The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yup, I assumed a chain was $40-$50, $25 is much more reasonable.

All these little bits sure add up though, I worked out that if I had just bought my bike, dropper and apparel, I'd have a Rockshox Pike by now!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
QQ: should I pull the shields on my new banshee frame pivot bearings (when it gets here) and fill them with grease? If so, what type? I've got generic marine grease, Morgan's aqua proof, slickoleum...

moorey

call me Mia
QQ: should I pull the shields on my new banshee frame pivot bearings (when it gets here) and fill them with grease? If so, what type? I've got generic marine grease, Morgan's aqua proof, slickoleum...
They’re just bearing covers...I can see it attracting gunk and dust, making the issue worse.

dirtdad

To be clear - I mean lifting the rubber bearing seals, greasing ze balls, and reinstalling seal (plus all other frame shit) afterwards.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I find how much grease bearings have varies from brand to brand and bearing to bearing. Just use any nlgi2 grease. I avoid EP greases because they can be corrosive when wet. Lift the inner seal only and pack the bearing. Rotate it a bit to distribute the grease then reinstate the seals.

moorey

call me Mia
To be clear - I mean lifting the rubber bearing seals, greasing ze balls, and reinstalling seal (plus all other frame shit) afterwards.
Personally, I’m not a fan of removing the seals. I know some bearings can come undergreased, but I take my chances rather than messing with new seals.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Does anyone here recommend an anti-seizing paste from a car shop for their bike bits and other stuff?
The cu based stuff is good for ti bits. Otherwise the ceramic shimano stuff is the go.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

dirtdad

I bought the Park antiseize a while back to make up shipping on an order. Figure it should be ok for bikes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
So this would be good for adding to pedal and bottom bracket threads?
I used antiseize on anything that screws in.

I think use of copper lubes for bikes were originally for threads between unlike metals, like Ti and alloy or Ti and steel to prevent galvanic bonding, or something. They don't seem to harden or dry up as much like using a traditional grease like Pedro's.

Copper lubed threads have always undone easily for me no matter where I've used it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I used antiseize on anything that screws in.

Copper lubed threads have always undone easily for me no matter where I've used it.
Same, both silver and copper based Loctite anti seize (free from work)

Goes on every screwed thread that needs to be kept lubed, seatpost/seattube, BB shells ect...really good on cleat screws too, they are the most shittiest and abused screw on a MTB setup, keeps the screws from rusting in and destroying the cleat plate.

I always wear gloves when handling it though, the MSD names a few know carcinogens.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Same, both silver and copper based Loctite anti seize (free from work)

Goes on every screwed thread that needs to be kept lubed, seatpost/seattube, BB shells ect...really good on cleat screws too, they are the most shittiest and abused screw on a MTB setup, keeps the screws from rusting in and destroying the cleat plate.

I always wear gloves when handling it though, the MSD names a few know carcinogens.
So would that Penrite stuff be ok? Can't be doing with all the $99 minimum order bollocks all the time.