The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok even though it’s supposed to be spring leading into summer but with current weather conditions it seems to be more rain than sun.

Currently looking for recommendations for a wet weather jacket for commuting, must be waterproof and comfortable to ride in, my current one has worn out and is lacking the waterproofing so makes for a shitty train ride home. Not really fussed on price but looking for something that does the job as I will be commuting rain, hail or shine so it needs to work.
I have a gortex shell from Kathmandu that I use for warmer days on snow. Light, comfy, waterproof, and bright yellow. A friend has the same one he uses fishing. I haven't ridden a bike in it so don't know for sure how it would go, but I think I would work. I got it on a mega clearance sale at around $200.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The good thing about the cut of bike-specific ones is they cover your arse when you’re riding in the rain. Regular jackets are usually too short at the back or bunch around the front.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The good thing about the cut of bike-specific ones is they cover your arse when you’re riding in the rain. Regular jackets are usually too short at the back or bunch around the front.
Indeed. I used to have a wilderness designs jacket for riding with a dropped back to cover my arse and thumb holes to keep the sleeves down. The Kathmandu jacket I have is longer than normal, sits well below the waist/hips.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I got soft in more recent years and started driving to work in shit weather, but prior to that I'd wear my Ronstan sailing jacket for riding in wet conditions... Breathable, and with neoprene + velcro cuffs, collar & waist, very waterproof, however lacks the extended bum cover of cycling-oriented designs. Given that many sailors like to wear their buoyancy vests under the jacket, the fit is very generous for stated size. :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not really fussed on price but looking for something that does the job as I will be commuting rain, hail or shine so it needs to work.
Gore Bike Wear Shakedry.

Bought in 2018 for a bikepacking trip, superlight single layer gore-tex.
Took me a year or two to actually wear it regularly as I was scared of tearing it.
Now used on most rides a month or so on each side of Winter, even without rain. Folds up to nothing and weighs bugger all.

Pooling sweat after a big steamy climb dries out in 10 mins.

If I destroyed or lost this one, I would buy another tomorrow.

Probably the best item of clothing I've ever bought.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Anyone been to the the Forrest trails recently? I know they're doing some work out there building new trails (closed), I know the Yaugher side is currently untouched, but they had been planning a refresh of red carpet etc and I cant work out if its refreshhed and ridable, or refreshed and currenlty bedding in or closed. Anyone know?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
150 or 130 travel? Can you have both.;) They are supposed to be a very nice bike.
They have both but only the 150 with the Ohlins. Supplier doesn't have the 130 link at the moment but in the future it could be swapped out pretty easily.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is it the headtube routing? That made me puke a little but the rest of the bike looks so good.
The whole shock-inside-the-bike thing never really appealed to me to be honest. Especially it having a Fox shock and my experience with every friggen Fox shock I've had leaking (air) like a sieve. So yeah, fussy shock placement plus headset cable routing as well, much blergh. And tend to agree with pink poodle on the looks. I know some folk froth them, but not I.

That, and you're filed under the "raw metal frame guys" category in my Rotorburn user catalogue. :p

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The whole shock-inside-the-bike thing never really appealed to me to be honest. Especially it having a Fox shock and my experience with every friggen Fox shock I've had leaking (air) like a sieve. So yeah, fussy shock placement plus headset cable routing as well, much blergh. And tend to agree with pink poodle on the looks. I know some folk froth them, but not I.

That, and you're filed under the "raw metal frame guys" category in my Rotorburn user catalogue. :p
All valid points I have considered and generally agree with. Unfortunately it also ticks the great deal and new bike category which are hard to resist.

Thank you for your RB unlikely voice of reason. Bird stays and no plastic bike time.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
i reckon they look rad, but agree adjusting/maintaining the shock seems like a PITA.

Like i can imagine setting sag is going to be a 2 person job