The QUICK question thread.....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
New job allows WFH but I have too buy my own monitors keyboard etc? Laptop is supplied. Is the norm? Friends workplaces supply equipment.

Only my first week and worked from home today as no one in the office. so mad dash to Officeworks to get a monitor as need secondary screen.

Guess I can claim it on tax?
Yeah a tax deduction of course, but reimbursement is better obviously.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
New job allows WFH but I have too buy my own monitors keyboard etc? Laptop is supplied. Is the norm? Friends workplaces supply equipment.

Only my first week and worked from home today as no one in the office. so mad dash to Officeworks to get a monitor as need secondary screen.

Some companies give you an allowance to setup your office. You should be fine to claim it on tax along with electricity used for business purposes. Your friendly accountant should know better.

I have an old 22" monitor that I bought for $50 long ago. Keyboards are almost throw away items.
A docking station should be on your list. Plugs into the USB port of your laptop and carries all audio, video, mouse and keyboard.
Makes it a lot easier and you only have one USB cable to think about when you need to take the laptop and run.

If someone else if paying for it then the answer is easy :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

There will be some tax claims coming your way. Not sure if they will be total deductions in one year or depreciated over a few years. If you do your own tax info will be in the relevant tax pack and make very little sense. If you pay someone to do your tax they are being paid to know and their fee is also deductible.

Or just do what I would do and claim it all 100% in the next tax return and let the ATO tell you if you are wrong.

And don't forget to make claims for your home office expenses! Get that gravy!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Cheers. I found it odd. You can WFH but supply your own equipment. Will settle in for a few weeks and ask HR.
It’s probably more common for the business to supply the gear, particularly at the start of lockdowns as they had an incentive to keep people working (from home). I guess now with everything opening up smaller companies may not have much incentive for people to be working at home? Although, if no one was in your office today it must be the norm to WFH?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Some companies give you an allowance to setup your office. You should be fine to claim it on tax along with electricity used for business purposes. Your friendly accountant should know better.

I have an old 22" monitor that I bought for $50 long ago. Keyboards are almost throw away items.
A docking station should be on your list. Plugs into the USB port of your laptop and carries all audio, video, mouse and keyboard.
Makes it a lot easier and you only have one USB cable to think about when you need to take the laptop and run.

If someone else if paying for it then the answer is easy :)
Not even had my first pay and $240 out as this was the cheapest monitor at Office Works. There were cheaper sold out. Some spicy cough thing causing problems with supply.

There will be some tax claims coming your way. Not sure if they will be total deductions in one year or depreciated over a few years. If you do your own tax info will be in the relevant tax pack and make very little sense. If you pay someone to do your tax they are being paid to know and their fee is also deductible.

Or just do what I would do and claim it all 100% in the next tax return and let the ATO tell you if you are wrong.
That’s the plan. If HR say No Bueno. Then put it all in the deductions box.

It’s probably more common for the business to supply the gear, particularly at the start of lockdowns as they had an incentive to keep people working (from home). I guess now with everything opening up smaller companies may not have much incentive for people to be working at home? Although, if no one was in your office today it must be the norm to WFH?
Yep. 2 days WFH is the norm and encouraged.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not even had my first pay and $240 out as this was the cheapest monitor at Office Works. There were cheaper sold out. Some spicy cough thing causing problems with supply.
Oh well, just get it and move on. $240 isn't too steep. It will pay for itself by saving your commute and getting your life back in no time.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, I can be a tight with spending unless it’s bike parts. It was nice to walk out of spare room, grab beer sit down to dinner with the family.
Ha! I know that feeling.

Will gladly go in tightarse mode when buying unfun but necessary home stuff.

Don't bring tempting bike bling in front of my eyes though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
F'in oath you can but as said, full reimbursement is better... then claim on tax :p

Last year I had all my TAFE related expenses, new home computer, 32" 4K screen, light up keyboard, mouse, laser pointer, headphones, new computer chair, new desk, laptop, NBN fees ect.. all tax deductible.