The QUICK question thread.....

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Stupid question, why aren't there more africans represented in pro cycling? I mean surely the genetic traits in speed (i.e. sprinters) carry over for stuff liek track sprinting. As for the tdf, endurance style events, then yeah I know it's probably lack of access to drugs haha.
Watch this will give you some insight

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I’m sure I’ve read this somewhere before, but can’t find the answer easily....

Using Shimano 10 speed, currently XT 786 with RAD cage on 11-42. Want to go to 11-46 and stay 10 speed. Sure I’ve read that SLX/XT 11 speed RD will play nice with 11-46 and 10 speed shifter without the need for a goat link or RAD cage.

Anyone with experience that can confirm??
I might be interested in that cassette + derailleur if you're considering parting with it..

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a friend in Singapore that races over there, mountain biking is in infancy stage, but the races are hell funny to watch, part of their racing is sometimes sliding down hills caked with mud.
Small riding community, big rains. There’s some good people getting around on 2 wheels in the jungle over there

HamboCairns

Can someone tell me what tool this person uses to extract the spindle on a Nukeproof pedal?

On 21 seconds he folds out some kind of socket wrench but it makes no mention of what it is.

HamboCairns

I realise in hindsight I made a mistake and bought a Shimano Optislick inner shifter cable rather than the full inner/outer/ferrule kit (I'm upgrading the shifter from Deore to XT).

My bike is only 6 months old or so, would I be able to just replace the inner cable or do you think I should get the full kit and do it properly?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I realise in hindsight I made a mistake and bought a Shimano Optislick inner shifter cable rather than the full inner/outer/ferrule kit (I'm upgrading the shifter from Deore to XT).

My bike is only 6 months old or so, would I be able to just replace the inner cable or do you think I should get the full kit and do it properly?
Unless your outer cable is smashed up or flagged full of shit you should be fine to just replace the inner cable. I'm lazy with that kind of thing and have used outer cables well past their use by without significant issues.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

The existing outer is unlikely to be flogged out after only 6 months, so running just a new inner will be fine. Also, shifter comes with an inner cable, so you'll have a spare.

HamboCairns

It is an easy and inexpensive task...so why not? But like I said, if the outer cable is in reasonable condition it won't matter.
Ah good! Sorry I was just going by the videos. I've not replaced shifter cable before so I wasn't sure if it was a one way deal (like my dropper cable) which means removing from the derailleur and maybe damaging the ferrule (of which I have zero spares).

I'll just give it a crack today and learn something new!