The QUICK question thread.....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
What sunscreen do people use? I find I'm not much more than half an hour into a ride and I've sweated it of my face. Bonus points if you can suggest one that doesn't sting your eyes.
How long before a ride do you put sunscreen on? I read that it should be applied about 20-30 minutes before going outside, so the sunscreen can dry and bind with the skin.

Neutrogena make some good face and body sunscreens. The face ones are usually a bit lighter.
The other one I have is something the Dermatologist suggested (along with Neutrogena, I think)
I'll have to have a hunt for the tube.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What sunscreen do people use? I find I'm not much more than half an hour into a ride and I've sweated it of my face. Bonus points if you can suggest one that doesn't sting your eyes.
Cancer Council Active SPF 50+ is excellent, or Cancer Council Sport SPF 50+ a close second.

I sweat profusely in warm weather, and the Active one lasts me hours in direct sun even if walking/riding. I have had it on and been out for 5-6 hours without application and not got burnt. Without it, I'd be lobster spec after a couple of hours in the same conditions.

The Everyday SPF 30+ does sweat off when exercising though.

Like @ForkinGreat says though, best applied at least 20 minutes before a ride. I find with sunscreen it's also not much use applying it shortly after you've jumped out of the shower (and dried yourself) as it still seems to lift or get flushed off as your skin cools/dries.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sunscreen is one thing I used before every ride. I just use the Aldi Ombra 50+ 500ml pump pack. I get a few months out of a bottle and I haven't been burnt yet. It is smooth to put on and not thick and pasty like some others I've used.

It also stings your eyes. I find no need to put it on my forehead above my eyes as let it run down with sweat as the helmet if there anyhow.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Like @ForkinGreat says though, best applied at least 20 minutes before a ride. I find with sunscreen it's also not much use applying it shortly after you've jumped out of the shower (and dried yourself) as it still seems to lift or get flushed off as your skin cools/dries.
You shower before a ride? I indeed respect good personal hygiene and this an an extra special effort :)

safreek

Have a crack at the oil of Olay moisturizer, +15 and +30. Works a treat, never been burnt when using it. Seems to suck into the skin and leaves no oily greasy residue.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have pretty good skin, the shape of it not so much. Before a ride or paddle I try to screen up 15 mins before but have had no issues slathering then going, only exception to this is getting in the water, definitely wait then. Worst burn I had was from some out of date 50+ friends had. Didn't notice the date which was years out. Looked worse than no spf at all.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'll give that a go next time.
cool. So, what I generally use is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Clear Face (oil free) sunscreen - 30SPF.
I sweat like a muthafukka, and I had to stop using the zinc based sunscreens , as my skin couldn't breathe properly, and they were greasy AF.

The other one I've been using (that the dermo gave me) is ProPaira SPF50, Light lotion, and supposed to be 4hrs water resistant (if applied properly: 20-30min before sun exposure so it can dry etc)

both of these are a light lotion style. I'm done with the greasy ones.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Body:

Face:

Sometimes I'm a chunt and use the face one for the body but it's expensive stuff.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The key with any sunscreen is to apply it 20-30mins before a ride.

The best sunscreen I've used hands down was Hamilton Quadblock. It was made when spf30+ was the max rating and it is still available online but I have no idea what kind of use by date these would have. Quite greasy and relied heavily on zinc and ti oxide but would protect you from a nuclear blast.

Next best is a product only available online from Fiji. https://fj.purefiji.com/products/sunblock-balm-concentrate-spf-50 Again very heavy use of zinc and ti oxide. But very good for sensitive skin and is also super persistent if allowed to dry properly. It worked really well for our fair skinned son in Fiji.

The best stuff I've found locally is the Hamilton Sport. Similar to Quadblock in greasiness but isn't quite as effective, due to lower zinc and ti.

Have used some of the fancy Laroche Posay and Nuetrogena but just haven't found them as effective.

There is this stuff from Amazon which looks very effective, but it's expensive and I haven't tried it yet. https://amzn.asia/d/2qU4xYa

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I haven't tried it riding yet, but ive been outside the last couple weekends sweating up a storm doing landscaping and I found the Neutrogena Beach Defense spray pretty good. Its SPF 50+ Aerosol. Spray right on, let it absorb. Don't even need to rub it in (unless you go thick). Has kept me sunburn free while sweaty without any issues for 6-8hr days in the sun (reapplied throughout the day of course). Smells nice, minimally creasy on application, after it soaks in, its pretty standard sunscreen feel. No eye sting from sweat from the forehead that i can recall.

Based on its performance i will definitely be giving it a go when i next ride.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Does anyone store bikes vertically long term? Any issues with fluids in brakes and shock/fork?
No issues here, all my bikes hang vertically in the garage.
I imagine if your brakes already have air in them it could move to the highest point if you're playing with the levers while it hangs, probably ok for rear brake, not as great for front brake...but yeah.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
No issues here, all my bikes hang vertically in the garage.
I imagine if your brakes already have air in them it could move to the highest point, if you're playing with the levers while it hangs probably ok for rear brake, not as great for front brake...but yeah.
Yes I store mine vertically too and definitely had no issues with the brakes. No idea if there's a risk to suspension lubrication, haven't noticed anything anyway.