The QUICK question thread.....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So when fitting new dropper lever went to remove seatpost.. was firmly seized in there with clamp fully off.. had to wriggle it out, ended up being scratched to buggery. Inside of seat tube was like sandpaper... Tried to give it a bit of a clean up but didn't change much..
Is this common? Can it be fixed? Any other comments/suggestions?
Sounds like corrosion. Prevention with good marine grease is better than curing with wet/dry sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Petero

Likes Dirt
Sounds like corrosion. Prevention with good marine grease is better than curing with wet/dry sandpaper.
Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking, but it's fairly new.. guess it doesn't take much.. Certainly wasn't greased by LBS.
Just have to live with a two tone seatpost... at least it's past the insertion length..

EDIT: Is it standard to grease a seatpost (AL frame)?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Inside of seat tube was like sandpaper... Tried to give it a bit of a clean up but didn't change much..
Is this common? Can it be fixed? Any other comments/suggestions?
Might have been one of those nasty carbon pastes used to assemble. There’s a fairly gentle one - blue something?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's what I was thinking, but it's fairly new.. guess it doesn't take much.. Certainly wasn't greased by LBS.
Just have to live with a two tone seatpost... at least it's past the insertion length..

EDIT: Is it standard to grease a seatpost (AL frame)?
Absolutely it is! More than standard, it is essential.

As for the lbs, grease costs money as small of an amount as it may be...no grease costs no money. Damn right arses.

It may have come from the factory without the precious goo.

You want to give the inside of your seat tube a clean. It could just be a build up of stuff...

Minlak

custom titis
Might have been one of those nasty carbon pastes used to assemble. There’s a fairly gentle one - blue something?
Morgan Blue is the one your thinking of - usually only used when the seat post slips.
Galvanic corrosion can be very quick and devastating

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hmm, I mean the LBS is a great guy, but so far;
  • Added spacer onto cranks that shouldn't have been there - fell off mid-ride.
  • Lock-on grips turned loose.
  • Rim tape no on properly (leaks through nipples at low pressure - although suggest this is factory applied)
  • Now dropper post scratched to buggery from trying to remove..

I feel bad hitting him up for any replacements, but this is pretty poor, no?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
  • Rim tape no on properly (leaks through nipples at low pressure - although suggest this is factory applied)
Was this a new prebuilt bike, or installation of new parts?

Minlak

custom titis
Is it galvanic is it's similar metals? Assume seat post is also aluminum..
It can occur between aluminium’s depending on their make up - but I was actually meaning between carbon and aluminium- sorry should have mentioned that Morgan Blue is a brand for carbon assembly paste

Flow-Rider

Burner
Let them know that they fucked up, sometimes shop owners don't have a clue what goes on when employee's do most of the work.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Is it galvanic is it's similar metals? Assume seat post is also aluminum..
Galling or cold-welding rather than galvanic corrosion if dealing with aluminium post and frame; different cause, same result. Anodising on the outer surface of the post will reduce, but not totally eliminate the reactive potential. A liberal greasing will separate the contact surfaces and go a lot further toward limiting reactions.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Has anyone here been the proud owner of an intense SS? (V1)

Frame came with a 222mm shock, but a Google search has led me to believe that a 216 is what it was meant to have. Running the 216 would probably be preferable because I happen to have a spare monarch+ now and I like air, and it fits up fine and doesn't seem to max out on anything, but just wondering if anyone knows what the frame was intended to run?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk