The QUICK question thread.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sorry I have asked this before and tutorials don't make a distinction but can you sandpaper organic pads or just sintered ones?
Resin/organic pads usually need more frequent sandpapering than metal because they're more prone to glazing.

Cooking glazed pads is totally pointless, because the glazing is caused by overheating. "Contaminated" is more often than not a misdiagnosis for glazed pads.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Resin/organic pads usually need more frequent sandpapering than metal because they're more prone to glazing.

Cooking glazed pads is totally pointless, because the glazing is caused by overheating. "Contaminated" is more often than not a misdiagnosis for glazed pads.
Is it possible to cook the glaze into an even harder finish?

moorey

call me Mia

It’s easy yo see if they’re glazed. I assumed people could see this. It’s a silly assumption.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It’s easy yo see if they’re glazed. I assumed people could see this. It’s a silly assumption.
Most people seem to presume that lots of noise + minimal friction = contaminated, but more often than not it's just glazing. However if the brakes have really been overcooked, the rotors can be affected too, and there doesn't seem to be a reliably effective recovery from overdone rotors.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Probably cook the whole pad thickness into a uselessly hard compound if you tried just a little bit....
Can I substitute in glacé for glaze, it would appear that I'm all out.
Well now I'm thinking toffee pad, high sheen finish, and a little brandy flambe to set it all off. Served in a pool of caramel cream and topped with an assortment of glace fruit.

Most people seem to presume that lots of noise + minimal friction = contaminated, but more often than not it's just glazing. However if the brakes have really been overcooked, the rotors can be affected too, and there doesn't seem to be a reliably effective recovery from overdone rotors.

Surely the angle grinder?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Is there such a thing as a replacement 90mm grip for kods grip shifter? Beyond ebay $5 versions that qill wear out before ive finished installing them?

Am i better off cutting a spare pair of lock ons? Will they stay put with only the outer ring on?
A few pages back I asked pretty much the same thing. There are some dodgy SRAM ones around, but ODI don't make any 90mm anymore.

The consensus seemed to be chopping the standard lock on grips was fine. Just the outer clamp is all good.

FYI the 90mm ODI Rogue that in currently running have had the inner ring chopped off and they've stayed put.

My next move is chopping some Oury single ply grips down and hitting em with the hair spray.

moorey

call me Mia
These came up on my FB feed....are they meant to be for the huskier person? All the people shown using them are just slip poseur flogs.
Also wonder about them in an insurance claim.

Petero

Likes Dirt
So when fitting new dropper lever went to remove seatpost.. was firmly seized in there with clamp fully off.. had to wriggle it out, ended up being scratched to buggery. Inside of seat tube was like sandpaper... Tried to give it a bit of a clean up but didn't change much..
Is this common? Can it be fixed? Any other comments/suggestions?