44 straight steerer frame, giving you around an addition 10mm stack at the bottom.
Sounds right. I have a hard tail with a straight 44mm tube running a tapered steerer with an external bottom cup.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

Can you report back if you find something please.
Well, got the seals measured up at the local seal place. Nothing they could supply "off the shelf" was an exact match to th OEM seals. I ordered 2 of what they had that was the closest standard size (metric), but no dice (I did find one imperial size online that matches one of the seals but nothing to match the 2nd seal).

They are just not close enough in size and the durometer of the seals was a fair bit harder than the originals. I got them fitted on one piston, and installed it in the lever but they are too tight and the spring can't retract the piston.

So I cleaned up the old ones and put them back in.

Given some time, I could manufacture pistons that suit the metric seals, but probably not worth it considering you can buy them from ebay/aliexpress fairly cheap (I did buy an ebay special set of pistons and seals, just in case).

If the seals leak again and I assume they will, I will put the ebay ones in and report back..

ozzybmx

Given some time, I could manufacture pistons that suit the metric seals, but probably not worth it considering you can buy them from ebay/aliexpress fairly cheap (I did buy an ebay special set of pistons and seals, just in case).
Grab the RISK branded ones from AliEx, I have successfully replaced about 3 Shimano and 2 SRAM.

Grab yourself a fine set of circlip pliers too, those little circlips are a chunt.

The pliers can also be got from AliExp... though I wouldn't be using them for repeated work, they are cheap shite that do the occasional job ok.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

No way in hell a tapered steerer will fit. You're looking at max 30mm ID through the cup spigot, so even allowing for external cup depth the steerer won't cut in that steeply to fit.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Grab the RISK branded ones from AliEx, I have successfully replaced about 3 Shimano and 2 SRAM.

Grab yourself a fine set of circlip pliers too, those little circlips are a chunt.

The pliers can also be got from AliExp... though I wouldn't be using them for repeated work, they are cheap shite that do the occasional job ok.
Seriously though, these deore xt's don't have a circlip...
Compress_20230120_091149_9365.jpg