XC The new XC whip.

Winno

Likes Dirt
I went back to a hardtail after selling my RM Element.
I'm thinking of racing again and thought one of these new 2018 Trek Procaliber bikes (18.5" for my 172cm height) would be good. Some of my favourite days out have been on hardtails.

This one is the 9.8SL with the top mountain carbon frame, carbon rims, cranks, bar and post, GX 1x12sp Eagle drive train, Level TLR brakes and Boost hub spacing.
Claimed weight is 9.8kg.

The pic is fresh from the shop before dropping the seat and bar height and before fitting up some XTR race pedals. I got AR 3C tyres fitted. I raced on them and know them well although the move from 26 to 29 will take a little getting used to. They're a great all round tyre. I'm running tubed for the time being but I have a half bottle of Stans and rim strips so might make the switch to tubeless shortly.

One casual ride and I still think dialled XTR shifts better - quicker, quieter, more quickly, and under load than the GX Eagle but I'll give it time to fine tune before entertaining XTR again. I do miss the index finger shifting though.

28660721_10214157001775677_6440937872658308239_n.jpg

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wicked rig... I like your choice of colours too. ESI grips and tubeless will make it more comfortable too.

Enjoy your KOM hunting!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Where are you looking to do this comparison?

I can find 1x M9000 for within the bounds of a GX Eagle kit.

Last edited:

Winno

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the comments lads.

If I move to Shimano (likely at this stage), I'll run an 11sp XT 11-46 cassette and XTR shifter and derailleur. I'm also thinking of going XTR Di2 after running Ultegra Di2 on the road bike. Would appreciate your thoughts on it.
The GX 50T at the rear seems attractive but I used to run a 10sp 34T (fr) and 11-42 (rr) on my 26er and could ride up almost anything with legs to spare.

So, going 32 (fr) and 11-46(rr) on a 29er would work for me. The XD cassette mount may be an issue though...

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure how much the 12spd GX cassette weighs but the 11spd XT weighs a metric ton compared to XTR or X01. If you like Shimano shifting I'd go XTR shifter and deraleiur, running on an E13 11spd cassette. Saves you buying a new driver for your hub as E13 requires the Sram freehub plus you get the bigger range with lighter weight. Just my 2c

Winno

Likes Dirt
I'll actually be sticking with a Sram 11sp XG-1150 cassette as my rear hub uses an XD driver freehub body.
Just pricing up XTR brake-set, 11sp shifter and mech right now.

I may be listing a GX Eagle 12sp cassette, shifter and Level TLR brake-set with matchmaker clamp soon...