The QUICK question thread.....

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Nice ! I've never swapped one on that model. That will make it easier... apart from the reassembly jigsaw.
Yep, I assume the circlip is to hold the piston in..?

On these ones the bit in the blue circle hinges on the part circled orange. In the blue circled bit you can see one of the "hinge pins" was broken so I drilled and put a metal one in.

That blue circled piece is what holds the piston in by way of the "free stroke screw".

A vise is a must when assembling that part, as you need 3 hands to push the piston in whilst simultaneously fitting the 2 plastic bits and screwing the free stroke screw in.
IMG_20230120_111116.jpg

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yep, I assume the circlip is to hold the piston in..?

On these ones the bit in the blue circle hinges on the part circled orange. In the blue circled bit you can see one of the "hinge pins" was broken so I drilled and put a metal one in.

That blue circled piece is what holds the piston in by way of the "free stroke screw".

A vise is a must when assembling that part, as you need 3 hands to push the piston in whilst simultaneously fitting the 2 plastic bits and screwing the free stroke screw in.
View attachment 396340
Oh, I just swore profusely every time I dropped that fucking little plastic bit, or the free stroke screw, or both.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
You're not mad, the XT's don't have a circlip. XTR levers have a circlip holding the piston in and they are really fiddly to remove and put back.
(not my photo)
I was starting to question myself too :oops:

The last 2 I replaced were circa 2016 M9000 XTR Race off the yoinkers XC bike.
One was completely stuck and the other was getting sticky.

ausdb

Being who he is
Wasn't sure if I should post this in the garmin watch feature thread or here. I'm looking to dip my toes into a fitness tracker/ gps watch as after Christmas I'm the only one in my household without something like this.
I'm looking at a Fenix that can do maps and music, a new 7 is way out of the budget so was looking at cheap used to try things out first. I have seen a used 5X plus for around $250 which seems OK but due to the size probably wont be an everyday watch. I was also looking at used 6's but the price goes up and have realised I can get a new 6 pro from Amazon for $577 delivered, which I could probably stretch to.
Any suggestions?

Minlak

custom titis
Wasn't sure if I should post this in the garmin watch feature thread or here. I'm looking to dip my toes into a fitness tracker/ gps watch as after Christmas I'm the only one in my household without something like this.
I'm looking at a Fenix that can do maps and music, a new 7 is way out of the budget so was looking at cheap used to try things out first. I have seen a used 5X plus for around $250 which seems OK but due to the size probably wont be an everyday watch. I was also looking at used 6's but the price goes up and have realised I can get a new 6 pro from Amazon for $577 delivered, which I could probably stretch to.
Any suggestions?
Get the 6 new !!! Then you have warranty and some updated features not available on the 5 - I have the 5 and am trying hard to justify a new 7 - thought my 5 finally died after 3.5 years but did a reset and still going great :( so no new one yet for me

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Same bike, I have gone from RP23 which was almost useless to a Monarch RT3 (?) Which was pretty decent to a Topaz. The Topaz is brilliant by comparison. Not sure which series... bike isn't here at the moment. Topaz though was easier to tune and works.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
What sunscreen do people use? I find I'm not much more than half an hour into a ride and I've sweated it of my face. Bonus points if you can suggest one that doesn't sting your eyes.