The QUICK question thread.....

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Have you got a picture of it? It took me a few goes to get my R8000 FD working right - including some cable slipping too - and it came down to cable routing... the little tension adjuster plate thing is a real PITA.
I have the R8000 as well and it's pretty similar mechanism. The routing is same too. Managed toadjust that one without problems.

moorey

call me Mia
I might invest in a cheaper MIPS later on as well as my replacement.

I'm aiming to get the new Giro Source at a 40% discount :)
My main 2 are my only MIPS helmets (speed frame pro and rampage pro). The others are ones that I updated mainly for vanity. Spare OF’s are in multiple locations for if I forget a helmet (one in each car), others are kept at work for if one of my clients needs one. The 2 FF’s were just things I’d never wear again. Super2r convertible never felt right as either FF or OF. The other was an Urge DH helmet. Solid and comfy, but weighed a ton, so when I got into enduro more, updated to a fancy carbon Fox.
Haven’t looked at the Gyro Source. Any good helmet at a reduced price is a win. My FF was 1/2 price.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
My main 2 are my only MIPS helmets (speed frame pro and rampage pro). The others are ones that I updated mainly for vanity. Spare OF’s are in multiple locations for if I forget a helmet (one in each car), others are kept at work for if one of my clients needs one. The 2 FF’s were just things I’d never wear again. Super2r convertible never felt right as either FF or OF. The other was an Urge DH helmet. Solid and comfy, but weighed a ton, so when I got into enduro more, updated to a fancy carbon Fox.
Haven’t looked at the Gyro Source. Any good helmet at a reduced price is a win. My FF was 1/2 price.
Giro Source has just been released - it takes the best bits of the Chronicle (the helmet I crashed in) and the Montaro apparently. Giro seems to be made for my head so I'm sticking to them!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Really getting into MTB has been an eye wallet opener.
Not so much our helmets as we don't grow out of them, they just age and 'should' be replaced.

You want your kids to be as safe as possible and that costs $$$ for decent gear.
Mine are not allowed to leave the house on their enduro bikes without a FF (Fox proframe) knees, elbows and gloves.
I'm not spending all that money on quality MTB gear that they are growing out of, for it to be left at home.

HamboCairns

Not so much our helmets as we don't grow out of them, they just age and 'should' be replaced.

You want your kids to be as safe as possible and that costs $$$ for decent gear.
Mine are not allowed to leave the house on their enduro bikes without a FF (Fox proframe) knees, elbows and gloves.
I'm not spending all that money on quality MTB gear that they are growing out of, for it to be left at home.
Oh yeah agreed completely, my daughter has a nice new Giro helmet, my son will be getting a new one with his new bike.

ozzybmx

Oh yeah agreed completely, my daughter has a nice new Giro helmet, my son will be getting a new one with his new bike.
:) Sorry mate, I wasn't questioning your safety ethics !

Was just saying that keeping them in good quality (safe) gear is bloody expensive but making sure they wear it is a bigger issue. I make sure my concerns about their safety is played out in the form of forcing them to wear the shit that I buy them or they dont ride. They wear it anyway because its comfortable gear but that again adds to the price.

I went through a whole ordering hoo-haa with a mate of mine, he spent $700 in one go, on protection for his boy who had started riding recently - Fox Rampage FF, knees, elbows, gloves ect.

The young fella was doing train runs up to Belair and his dad called me to see if I could adjust his gears. He appeared in a singlet, a half lid helmet with a crack down the front, no elbows, no gloves... he did have knees on.
I told him what he was doing was silly and called his dad, my mate said he couldn't control what he wore, he just shouts he going and disappears :oops:

A few months back, the young fella ate dirt pretty badly (4th or 5th time in as many months), 4 broken teeth, plastic surgery and skin grafts to face and a bottom lip that was basically torn off by putting his teeth through it, collarbone and a fair amount of cuts and bruises to the whole body.

I'm listening to his dad tell me about the list of injuries and the dental bill thinking how avoidable most of it was.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

A few months back, the young fella ate dirt pretty badly (4th or 5th time in as many months), 4 broken teeth, plastic surgery and skin grafts to face and a bottom lip that was basically torn off by putting his teeth through it, collarbone and a fair amount of cuts and bruises to the whole body.
Faaark! How old was he?

ausdb

Being who he is
That's terrible. I think full face is a bit much for the trails mine ride but knee pads would be worthwhile.
Yes but the cost of a pro frame or similar is peanuts to dental restoration work. I seriously need to get a FF for my son after his last effort just trying to jump a curb.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's terrible. I think full face is a bit much for the trails mine ride but knee pads would be worthwhile.
Half lid is fine until you're sliding down rocks on your face.

I wear a fullface helmet because there's (just) a handful of spots that could seriously fuck me up if I crashed there with an open lid. Ironically the only place I've binned it hard was on smooth dirt, but given in that moment I was basically ripping a face-grind - I was quite happy to have been wearing the fullface.

ozzybmx

Shit yes, FF are for shuttles, train runs and jump parks. If mine are doing a trail ride they wear half lids and sometimes knees, if they are doing an XC ride, its only a XC/Road helmet.
When they go out on their enduro bikes, they end up doing at least train runs and jumps parks so they just automatically select their FF helmets without being told.

If you are wanting to get him knees of some sort, look at the lighter protection/scuff pads to start, they will stretch a bit and probably wear out before he grows out of them.

ozzybmx

Yes but the cost of a pro frame or similar is peanuts to dental restoration work. I seriously need to get a FF for my son after his last effort just trying to jump a curb.
Wait till they crash on a $280 helmet and you look at it and think :oops: thats fucked... but it did its job.

Back to the shop or a repeat order from Pushys.