The QUICK question thread.....

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Derailleurs suck - spend hours trying to tune the gears on ones that “Look” straight - the sooner we get cvt the better
The irony is this is shifting perfectly the way it is…. But yeah, I’m all in on gearboxes in the future.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can newish Lyric Ultimates be dropped to 160mm travel?
Aren't Lyrics anywhere from 140-160mm? Although that's maybe just since they brought in the Zeb.
It shouldn't be an issue for older models though. Quick google search looks like there's always been a 160mm Lyrik model

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
How is the parts availability on these, better/worse than Shimano currently ?
The gearbox itself, I haven't had to replace anything.

The shifter, either Zerode or there's a few European options. I've purchased a spare before, and that was like buying anything from os, no problem.

The cranks, same story as above.

Cogs and belt are still the original ones on the Zerode (about 2,400 ish km) and hardtail (about 800 km), but I have bought spares from Zerode. There's also the European stores.

Anytime I've had to buy something, which is really only spares as a backup so far, I haven't had any issues getting stock.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Didn't @zaf have a bit of a problem with his belt?
Who?? :p

I remember someone with a name like that having an issue...

They happen from time to time, much like with chains. Mine on the dually has been good so far. It's taken a rock strike or 2 which has taken a few little chunks from the rubber backing of the belt, but the fibres have stayed intact.

From what I can tell, most failures are from extended rubbing or misalignment.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I also think he attempted to find a replacement from everyday autoshop parts.
I think those attempts were after he swapped the belt to chain but then the chain rubbed on the chainstay (due to the smaller diameter chainrings fitted for the chain) when the suspension was compressed.

I have a vague feeling the belt had been rubbing on it's side around the same area. So it must've just been a bit tight for clearance around the chainstay yoke area generally.

Wish he'd hung around to be honest, would love a long-term update on that bike.

cammas

Seamstress
Ok even though it’s supposed to be spring leading into summer but with current weather conditions it seems to be more rain than sun.

Currently looking for recommendations for a wet weather jacket for commuting, must be waterproof and comfortable to ride in, my current one has worn out and is lacking the waterproofing so makes for a shitty train ride home. Not really fussed on price but looking for something that does the job as I will be commuting rain, hail or shine so it needs to work.

cammas

Seamstress
Thanks @shiny I’ll have look at Ground Effects but a middle aged stout/round bloke in Rapha on a gravel bike :rolleyes:
If anyone has first hand reviews it would be good, also pants would be great.