The move to Warner Bros Discovery for WC coverage. Thoughts?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Was quite shocked when I found out reading this article: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/team-...d-discoverys-2023-world-cup-organisation.html

Straightaway, my thoughts go to no more free live broadcast, and general deterioration in every other contents. The fear is sort of confirmed when reading Q+A with Chris Ball (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-me-anything-with-chris-ball.html). His answers are typical 101 politics, avoid anything that is negative like e.g. future of live broadcast and Warner, only answers questions that which answers are going to be positive.

I honestly like the live broadcast and most of the contents made by RB. They have done a great job. It's a massive shame, and I can't help thinking how MTB is now undergoing the changes our road companion went through, or any other sports that have grown. I try to be optimistic, in thinking, there may be more venues, more racings around the year, but I can't get over the feeling that everything is going to go downhill (ironically) from 2023.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am intrigued to see what happens with the combined events.
Logistics of having all disciplines in one venue is quite a mind fuck.

My general feeling is Chris Ball seems to chop and change what he is doing to suit the loudest voices - although I have no experience with him personally. IMO the EWS is in no man's land at the moment with poor coverage, minimum racing and all stages being too DH orientated.

EWS coverage is junk, the long form recap doesn't show much riding at all and by the time it comes out everyone interested already knows the results

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interesting indeed.

I don't know a lot about anything TV but I do watch the DH replays on RedBull.

A quick hambo shows WB-DS has quite a few events (and companies) in their pocket already.

Would be shit to lose Rob Warner too, he makes the broadcast worth watching.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone who followed GMBN from it's early days till now (I stopped watching except for the occasional how to video a while back) may have an insight into the future of anything Discovery buys. GMBN went from an entertaining and informative YT channel to a total advertising and product placement platform. When they do occasionally cover an interesting or relevant topic, it's either dumbed down or rubbished. Lot's of marketing buzz phrases when discussing bikes or manufactures. Can't see them changing for WC coverage.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When they do occasionally cover an interesting or relevant topic, it's either dumbed down or rubbished. Lot's of marketing buzz phrases when discussing bikes or manufactures. Can't see them changing for WC coverage.
This is the biggest fear I hold for future coverage, they obviously want to obtain a wider audience for potential $$ return, however MTB fans generally love finer details. A watered down version of the sport is not good for anyone.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Anyone who followed GMBN from it's early days till now (I stopped watching except for the occasional how to video a while back) may have an insight into the future of anything Discovery buys. GMBN went from an entertaining and informative YT channel to a total advertising and product placement platform. When they do occasionally cover an interesting or relevant topic, it's either dumbed down or rubbished. Lot's of marketing buzz phrases when discussing bikes or manufactures. Can't see them changing for WC coverage.
Yeah Doddy's MTB coverage when he ran Factory Jackson was excellent. Such a good resource with some great photography. Been dormant ever since he got borged into GMBN.

I don't mind the roadie version of GMBN though, largely cus it's set up for an audience who know absolutely nothing (i.e. me)

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Didn't realise GMBN is owned by Discovery. No surprises though.

While it's possible that the takeover will make mtb more popular, it means more people riding. Trails will be under a hell lot more pressure and require more maintenance. Volunteers won't be able to keep up with maintenance. This can only be bad in my book as I can't see governments putting more money into trail maintenance and opening up more bike park.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Interesting indeed.

A quick hambo shows WB-DS has quite a few events (and companies) in their pocket already.

This is technically correct.
GCN/ GMBN is owned by Play Sports Group. Discovery has been increasing its stake in this company since 2017 and is currently 71% majority owner.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Didn't realise GMBN is owned by Discovery. No surprises though.

While it's possible that the takeover will make mtb more popular, it means more people riding. Trails will be under a hell lot more pressure and require more maintenance. Volunteers won't be able to keep up with maintenance. This can only be bad in my book as I can't see governments putting more money into trail maintenance and opening up more bike park.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEESSSSSS

And this is why I've always thought that the mantra of "get more people into the sport" was naive idiocy. It's what we have now and bikes/parts are more expensive than ever and the trails are choked with fucking idiots. Shit outcome all around.

And of course Diz owning the WC is bad. Nothing good will come of that, other than a few business minded folk making more money.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Interesting indeed.

I remember years ago during the freecaster days Eurosport also used to cover the downhill. Shit commentators and shit coverage (it was also mostly replays IIRC).

IMO, absolutely nothing good will come of Discovery having exclusive rights.

smaj

Likes Dirt
I only started watching the XC races this year. I was amazed by how good the free coverage was, so I'm pretty bummed that it'll be switching to Disco. Do any of the streaming services in Australia carry them e.g. Kayo?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I only started watching the XC races this year. I was amazed by how good the free coverage was, so I'm pretty bummed that it'll be switching to Disco. Do any of the streaming services in Australia carry them e.g. Kayo?
Doubt it. It'll however, be a little bit better if Kayo does carry them. But I seriously doubt it.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
it's going to be more fucked than a gay gang party with no lube,, it's not gonna be pretty and as already mentioned if they're tryna make the sport more popular than it already is the trails are gonna get gang banged into oblivion and so to are part/bike prices.

i've already called knobs out for cutting corners in a section that will get badly rain damaged with a change of water flow but fuck it if we add more knobs into the mix.

Skydome

and yeah coverage of ews is fucking shit by the time those recap vids are out the interest in the particular stage has likely dwindled/gone bcuzz we all already know the results or we've seen snippet of vids from our riding mates or some shit.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Vital just replayed an old Rob Warner podcast. The intro to it said that Warner advised that beyond this year it was ‘extremely unlikely that he’ll be commentating world cups in the foreseeable future’.

That’s pretty dire.

The only possible worse news would be that Discovery pick up Claudio as lead commentator :eek:

Skydome

guess 2022-2023 is gonna be the year for shitshows ehh.. can they at least put the butt plugs in to reduce the spray back?