The QUICK question thread.....

tobbogonist

a registered member
Excellent thanks @moorey, completely forgot seat tube diameter and i just figure everyone is riding 29ers (thats what we called them in the unicycling community)
PF bottom bracket.
I can but new hoses on it etc.
Now ive got a direction to aim in.

(Edited to state i stand by my statement
and will butt a hose)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Stupid question, why aren't there more africans represented in pro cycling? I mean surely the genetic traits in speed (i.e. sprinters) carry over for stuff liek track sprinting. As for the tdf, endurance style events, then yeah I know it's probably lack of access to drugs haha.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Limited access to equipment probably has a lot more to do with it.
Well yeah, that’s part of the long answer. It’s expensive and takes lots of resources to get around to races, maintain equipment etc and so there’s much less access in less wealthy countries.

But pro cycling is undeniably Euro-centric, and there’s very little investment of energy in developing talent outside Europe. The UCI’s idea of broadening cycling involvement is running some races in China or wealthy oil states. Football finds and develops talent all over the world, cycling doesn’t. Yes budgets are different and the short lifespans of teams likely plays a part, but it’s the culture of the sport too.

Colombia is pretty much the only place that you might consider global south that regularly creates pro cyclists. There are barely any Asian riders even in the pro ranks either despite massive cycling participation across China, Japan, SE Asia. I don’t think anyone can say that if teams went looking they wouldn’t find just as good climbing talent in Indonesia or Vietnam or Kenya or Rwanda as they do in Colombia.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
you might consider global south
Dumbest PC term ever. Most of the "global south" is actually in the northern hemisphere and their all north of us. Worse than "developing country" which is also JPD when a heap of them are stagnant and not developing anything. Stick with 3rd world.
It's even dumber to apply it to Columbia which although it has more poverty than Australia, is still a wealthy country.

Beyond poverty though I think a big factor is they just aren't into it. When you're only experience of cycling is on a Black Mamba or Flying Pidgeon that your dad uses for commuting it's probably a bit harder to relate to.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Dumbest PC term ever. Most of the "global south" is actually in the northern hemisphere and their all north of us.
Sure, call it what you want, but if your issue with it is a matter of geography it might be worth reassessing. Point remains - your comment about Colombia is exactly the point I was making.

The “they just don’t like it” argument is nonsense.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There's a good documentary about Nairo Quintana, he didnt start riding till he was 15 and certainly came from a very poor family.

Start around the 5:00 minute mark.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
To me, the question is like asking, why are there not more asian people playing AFL? Probably because AFL is Australian. Cycling as sport and cycling for transport are two totally different things. While there are bikes everywhere in the world, there's a long history of cycling as sport in Europe. Not so much in Africa.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
To me, the question is like asking, why are there not more asian people playing AFL? Probably because AFL is Australian. Cycling as sport and cycling for transport are two totally different things. While there are bikes everywhere in the world, there's a long history of cycling as sport in Europe. Not so much in Africa.
Because no one outside of Vic, SA and WA gives a shit about AFL, and the asians in those states are put off by the bogans?

Cycling is popular in Asia but it's more based around mtb and touring. I'm still amazed at the number of people we saw on touring bikes when I crossed the Tibetan plateau with my wife.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Because no one outside of Vic, SA and WA gives a shit about AFL, and the asians in those states are put off by the bogans?

Cycling is popular in Asia but it's more based around mtb and touring. I'm still amazed at the number of people we saw on touring bikes when I crossed the Tibetan plateau with my wife.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Exactly, maybe they just don't give a shit about racing bikes.