The QUICK question thread.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Even these days with a profile that's viewable and looks legit, it's usually hacked.

Dodgy chunts everywhere.
Legit. I was trying to by this bike from marketplace, but the dude wouldn't even wait until my nanna sent me money at Christmas. Now I only offer swaps for my VX Commodore Executive that isn't running but probably only needs new spark plugs.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Quick question time...best laptop for Mr 12 as a BYOD for next year, the school has said no to Macbooks 8GB Ram, 256 storage, 5Ghz dual band and 5 hours battery life minimum, I've seen what he does to his school bag so I haven't got high hopes for any sort of longevity....

Something like this seems to fit the requirements https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...x360-14-dy0184tu-core-i3-8gb-128gb-hpdy0184tu or this https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/laptops-&-notebooks/laptops/94789-d515da-br1389w

Or this https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-pavilion-x360-14-inch-i3-1215u-8gb-256gb-ssd-2-in-1-device.html even though I have no intention of buying anything from G Harvey the $600 off seems very appealing.

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick question time...best laptop for Mr 12 as a BYOD for next year, the school has said no to Macbooks 8GB Ram, 256 storage, 5Ghz dual band and 5 hours battery life minimum, I've seen what he does to his school bag so I haven't got high hopes for any sort of longevity....
I can't really help except to say "not a Lenovo". That's what we went with initially and it gave us nothing but trouble, including a faulty casing that was apparently a known issue, with absolutely no customer support

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Something like this seems to fit the requirements https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...x360-14-dy0184tu-core-i3-8gb-128gb-hpdy0184tu

Or this https://www.harveynorman.com.au/hp-pavilion-x360-14-inch-i3-1215u-8gb-256gb-ssd-2-in-1-device.html even though I have no intention of buying anything from G Harvey the $600 off seems very appealing.
I've had a good run with HP laptops. There should still be some good Cyber Monday deals around.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Minlak

custom titis

Something like this seems to fit the requirements https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...x360-14-dy0184tu-core-i3-8gb-128gb-hpdy0184tu or this https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/laptops-&-notebooks/laptops/94789-d515da-br1389w

HP is perfect if it is a school computer - get it added to your house and contents as a portable item and covered for all damge - It is not even how bad your kids are with stuff - other people's kids wreck the property for no other reason than they can - and even if you can name the kid that did it good luck getting money from a parent for it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Does the school have an option to buy one through the school ?

I bought both my boys a laptop through the school with 3yrs insurance. If something minor goes wrong, the school IT guys fix it.

If it's major like a broken screen/case, it goes back to the external company the school deal with and gets fixed under the insurance.

My 2 are going into yr 11 & 12 after xmas with the same laptops they were bought in yr 8.

New screens each, new keyboard, cracked case and numerous things that got fixed by school IT dept... well worth the initial cost.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I can't really help except to say "not a Lenovo". That's what we went with initially and it gave us nothing but trouble, including a faulty casing that was apparently a known issue, with absolutely no customer support
I've got a lenovo thinkpad x13 Yoga for work. Has touch screen and full movement hinge for the screen, so can be used as a surface/ipad or an actual laptop (has a proper keyboard, not the detachable alcantara crap). has been rock solid. Don't know how it would stand up to a kids backpack though but build quality and features seems pretty good for what its worth.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a lenovo thinkpad x13 Yoga for work. Has touch screen and full movement hinge for the screen, so can be used as a surface/ipad or an actual laptop (has a proper keyboard, not the detachable alcantara crap). has been rock solid. Don't know how it would stand up to a kids backpack though but build quality and features seems pretty good for what its worth.
We got an Ideapad (I think) that looked pretty good spec wise. Within 6 months it was overheating a lot and running pretty slow despite not being used for anything too taxing. The battery also wasn't as good as advertised.
Then son 1 comes home one day explaining that the hinge area was know crack and when you go to open or close the screen it actually pushes the entire bottom try of the laptop down, making the crack worse. When you open it also puts pressure back on the screen. After googling around for a replacement bottom cover, it turns out that this fault has been an going issue with these Lenovos for over 2 years, but the company can't be arsed making any changes to the design...

There's a few guys at work who swear by their thinkpads as well, and they do seem good, but the ideapad was a big disappointment.
We replaced with a HP that JB had on sale and it's been fine so far

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I had a Lenovo x240 work laptop at my past gig. It wasn't bad but lacked enough RAM for what I needed. It didn't die on me and I did lug it around to quite a few places. I might have been lucky :D A few colleagues had headaches with their Lenovo's and they just don't feel a solid as the earlier pre-Lenovo Thinkpads.

I have had a few Dells in past jobs and have a now 3 year old Latitude 7400 now. Dell have always been pretty reliable laptops from past experience for me and this 7400 finally has enough hardware oomph for me to do things that I would have had to rely on a desktop to do before.

We still have a very old HP recycled with Puppy Linux that still motors well for what it is once you ignore the flat CMOS battery. I only use it to find things when using the telescope in the backyard.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Does the school have an option to buy one through the school ?

I bought both my boys a laptop through the school with 3yrs insurance. If something minor goes wrong, the school IT guys fix it.

If it's major like a broken screen/case, it goes back to the external company the school deal with and gets fixed under the insurance.

My 2 are going into yr 11 & 12 after xmas with the same laptops they were bought in yr 8.

New screens each, new keyboard, cracked case and numerous things that got fixed by school IT dept... well worth the initial cost.
The school doesn't offer that, sound awesome though.