The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Seatpost collar orientation - for an alloy frame, do you align the gaps or put it on the opposite way?

I assumed you align the gaps but I've seen some put it on the opposite side.

I'm bored.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Seatpost collar orientation - for an alloy frame, do you align the gaps or put it on the opposite way?

I'm bored.
If I were you I would align it In a way that it is least likely to inflict damage to my nether regions should I have a @hambo moment.

dazz

Downhill Dazz

I'm bored.
Always line up the slot when attempting fitment, if you attempt fitment opposite to the slot you are likely to encounter resistance. Sometimes it's OK but you need to discuss it first. Just because you've observed others doing it doesn't mean you should be all cavalier about it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why's that then?
I could tell you but then you would google some random who says the other way and come back here so just do that... as an aside you don't ever line up slits on expansion or compression collars because they can become pinch points and cause local stress raisers. However, do as you google.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
After doing mucho video watching and reading (not research as I didn't write a peer reviewed paper) I have decided it will cost me about $180 for materials to make a carbon duck (sic). Best process would be wet layup laminate with vacuum setting at room temperature so that means a basic kit, some additional 3k weave, some peel ply and breather and a vacuum storage bag for use with the vacuum cleaner. First step is to make the mold and I will decide then whether to go with fibreglass (of which I have lots) as a trial or final product and then the carbon cloth. Female mold will let me make an insert to fill the void in the reentrant shape or alternatively I can look and see if I can do it as un upside down U with legs going out for the attachment and then make the inner separately. Anyways laterer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
On another subject I am looking to install a factory optional car part. Copied the workshop manual which lists a range of parts that are one use only. A couple seem a bit odd, like cable clamps and rubber mount but the rest look ok, bolts, o rings, gaskets. Except most of the stuff isnt in Oz. As the dealers are installing these bits themselves I can only ponder that the parts that are available are the only ones they change... I will go back through the destructions and the list and see, the main holding on bolts are ex Japan... Might see if I can but suitable grade 12.9 bolts here.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
On another subject I am looking to install a factory optional car part. Copied the workshop manual which lists a range of parts that are one use only. A couple seem a bit odd, like cable clamps and rubber mount but the rest look ok, bolts, o rings, gaskets. Except most of the stuff isnt in Oz. As the dealers are installing these bits themselves I can only ponder that the parts that are available are the only ones they change... I will go back through the destructions and the list and see, the main holding on bolts are ex Japan... Might see if I can but suitable grade 12.9 bolts here.
Just about all SHCS's you can buy are 12.9 if that's any help?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just about all SHCS's you can buy are 12.9 if that's any help?
I think the bolts will be ok but some parts which seem reasonable to me like special nuts that sit in the suspenders are not even on the parts list???? Might try another dealer me thinks.

EDIT:

OK, in stock and available...

Sump plug gaskets and axle lock nuts. Nuffink else...

Last edited: