The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anyone got some recommendations for good restaurants in Bright? I ate at the pub last night, looking for something nicer. I'm not a beer drinker, so the brewery doesn't really appeal.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
How many people here have bought a new Yeti for their dentist or had smashed avocado on bike because they used a Shimano quick link more than once? I wax my chain which means I'm taking it off every couple hundred kms and I don't like the idea of buying a new one each time. I've survived reusing them 3 or 4 times but then I get nervous.
Does everybody reuse them an if so how many times?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
How many people here have bought a new Yeti for their dentist or had smashed avocado on bike because they used a Shimano quick link more than once? I wax my chain which means I'm taking it off every couple hundred kms and I don't like the idea of buying a new one each time. I've survived reusing them 3 or 4 times but then I get nervous.
I've not done this with a shimano, but have inadvertently had to do it with a sram one after not having access to another. Held up fine. Not convinced they have to be replaced every time. Seems more a money spinner than a safety thing (to a point).

This might help

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I’ve had one I’ve used at least 6 times. Even swapped a couple between chains. If they start feel loose, I replace them. Some folk say you can use a pin punch to tighten them up again. I don’t get what the risk is meant to be, a chain shouldn’t really see compression forces while riding, so as long as it isn’t going to get flicked loose during chainslap it should be fine (IMO).

Just make sure you fit it the right way around or the chain link police will be on your case, right @Mattyp? :p

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I wax my chain as well and have reused the quicklink on it so far for the life of the chain, which has been at least 5 waxes.

EDIT: I have also put the link back on ALL of the ways and I haven't sold any bikes or started riding gravel (did contemplate building up a gravel bike at one point though, so maybe @Mattyp is onto something :p)

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I’ve had one I’ve used at least 6 times. Even swapped a couple between chains. If they start feel loose, I replace them. Some folk say you can use a pin punch to tighten them up again. I don’t get what the risk is meant to be, a chain shouldn’t really see compression forces while riding, so as long as it isn’t going to get flicked loose during chainslap it should be fine (IMO).

Just make sure you fit it the right way around or the chain link police will be on your case, right @Mattyp? :p
Theres a very good reason that arrow is there. You can put it in the right way or sell your bikes and ride gravel. Right @beeb?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Those SRAM/kmc/ybn are shit! The kidney shaped ones from Wipperman are almost indestructible. I've got one that must be 15 years old and still going strong.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I’ve a sram one I’ve opened up after every single ride, has done more then 5000km.

Single use my arse. Believe sram had to state that to circumvent a patent.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Those SRAM/kmc/ybn are shit! The kidney shaped ones from Wipperman are almost indestructible. I've got one that must be 15 years old and still going strong.

How much do Whipperman pay you!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That is a Shimano 11 speed one. First time I've had it happen.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Katsu, little Japanese takeaway, my go-to when in Bright.
I saw that place last night. It looked good and smelled tasty! But I don't see dining in my little motel room as too interesting.

I saw those guys and thought with a name like that, surely they are a steak house...I was wrong. I may still end up there as they don't take bookings and the town seems pretty busy. A couple of places I looked at online were booked out. It appears the town has plenty of options in the day time. I saw there is a distillery but they close at 7pm.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Same here. I have had the Wippermann ones for so long I can't remember. Never has let go.

I also don't take off the chain regularly for any maintenance regime. That must help a lot.