The QUICK question thread.....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I will make a mold, probably inside shape and go over. That way I can watch the lay and final flatness of the top. Styrofoam mold so I can cut it out if it sticks. Will be subject to engine bay radiant heat though minimal. Resins seem ok to 70C ish.

I can get 1m x 1.2m of cloth for about $75 and resin will take it to $100.

Reckon I will give it a go.
I can't remember how epoxy resin goes with it, but polyester resin will dissolve styrofoam/polystyrene in seconds. One of my boatbuilding jobs included sticking in blocks of styrene for buoyancy; we'd swathe it in packing tape first before glassing it in so the resin wouldn't eat it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I can't remember how epoxy resin goes with it, but polyester resin will dissolve styrofoam/polystyrene in seconds. One of my boatbuilding jobs included sticking in blocks of styrene for buoyancy; we'd swathe it in packing tape first before glassing it in so the resin wouldn't eat it.
That is the trick, wrap the mold with tape. Works with glass resin, have done it a few times. I will watch a few more wideoes. Al one served as test fit and will do until I get around to the other. First thought was carbonfibre board and the special tape but it is lots of pieces that way. And you still need to apply resin and a surface protecting finish or clear coat. I managed to make it from three sections in Al but that was with bending and twisting which won't be possible with board but should be OK with mat or cloth. I can go a little taller but width and length are maxed out. Using fibreglass cloth you can get it to conform with quite intricate shapes so I am hoping carbon weave will do that too.

Weight isn't a big deal, the aluminium version weighs bugger all. it is just for looks and to satisfy my ego.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If there is scope for reshaping, rounding off hard edges will be a big help. Fibres don't like them; you'll end up with big bubbles and/or bulges and a really shit layup.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If there is scope for reshaping, rounding off hard edges will be a big help. Fibres don't like them; you'll end up with big bubbles and/or bulges and a really shit layup.
Plan is R5-10 on corners. Al was just square for ease of weldering. I will confess to trying brazing but the 2mm thick material was a problem. Also you have to scrub it so hard to get the oxide off the surface is ruined.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So with a little welding help from a fiend I have made this. It works goodly but I feel the need for carbonium. Has anyone made anything using carbon cloth and resin? I know I could make it from fibreglass now I have the master but that is a bit 1956. I will paint the aloominioom black but some pretty carbon would be nice. Process for non structural seems the same as glass work, no need for vacuum or oven. It is quite small, 150x 350 x 55. Anyone?

Problem solved @Dales Cannon

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I can't remember how epoxy resin goes with it, but polyester resin will dissolve styrofoam/polystyrene in seconds.
Epoxy resin is fine with styrofoam (EPS).
Do a test bit first though if you're not certain. But polyester resin will eat it for sure. Polyester resins can be used with polyurethane foams (old / Trad surfboard tech), but PU foams are nasty stuff.

Depending on how smooth you want the inside though, it can take a bit of sealing to get a nice surface finish on EPS. It is porous, so the resin can get into the little cracks between the foam. Also depends on the density of the foam and your methods of course. Vac bag will pull more into the foam and can crush molds of lower density EPS.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Plan is R5-10 on corners. Al was just square for ease of weldering. I will confess to trying brazing but the 2mm thick material was a problem. Also you have to scrub it so hard to get the oxide off the surface is ruined.
Anything less than the quality this guy is producing is a fail... But seriously, WOW. OCD much?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Also, my own QQ. We have a small trampoline for the kids and tossing up the idea of asking Santa to get a big one for them, worth it? Or will it just take up a bunch of space in the yard and not get used? They are 6 & 4.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Also, my own QQ. We have a small trampoline for the kids and tossing up the idea of asking Santa to get a big one for them, worth it? Or will it just take up a bunch of space in the yard and not get used? They are 6 & 4.
It's a crapshoot. I have seen both sides of the ledger. But if it was me, and I had the available flat space, I would 100% go for it.

moorey

call me Mia
Dooo eeeet. It will get used to death, then used less, then bouts of intense use, but they’ll keep using it. Great exercise.
Both Felix and Quinn still regularly use ours after 7 years.

Lucaw

Next in line
I don't know, but the 66 would be nice on the front of your frx.
Yeah, @clockworked 66 is 180, and I’m trying to figure out if you can reduce them in travel to 160 but given I don’t know the year it’s a little tricky.
I also have a 1 1/8th 55 with a broken damper. I want to replace the damper but I can not find any 55 dampers but I have found a 66 damper, hence my question

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, @clockworked 66 is 180, and I’m trying to figure out if you can reduce them in travel to 160 but given I don’t know the year it’s a little tricky.
I also have a 1 1/8th 55 with a broken damper. I want to replace the damper but I can not find any 55 dampers but I have found a 66 damper, hence my question
Why not 180 on the front?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Hope X2 Tech Evo brakes. I note that hose kits come in straight connector or 90 degrees (banjo bolt). The hose run for the banjo location isn't ideal for my bike, there's plenty of stock of the straight through kits and I'm wondering if the straight through hose kit would be an option.
Given it seems fucking stupid to have a straight through hose connect at 90 degrees to the caliper if one switches the banjo fitting for the straight through, is it as simple as putting the bleed port where the banjo fitting goes and using what was the bleed port location for the straight through hose connector?