The QUICK question thread.....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
is that a portable pressure washer? lol Got a normal one at home so no biggie, but portable ticks a few boxes.
Yes it is. Runs off the 2.0A battery included. Sucks out of a bucket. Not super strong, which is great for bikes, but still shifts the dirt. Great for after a ride on heavy clay trails where you got unexpectedly rained on and the bikes had to go inside the vehicle.....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
So in a moment of weakness I bought some XT 12 speed. This will be for a future bike but looking at cassette options now.

Do I go full XT and get XT cassette. Means new freehub and chainring due to Shimano 12spd chain being narrow.

Grab SRAM GX cassette as I have an XD driver or spend a bit extra and grab a Garabruk cassette and run SRAM chain?

No rush but thought I would see what fellow Burners thought?

mark22

Likes Dirt
So in a moment of weakness I bought some XT 12 speed. This will be for a future bike but looking at cassette options now.

Do I go full XT and get XT cassette. Means new freehub and chainring due to Shimano 12spd chain being narrow.

Grab SRAM GX cassette as I have an XD driver or spend a bit extra and grab a Garabruk cassette and run SRAM chain?

SLX cassette quite a bit cheaper than XT with the 51T ring Aluminium instead of the 2 large aluminium rings of XT. Works fine on my new second bike so far.

shiny

SLX cassette quite a bit cheaper than XT with the 51T ring Aluminium instead of the 2 large aluminium rings of XT. Works fine on my new second bike so far.
Cheers. Quick Google shows about $40 difference between XT and SLX cassette. Then new freehub as well.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

I have microspline on 2 bikes with XT and Deore cassettes. They feel good and change nicely, I can tell zero shifting difference between XT and deore, just weight... which I can also not feel when riding.

Probably one of the only things I like about SRAM is the XD interface, its the best way of attaching a cassette IMO, no eating out freehubs, comes off cleanly and secures on really nicely AND allows a 9t cog as the smallest which is great for 1 x wide span with a limited large cog.

ozzybmx

Asking for a friend.

His pedals are fading fast and now look a different pink compared to his grips, valve cores and chainring.

Is there any way to restore the pinkness or should he go with black alloy.

Asking here first before he G00Gl333333333S it :p

shiny

I have microspline on 2 bikes with XT and Deore cassettes. They feel good and change nicely, I can tell zero shifting difference between XT and deore, just weight... which I can also not feel when riding.

Probably one of the only things I like about SRAM is the XD interface, its the best way of attaching a cassette IMO, no eating out freehubs, comes off cleanly and secures on really nicely AND allows a 9t cog as the smallest which is great for 1 x wide span with a limited large cog.
Cheers. If my memory works were you running XT with an e13 Helix on the Spur? Shifts ok?

ozzybmx

Cheers. If my memory works were you running XT with an e13 Helix on the Spur? Shifts ok?
Yes, my Spur has XT derailleur and shifter, e13 helix 9-50 XD and a Raceface cinch chainring on Next SL's. Was getting away with a Shimano chain on that setup but it was 0.75mm wear at 1500km, which was shithouse for a chain.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Asking for a friend.

His pedals are fading fast and now look a different pink compared to his grips, valve cores and chainring.

Is there any way to restore the pinkness or should he go with black alloy.

Asking here first before he G00Gl333333333S it :p

View attachment 389133
Can’t be too worried, he still hasn’t matchy-matchied his bottle cage or seatpost clamp = Dead to me. :p

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pulled the cassette and free hub of my wife's rear wheel yesterday to a cleanup. The hub is a DT 240. I pulled the ratchet, springs, retaining nut and spacer out and cleaned and re-greased. reassemble. Cassette on, even torqued to correct Nm. Put wheel on bike.
Surprise, when through axle tightened, no free wheeling. If cranks stop, wheel turns a few degrees as chain goes slack.
If I back off through axle a quarter turn, works the way it's supposed to. I have pulled it back apart; all assembled correctly.
Any hints for the frustrated backyarder?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is a rubber seal ring around the base of the freewheel body, which can be a bit picky about how it seats against the hub shell. Check that it hasn't got pinched when reassembling.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a rubber seal ring around the base of the freewheel body, which can be a bit picky about how it seats against the hub shell. Check that it hasn't got pinched when reassembling.
Thanks. Do you mean the one that is attatched to the freewheel body or the one that sits on top of the ring nut?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Hope pro 4 hub bearings - get overpriced kit, or is there a cheaper option?

Had grinding in the rear hub while I was servicing the bike, so pulled the hub apart and the bearing cage in two bearings has snapped. Balls all over the place. Decided might aswell service the whole thing/replace all the bearings.