The QUICK question thread.....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Do people use anything (grease/carbon paste/ KY etc) when fitting bars to stems or just dry and correctly torqued? I always put a bit of carbon paste when fitting my bars to the stem but I've told to run them dry... Paint me curious.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Do people use anything (grease/carbon paste/ KY etc) when fitting bars to stems or just dry and correctly torqued? I always put a bit of carbon paste when fitting my bars to the stem but I've told to run them dry... Paint me curious.
I haven't used it on any carbon bars yet. My bars have a rough surface near the stem clamping spot and have stayed put. I have used it on seatposts in CF frame but NFI if or how much difference it makes.

Time for the more learned carbon paste enthusiasts to chime in and settle this one once and for all.

DMan

I haven't used it on any carbon bars yet. My bars have a rough surface near the stem clamping spot and have stayed put. I have used it on seatposts in CF frame but NFI if or how much difference it makes.

Time for the more learned carbon paste enthusiasts to chime in and settle this one once and for all.
So you just fit them dry though and torque them up? I also did it because I thought a bit of grease/ paste stopped them creaking..

DMan

Same. It just ensures that the bar (and steerer) won't move when using the correct torque settings.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Do you paste the stem on the steerer too then?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
So you just fit them dry though and torque them up? I also did it because I thought a bit of grease/ paste stopped them creaking..
Mine haven't creaked. The Renthal stem seems to like a lick of grease between its metal plates to keep it quiet but nothing I can blame on the stem and bar interface yet.

The Copperhead and Horizon bars never makes a noise. I can blame any creaks on Fox CSUs instead :D

DMan

Mine haven't creaked. The Renthal stem seems to like a lick of grease between its metal plates to keep it quiet but nothing I can blame on the stem and bar interface yet.

The Copperhead and Horizon bars never makes a noise. I can blame any creaks on Fox CSUs instead :D
I will definitely put a little on the stem then.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
With anthing carbon to Ali I use carbon paste. Galvanic corrosion is a big issue, keep them separated.
Especially when putting an aluminium post in a carbon frame. Not as critical for a carbon post in an aluminium frame because the clearcoat isolates the reactive bits. Bit still use carbon paste to prevent slipping. I never grease or paste bar, stem or steerer, don't have any problems.