The QUICK question thread.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, probably limited to clamp-on derailleurs (yuck) and hoping the tube shape suits.

@Cardy George - ze Germans sometimes have the individual rings in stock. Not exactly common though. Sounds like Shimano is going to be pruning the production of 'historic' models over the coming year or so to focus on the newer products. Interesting/scary to see what gets the chop...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yep, probably limited to clamp-on derailleurs (yuck) and hoping the tube shape suits.

@Cardy George - ze Germans sometimes have the individual rings in stock. Not exactly common though. Sounds like Shimano is going to be pruning the production of 'historic' models over the coming year or so to focus on the newer products. Interesting/scary to see what gets the chop...
There's a possibility of permanently putting mechanical shifting on it for 24hr duties. It may well bring that in to reality.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know - I've tried to bring her round...

What about actually physically mounting the derailleur? Would that even be possible on a frame designed without a front mech in mind?
I don't like your chances, new modern low BBs with triples are just bad to start with, then I don't think you'll have a fun time adjusting the FD as the seat tube angles are fairly different on modern bikes, the best option would be to stick with 2X but as said above it's all getting rare to find. Up until a few years I used to see the direct mount bracket adaptors for sale, whether you can fit one to a late model frame seat tube in the right position is another story.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
so Ive noticed creaking coming from my BB area when i put power down. Ive diagnosed this as the most likley area as it only makes the noise when im pedaling and increases in intensity the harder i push. Not the seat as it occurs when pedal standing up, its actually worse then.

I've taken everything apart down there, cleaned, re greased etc. Ive inspected the frame, chainring, bearings, cranks, the pedals have been removed, threads checked, reinstalled etc and all seems to be in order. Any thing else it could be down there at i may have not known to check? Whats the next incremental change i can do if i cant diagnose? eg replace press fit BB bearings?
Derailleur hanger?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I know - I've tried to bring her round...

What about actually physically mounting the derailleur? Would that even be possible on a frame designed without a front mech in mind?
I have a vague memory reading recently that the Canyon Lux can still run a front derailleur.

They have a tiny little chain guide and I think they sell a mount that goes in its place.

Could be misremembering tho

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a vague memory reading recently that the Canyon Lux can still run a front derailleur.

They have a tiny little chain guide and I think they sell a mount that goes in its place.

Could be misremembering tho
Actually Canyon was on her radar, I'll check it out. Did see that little chain guide thingy

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why are so many of our fine mtb community riding road bikes?

I even hear, from a very reliable source, that some are riding said road bikes, virtually, on a trainer!!!

Roadie wankers, the lot of them. Banish them to purgatory.
Are you locked down in your lavatory?

moorey

call me Mia
Why are so many of our fine mtb community riding road bikes?

I even hear, from a very reliable source, that some are riding said road bikes, virtually, on a trainer!!!

Roadie wankers, the lot of them. Banish them to purgatory.
I’ll give a pass to our brethren stuck in lockdown who can’t access dirt.
The other? Kill em all and let a Norse god sort them out.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Ok does anyone know how I can find out if some one is actually dead? - no I don’t mean things like poke them with a stick - just got told of someone passing in August this year - no obituaries online anywhere but apparently that’s not unusual - is there like a registry that all deaths have to be recorded too?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Try this

National Death Index (NDI) - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (aihw.gov.au)

Births, deaths and marriages registries | australia.gov.au (but you need to talk to them and answer questions like what fucking business is it of yours, etc)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok does anyone know how I can find out if some one is actually dead? - no I don’t mean things like poke them with a stick - just got told of someone passing in August this year - no obituaries online anywhere but apparently that’s not unusual - is there like a registry that all deaths have to be recorded too?

You mean like each state's registry for births deaths and marriages? For example in NSW:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You mean like each state's registry for births deaths and marriages? For example in NSW:

Surely there’s a grumpy gatekeeper, fee and extended waiting period to extract any information from BDM?

Minlak

custom titis

Yeah no good to me - they don’t just tell you some one died - you need to pay to get a certificate and have to have a reason / connection to the person to even get it.