The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Does anyone here run a business in the mtb industry?
Why do you think we have time to talk shite on here :p

Saying that, the bike industry that usually gets smashed by everything that happens, got a massive coronavirus boost.

Nerfherder and a few others have bike related businesses, other related to wheelbuilding, suspension ect... though lately very absent. Must be busy, hopefully.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm curious to know if working in the industry dulls some of the passion for actually participating in it (going for a ride!).

For example my wife is good enough to start a photography business but setup costs notwithstanding, she wouldn't want to because the pressure to deliver would take away the enjoyment she gets from the actual photography.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm curious to know if working in the industry dulls some of the passion for actually participating in it (going for a ride!).
I used to take teenagers mountain biking for work 4 days a week. I also volunteered to take other teenagers mountain biking 1 day a week. On my days off I went mountain biking. Riding 7 days a week was the best work life balance I've ever had.

Perhaps not the aspect of the industry you mean, but...it was good.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
100% I know 2 people who rode and worked, loved MTB and used to work on bikes and fix/build bikes off CRC and Wiggle back 10yrs ago, they got an opportunity to open a bike shop with a family inheritance, quit their decent jobs and opened a shop.

They had no time for riding anymore, they went sad.

5yrs later that shop was gone.

I have no idea what it cost them but it was definitely a few friends.

They ride again now.

Still my friends now but it was hard for them.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It's a real labour of love for @Scotty T
After the business was handed down to me from a long line of Kable Krimp Pimps, it has been hard work due to the dwindling market. But it was nothing compared to the great Krimp Krash in the early 2000's when the MTB market was halved by hydraulic disc brakes. In the 2010's we've seen 1x halving things again, however some droppers and levers have helped with a small percentage of that loss. Electronics and gearboxes are the next threat, basiscally we're doomed.

Seriously though having tried my hand at a couple of side businesses related to hobbies over the years, I probably should have spent that time between my primary business and riding. I get more satisfaction out of helping with a web site related to my hobbies (I barely brew beer these days but remain the club webmaster) than I did trying to make money from them.