The Photo Snob Thread

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does anyone elese regret getting the 450d
as soon as i bought it and played around with it
i thought i should of spend the extra couple hundred and gotten the 40d
.. Its not really made with adult male hands in size. Sounds trivial but yes...
I love my 450D .... my first digital SLR. I like the size (used to own a Pentax ME about 20 years ago which was similar in size.).

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just taken the plunge, splurged on my 2nd L lens, 24-70mm f 2.8L to go with my 200mm f 2.8II L! cant wait for it to arrive!
Hey Dave...where can I see some photos taken with the 200mm f2.8? Is that what you used for the photos of the 24 and Nicolai? Have you got any shots at 3 chillis or the goatfarm using the 200mm? -- I'm really interested in that lens instead of getting the 70-200 f2.8L (or f4L).

BTW, is it true Canon is coming out with a "made for digital" version of the 70-200 2.8L?

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Dave...where can I see some photos taken with the 200mm f2.8? Is that what you used for the photos of the 24 and Nicolai? Have you got any shots at 3 chillis or the goatfarm using the 200mm? -- I'm really interested in that lens instead of getting the 70-200 f2.8L (or f4L).

BTW, is it true Canon is coming out with a "made for digital" version of the 70-200 2.8L?
hey mate!

havent gotten any riding shots with the 200 yet (more like a 300 on the 40D), im mainly snapping a couple of friend's weddings with it at the moment, but hopefully will get out to a state round to give it a crack!

i was tossing this up between the 70-200 F4 L but chose to get the faster lens... but if given the choice betweeh the 200 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8, id probably take the 70-200 2.8L with IS. ultimately i wanted the EF 200mm f2L but alas my wallet is not that deep :p

just hanging out for the 24-70 2.8L now! will pretty much complete my lens line up (bar a few specialty lenses)

ive uploaded a few pics taken from the 200 2.8

Attachments

Last edited:

black rider

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
quick question for the snobbles out there.
I recently bought a sony a200(actually it was a while ago) and now Im looking at buying a camera mounted flash.
so can any one reccomend any that are cheap and pretty straight forward to use. Dont mind second hand

cheers
Mate, I've got a Sigma for my a100. Can't remember what model though (530EX?). I think it was under $300 from the US (bhphoto) back when the dollar was up. There also was a cheaper model available. You can also get Sony flashes, but from memory, they're expensive. Whether they're worth it...?

I haven't had any problems with the Sigma, but it is a little loose on the mount, which can be a bit disconcerting when carrying the camera. Pretty simple to use if you let the camera control it.

I'm pretty sure that the Sony cameras use a different flash mount, so take that into account if you're going to order online / go secondhand.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive heard mixed reports with AON but I still insure with them. Haven't made a claim as yet. Other insurance companies I have made claims with have all been asses tho.
Do you ensure your gear under house and contents insurance? Or does it come under another catagory?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You can insure under Home and Contence. The cameras just need to be listed. The other thing is they may only cover upto a certain amount. So if your lense is over say 5k, they'll only cover to 5k. That's just an example.
Your items will also be covered OS if you request it in your policy.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Canon 1000D

I had a chance to use the Canon 1000D last night. And you guys think the 450D was small....OMG!:eek:
Takes a pretty good shot, and very easy to change settings on. Well thought our menu. Akin to a P&S menu in many ways.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hux, have you ever tried an Olympus E-520? They are pretty small as well! (Much better "feel" than the 1000D in terms of being "plasticy" though...)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You can insure under Home and Contence. The cameras just need to be listed. The other thing is they may only cover upto a certain amount. So if your lense is over say 5k, they'll only cover to 5k. That's just an example.
Your items will also be covered OS if you request it in your policy.
A mate of mine was explaining that he plays XX amount per day/week/month (do not recall the time interval) and he is essentially covered for anything, from an accidental droppage, to leaving it on a train on the way to uni.

I figured it would be something worth considering as my camera does spend a bit of time around my neck, rather then packed away and it would be reassuring to know I was somehow covered it something happened.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MX racing .... great subject matter. I spent 2 days at a local race on the weekend. It really demands 300mm plus lenses though.
I love this shot (despite shooting straight into the sun and unable to rely on a flash for a change :D ).

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
MX racing .... great subject matter. I spent 2 days at a local race on the weekend. It really demands 300mm plus lenses though.
I love this shot (despite shooting straight into the sun and unable to rely on a flash for a change :D ).
Bloody copy cat!:D I like yours better!
Awesome shot TP, where was that taken? The Causeway track?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hux, have you ever tried an Olympus E-520? They are pretty small as well! (Much better "feel" than the 1000D in terms of being "plasticy" though...)
No I haven't Sean, can't say I actually "need" another camera!:D Looks the goods though!

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
hello snobbles,
I have a couple more questions for you guys.
I am entering a photography competition for national youth week, the theme is make a move.
So what I was thinking is I will head down to my local beach very early when the light is right, and take some photoes of the swimmer dudes in the tidal pools, but get it just before they jump in to make it look hesitant.
so my question is what do you guys think of this? does it sound any good, if so how would I go about it, would I just go and have a chat to the guys and ask if I could get them to pose it or something, as I have never shot anything like that before?

Another question is, in the rules it states
Entries that have been digitally manipulated will not be accepted.
Does this mean that if I put an image onto my computer and fill light or something they will reject my work?

anyway if anyone understood any of that and could drop some input I would much appreciate it.

cheers,

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bloody copy cat!:D I like yours better!
Awesome shot TP, where was that taken? The Causeway track?
Haha , yeah saw your MX shots a few pages back , so what sport are you going to shoot next (so I can do some homework. :p )
Yeah , it's a whole new track , same location. The race was a big deal , national round or something ?

more pics here

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
hello snobbles,
I have a couple more questions for you guys.
I am entering a photography competition for national youth week, the theme is make a move.
So what I was thinking is I will head down to my local beach very early when the light is right, and take some photoes of the swimmer dudes in the tidal pools, but get it just before they jump in to make it look hesitant.
so my question is what do you guys think of this? does it sound any good, if so how would I go about it, would I just go and have a chat to the guys and ask if I could get them to pose it or something, as I have never shot anything like that before?

Another question is, in the rules it states
Does this mean that if I put an image onto my computer and fill light or something they will reject my work?

anyway if anyone understood any of that and could drop some input I would much appreciate it.

cheers,
Does sound like a pretty cool idea. But you could also try setting up a shot yourself, to get exactly what you're after, rather than relying on the randoms that might be around.

As for the digital manipulation question: You'll be fine. Digital manipulation means adding in things that weren't actually there and entering an image that's not so much a photo, but a digital creation, for example, fake. I'd say general photoshopping is not only acceptable, but necessary. If they say otherwise, you're better off not entering...:p