The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
The school doesn't offer that, sound awesome though.
Its awesome, there are 200-300 kids running around with the same computers, the IT guys have seen the faults 50 times over.

Dropped from 2m eh ? What's not working ? Ah... the RAM stick has been unseated as it hit the ground... fixed in 10 mins.

A few years back they were all Acer, now looks like Lenovo.

Here's the current link to LWT for the school. You should approach your school and put the idea forward.

 

Flow-Rider

Burner
Jeebus, Cash Converters is just a very small step above Gerry Harvey.
Office works do the same thing as Gerry, their stuff used to be even locked in to their own IT company. I'd be more worried you might end up with something hot from cashies. If you know it's only going to get broken, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to spend a lot.
 
Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just going through prep for my guy starting year 7 next year.
We didn't get a choice, school nominated chromebooks that have special software to link into the schools network. Same deal as ozzy, in house support and insurance repairs. We will also be forced to upgrade again for year 10.
 

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Just going through prep for my guy starting year 7 next year.
We didn't get a choice, school nominated chromebooks that have special software to link into the schools network. Same deal as ozzy, in house support and insurance repairs. We will also be forced to upgrade again for year 10.
We've been told that "Chromebooks can be used but may not be compatible with all programs and software currently being used in the Year 7-10 curriculum as they are more limited and restricted in capability" ...hmmm, wtf are they using these for...Mars Rover Mission v2.
 

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've been told that "Chromebooks can be used but may not be compatible with all programs and software currently being used in the Year 7-10 curriculum as they are more limited and restricted in capability" ...hmmm, wtf are they using these for...Mars Rover Mission v2.
I like your joke but I’d probably say they’ll be aiming for Microsoft Office use. Our primary school didn’t allow Chromebooks for this reason.
 

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I like your joke but I’d probably say they’ll be aiming for Microsoft Office use. Our primary school didn’t allow Chromebooks for this reason.
Exactly right, they've said don't pay for any software as that's a freebee, primary is a bit OTT for full Office though.
 

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Just going through prep for my guy starting year 7 next year.
We didn't get a choice, school nominated chromebooks that have special software to link into the schools network. Same deal as ozzy, in house support and insurance repairs. We will also be forced to upgrade again for year 10.
We came from a quiet little hills type primary school that I'm not convinced even had computers, down to a suburban type that told us we needed to pay for a certain Chromebook for 3 kids that the school could most definitely not assure us would be usable the next year when the twins went up to year 7 and changed schools. I hit "no deal" and told them I'd sort out Chromebooks for them, and went and installed chromium OS on a few old netbooks I had around. Got them through the year and moved them all to another school the next year that used regular assed windows laptops that could be used further than grade 6.

Grumpy old man rant...
In all honesty it was a bit of a culture shock. The little school in Selby was in line with my perception of a school, They'd moved from blackboards to whiteboards and had open common areas, but for the most part it was pencil and paper and a teacher at the front of the class. The new schools were/are heavily tech focused and went to lengths to tell us just how much time my kids would be spending staring at a screen in a big room with 4 classes and teachers sort of moving around as they needed. My brain couldn't reconcile all this, I'm not afraid of tech, I worked in the industry and made sure the kids had tech and could use it proficiently early on (with time restrictions). But in my head that's not what schools should be like and definitely not primary schools. Now between this and covid reclusive hangovers they all spend roughly 93.5% of their waking day staring at screens (the other 6.5% is eating without conversing or making eye contact) so I guess all my concerns were unfounded ...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
 

pink poodle

スキーをする
We came from a quiet little hills type primary school that I'm not convinced even had computers, down to a suburban type that told us we needed to pay for a certain Chromebook for 3 kids that the school could most definitely not assure us would be usable the next year when the twins went up to year 7 and changed schools. I hit "no deal" and told them I'd sort out Chromebooks for them, and went and installed chromium OS on a few old netbooks I had around. Got them through the year and moved them all to another school the next year that used regular assed windows laptops that could be used further than grade 6.

Grumpy old man rant...
In all honesty it was a bit of a culture shock. The little school in Selby was in line with my perception of a school, They'd moved from blackboards to whiteboards and had open common areas, but for the most part it was pencil and paper and a teacher at the front of the class. The new schools were/are heavily tech focused and went to lengths to tell us just how much time my kids would be spending staring at a screen in a big room with 4 classes and teachers sort of moving around as they needed. My brain couldn't reconcile all this, I'm not afraid of tech, I worked in the industry and made sure the kids had tech and could use it proficiently early on (with time restrictions). But in my head that's not what schools should be like and definitely not primary schools. Now between this and covid reclusive hangovers they all spend roughly 93.5% of their waking day staring at screens (the other 6.5% is eating without conversing or making eye contact) so I guess all my concerns were unfounded ...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

All just part of the machine complex plan to dehumanise us.
 

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
We came from a quiet little hills type primary school that I'm not convinced even had computers, down to a suburban type that told us we needed to pay for a certain Chromebook for 3 kids that the school could most definitely not assure us would be usable the next year when the twins went up to year 7 and changed schools. I hit "no deal" and told them I'd sort out Chromebooks for them, and went and installed chromium OS on a few old netbooks I had around. Got them through the year and moved them all to another school the next year that used regular assed windows laptops that could be used further than grade 6.

Grumpy old man rant...
In all honesty it was a bit of a culture shock. The little school in Selby was in line with my perception of a school, They'd moved from blackboards to whiteboards and had open common areas, but for the most part it was pencil and paper and a teacher at the front of the class. The new schools were/are heavily tech focused and went to lengths to tell us just how much time my kids would be spending staring at a screen in a big room with 4 classes and teachers sort of moving around as they needed. My brain couldn't reconcile all this, I'm not afraid of tech, I worked in the industry and made sure the kids had tech and could use it proficiently early on (with time restrictions). But in my head that's not what schools should be like and definitely not primary schools. Now between this and covid reclusive hangovers they all spend roughly 93.5% of their waking day staring at screens (the other 6.5% is eating without conversing or making eye contact) so I guess all my concerns were unfounded ...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Explain to them how in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
 

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Just been through this process for my daughter for Year 5 next year. We had 3 choices. Buy her a laptop, lease from school for $300 a year or borrow one from the library each day. She can borrow from the library, we will look to buy a laptop through school when she is in high school. Just means she has to save everything to the cloud to access work at home as the laptop has to be returned at the end of the day.

I’m with you @Plankosaurus the amount of screen time at school is getting nuts but as my daughter said to me you work all day on a screen then stare at your screen at night,,,,,touché.

Old man yells at cloud…..
 

ozzybmx

call me Cáitín
I bought an earlier version of this when I did the Training & Assessment qual a couple of years back. Works perfectly well for office and homework.
Was only $299 back in 2020 :)

 

yuley95

Rides a great parmie
Anyone know where you can cheaply pick up a replacement cable nut sleeve for a dropper post. I sold a post but didn't have the sleeve to pass on. I was using it fine with just the cable end sitting in the actuator but would be good to point the buyer to a cheap replacement if I can.

Part I need pictured below:

ST5601_x1024.jpg
 

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone know where you can cheaply pick up a replacement cable nut sleeve for a dropper post. I sold a post but didn't have the sleeve to pass on. I was using it fine with just the cable end sitting in the actuator but would be good to point the buyer to a cheap replacement if I can.

Part I need pictured below:

View attachment 395019
MTB direct used to sell them.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
 
Top