The QUICK question thread.....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Mouse traps for outdoor use? What’s the go? Just one if the boxes they crawl into eat the bait then wait for them to perish?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Mouse traps for outdoor use? What’s the go? Just one if the boxes they crawl into eat the bait then wait for them to perish?
You're lack of proof reading your post makes it hard to know quite what your asking but I think your answer is drop the trap in a bucket of water to drown the mice.

shiny

You're lack of proof reading your post makes it hard to know quite what your asking but I think your answer is drop the trap in a bucket of water to drown the mice.
Sorry. Don’t post before first coffee. Spotted a few mice around the house and had one inside so trying to determine what types of traps to buy. Have the standard snappy traps inside but trying to suss outdoor traps.

Looking at the boxes where you place a block of bait inside. Mouse comes in nibbles and goes off to die. Just seeing if this the best choice or if there is something else that is better.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Sorry. Don’t post before first coffee. Spotted a few mice around the house and had one inside so trying to determine what types of traps to buy. Have the standard snappy traps inside but trying to suss outdoor traps.

Looking at the boxes where you place a block of bait inside. Mouse comes in nibbles and goes off to die. Just seeing if this the best choice or if there is something else that is better.
It's best not to let them nibble bait and then wander off to die. Baited rodents might get eaten by wildlife (birds of prey, for example) or pets which then causes them to die or get very sick.
Also, you don't want them dying in a wall cavity or somewhere equally difficult to access to remove the stinking carcass.

Having said that, it sounds like you might be referring to something like this? In which case, they work quite well to catch them but you have to be prepared to finish the rodent off. I'm not, husband has that nasty job.

Edit: what @Freediver said!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Commercial properties where other wildlife is around tend to use those bait boxes. No idea how successful. Apart from the furry catchers the best I have used is a flip top kitchen bin with a lump of cheese and peanut paste taped to the lid. Make a bit of a ramp next to it from a couple of bricks and a bit of wood. Meeces climb up and jump on the lid which flips and resets trapping the mouse inside. I leave some cheese in the bottom then take them for a ride to the dump or someone's place who is low on the like scale.

Very effective. In Bilo I had about 30 in the bottom one morning.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Just get a hipster, as, gravel grinder as a boarder.

Best mouse catchers around

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nothing like gifting a mouse plague to an enemy. Remember to poison their lawn while you're there.
At a site I worked at the gardener was given notice. Not sure why though aromatic tobacco was mentioned. The lovely grass around admin had a few dead patches a week or so later. From the roof of one of the tall buildings the dead patches read "fuck u".

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
At a site I worked at the gardener was given notice. Not sure why though aromatic tobacco was mentioned. The lovely grass around admin had a few dead patches a week or so later. From the roof of one of the tall buildings the dead patches read "fuck u".
What an unusual pattern for the grass to die off in.

shiny

Thanks for all the replies guys n gals. Will pop into Bunnings and see what the range is like. We have bushland across the road so don’t fancy killing the birds except the pigeons!

@Dales Cannon will see if I can rig a up a small caddy bin. The family has sighted the mice around the deck which is on a sloping site so tricky to find a level spot to set up underneath.

@Knuckles we have a cat but she is old and lazy and mostly indoors so have threatened her to do her job!

Want to knock it them out this winter otherwise we might be seeing a few snakes come summer.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sounds like you'll be digging a death pit @shiny! Put Dale's bin trap in the death pit, empty mice into a bag, throw bag into raging fire...it's the only way. Either that or freezing them as per the cane toad directions. Do you want a freezer full of miceicles? Maybe you know someone with a snake? They may want to trapped mice. I drowned a mouse once. It was sad.

Remember when you open the bin trap those little fuckers can jump! Really really jump!

shiny

Sounds like you'll be digging a death pit @shiny! Put Dale's bin trap in the death pit, empty mice into a bag, throw bag into raging fire...it's the only way. Either that or freezing them as per the cane toad directions. Do you want a freezer full of miceicles? Maybe you know someone with a snake? They may want to trapped mice. I drowned a mouse once. It was sad.

Remember when you open the bin trap those little fuckers can jump! Really really jump!
Yup, grew up on a rural property, little buggers are jumpy and quick. Not sure neighbors would welcome the smell of BBQ mouse!

Thinking a couple of these with fast action poison inside might be the go:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/the-big-cheese-multi-catch-mouse-trap_p3010134

then tip dead mice in bag and bin them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yup, grew up on a rural property, little buggers are jumpy and quick. Not sure neighbors would welcome the smell of BBQ mouse!

Thinking a couple of these with fast action poison inside might be the go:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/the-big-cheese-multi-catch-mouse-trap_p3010134

then tip dead mice in bag and bin them.
Bin them? Why would you waste perfectly good stink bombs like that? Surely you have an enemy?

You could put a bit of water in the bottom of the bin...that'd sort them out fairly quickly.

Or send them to regional NSW. The government, while busy playing racist mind games, has also found the energy to offer safe harbour to mice out that way.

shiny

Bin them? Why would you waste perfectly good stink bombs like that? Surely you have an enemy?

You could put a bit of water in the bottom of the bin...that'd sort them out fairly quickly.

Or send them to regional NSW. The government, while busy playing racist mind games, has also found the energy to offer safe harbour to mice out that way.
Does Aus Post accept mice? Could post them over to NSW…….they won’t notice a few more.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We have bushland across the road so don’t fancy killing the birds except the pigeons!
We have had none here and your bushland is the same bushland as mine only 3km on the other side.

No cats about here either.

shiny

We have had none here and your bushland is the same bushland as mine only 3km on the other side.

No cats about here either.
Yeah, it’s baffling, been here 12-13 years and first time we have had them. A few people at work have had issues as well but they are out North. They are tiny mice, I presume what they call native mice. Hopefully a few traps and we can knock them out.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah, it’s baffling, been here 12-13 years and first time we have had them. A few people at work have had issues as well but they are out North. They are tiny mice, I presume what they call native mice. Hopefully a few traps and we can knock them out.
We have them at work and Melrose but none here.

I presume what they call native mice.
NOOOO... anytime an animal is being a pest, its the Aussie way to say they were introduced by the pommes :p