The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What's the best 140mm fork out at the moment for a trail hardtail. It's hard to go past the Pike for performance and weight but I currently have a DVO Diamond and a Fox Factory 36 which I could lower the travel on and use.
Get some zebs and slam them. Until 20mm axles are readily available it's your best option to maintain a stiff front end.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What's the best 140mm fork out at the moment for a trail hardtail. It's hard to go past the Pike for performance and weight but I currently have a DVO Diamond and a Fox Factory 36 which I could lower the travel on and use.
Pike or Diamond.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tektro Orion 4 piston hydraulic brakes.
I am having a look at a bike that has these brakes on it. Any one have any experience with them?
Good, OK or dump? Should I go with what I know? Would you? Thanks in advance.

moorey

call me Mia
Why is losing weight harder than gaining weight - I think a fair system would be decided by how much effort you put in - like you should also have to make serious efforts to gain weight not just look in the window of a bakery to add 10kg
Don’t look then. You’re welcome.
I haven’t lost any weight since taking up serious Tas training, despite also eating better. I wouldn’t mind, except I still have a fine spare tyre. Fucker won’t go no matter what I do :(

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Tektro Orion 4 piston hydraulic brakes.
I am having a look at a bike that has these brakes on it. Any one have any experience with them?
Good, OK or dump? Should I go with what I know? Would you? Thanks in advance.
I've got them on my bike and I quite like them.

Never had any issue stopping with them. They don't feel quite as "crisp" as the avid codes on my DH bike, but then I've been meaning to do a brake bleed for a little while now, so that might have something to do with it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why is losing weight harder than gaining weight - I think a fair system would be decided by how much effort you put in - like you should also have to make serious efforts to gain weight not just look in the window of a bakery to add 10kg
So the cream bun and thickshake diet is not working? Weird.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got them on my bike and I quite like them.

Never had any issue stopping with them. They don't feel quite as "crisp" as the avid codes on my DH bike, but then I've been meaning to do a brake bleed for a little while now, so that might have something to do with it.
Thank. Do you know if I can use my Shimano bleed kit with these or do they have their own "standard"?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thank. Do you know if I can use my Shimano bleed kit with these or do they have their own "standard"?
M5 and M6 threads on the calliper and lever respectively I'm pretty sure.

Their bleed procedure has changed over the years, used to be a syringe on the calliper with a hose into a bottle at the lever.

The latest video I have seen has a syringe at both ends.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Full face helmet fit.

I currently run a giro full face and half-lid. They seem to fit my bulbous knoggin best.

Anyone gone from giro helmets to another brand with similar fit? Is so what brand?

moorey

call me Mia
Do 12sp (XT) chains have a woeful life expectancy?
Based on an experience of one, Felix’s has ‘stretched’ prematurely. Would have had max of 1000km and hasn’t been in rough conditions. Also ran so rough even though no where near 0.75 on the chain checker, I was starting to think the roughness must be elsewhere, but ring, cassette and derailleur were all new at the same time as chain, and in mint condition.
Swapped out to a new chain, and running like clockwork. Hoping I’m not having to do this so regularly with the crap availability and ridiculous price.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Full face helmet fit.

I currently run a giro full face and half-lid. They seem to fit my bulbous knoggin best.

Anyone gone from giro helmets to another brand with similar fit? Is so what brand?
Which helmets are you wearing from Giro? I have a bit of an egg head. I like Giro (have a Manifest, Montaro and Disciple), and find Specialized helmets are the other brand that fit me best. Also had good fit with TLD full face helmets in the past. Haven't tried Fox.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Do 12sp (XT) chains have a woeful life expectancy?
Based on an experience of one, Felix’s has ‘stretched’ prematurely. Would have had max of 1000km and hasn’t been in rough conditions. Also ran so rough even though no where near 0.75 on the chain checker, I was starting to think the roughness must be elsewhere, but ring, cassette and derailleur were all new at the same time as chain, and in mint condition.
Swapped out to a new chain, and running like clockwork. Hoping I’m not having to do this so regularly with the crap availability and ridiculous price.
I've found Shimano chains to have a pretty short life compared to Wipperman, Kmc and Ybn.

moorey

call me Mia
I've found Shimano chains to have a pretty short life compared to Wipperman, Kmc and Ybn.

I run mostly 10 and 11sp XT, and have never had an issue with their life. Running more KMC’s lately, mainly due to picking up a pile on special.
Might try some other 12sp options. Cheers.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Full face helmet fit.

I've got a giro half-lid and a Fox full-face (proframe I think) that fits really well. Didn't even need to change any of the padding.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Which helmets are you wearing from Giro? I have a bit of an egg head. I like Giro (have a Manifest, Montaro and Disciple), and find Specialized helmets are the other brand that fit me best. Also had good fit with TLD full face helmets in the past. Haven't tried Fox.
Giro Remedy and a Feature

Lucaw

Next in line
What is going on here?

Both tyres say 16inch on the side wall, but the knobby Bontrager has a 12 inch bead, and the slick has a 13.5 inch bead. The slick, which has a hole through it, fits, but the new Bontrager that I bought to replace it won’t fit on the rim