The last movie you've last watched last

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I must admit I found the whole French plantation scene dragged a bit. I prefer the original.
I actually really liked those scenes, thought they gave a bit of a break from the hellscape of the rest of the movie and provided a bit of context. I first saw Redux as a dumb 18 year old and thought all Communists were the same, so learning that the Vietcong and Chinese despised each other and the only thing Vietnam wanted was reunification and to be left alone was pretty cool.

Also.... don't you mean Full Metal Jacket?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I actually really liked those scenes, thought they gave a bit of a break from the hellscape of the rest of the movie and provided a bit of context. I first saw Redux as a dumb 18 year old and thought all Communists were the same, so learning that the Vietcong and Chinese despised each other and the only thing Vietnam wanted was reunification and to be left alone was pretty cool.

Also.... don't you mean Full Metal Jacket?
Yes. Yes I do mean Full metal Jacket. Was definitely the era for Vietnam war movies. But Platoon was good as well. Willem Defoe is great in it.

I probably need to watch the Apocalypse Now Final Cut again. It’s been a few years.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yes. Yes I do mean Full metal Jacket. Was definitely the era for Vietnam war movies. But Platoon was good as well. Willem Defoe is great in it.

I probably need to watch the Apocalypse Now Final Cut again. It’s been a few years.
Good call. I probably do too. It's kinda like a Scorsese movie, you can keep watching it over and over and over again and it doesn't seem to get old.

Full Metal Jacket is (mostly) fantastic, boot camp is harrowing, the total wtf of the Tet Offensive is crazy, but the ending was meh. Platoon is excellent.

More modern Vietnam era movies I still haven't seen Danger Close. We Were Soldiers is up there (and apparently pretty good for historical accuracy).

Jpez

Down on the left!
Good call. I probably do too. It's kinda like a Scorsese movie, you can keep watching it over and over and over again and it doesn't seem to get old.

Full Metal Jacket is (mostly) fantastic, boot camp is harrowing, the total wtf of the Tet Offensive is crazy, but the ending was meh. Platoon is excellent.

More modern Vietnam era movies I still haven't seen Danger Close. We Were Soldiers is up there (and apparently pretty good for historical accuracy).
So true about Scorsese films.
I’ve not even heard of those films you mention. Will have a look.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
This is an awesome film. Is the final cut the version with the lengthy french detour?
Yes, but less of it according to IMDB. I have Redux but I actually haven't seen it (nor the theatrical cut).
IMDB said:
In the Final Cut version, all of the political-related dialogue have been relegated to the background (removed), as well the earlier introduction of De Marais and some of the boat shots earlier (including an early glimpse of the Reporter) so that the focus is more on Willard and Roxanne.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For me it felt like Kubrick got to a point in the film and realised he isn't know how to end the story, which in turn gave it the feeling of not having a story from the get go. Boot camp is excellent.

Yes, but less of it according to IMDB. I have Redux but I actually haven't seen it (nor the theatrical cut).
I see...for me the French distraction was an unnecessary extension to the film.

I'm bummed I missed the gang up on @Jpez over the mix up. Sometimes working just isn't worth the things you miss.

discofrank

Likes Dirt

So true about Scorsese films.
I’ve not even heard of those films you mention. Will have a look.
Danger close is great! not as good as say full metal or Platoon,
its an aussie film about the battle of Long tan, where the aussies where outnumbered by 12 to 1 or some other huge number and how they fought off the VC

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For me it felt like Kubrick got to a point in the film and realised he isn't know how to end the story, which in turn gave it the feeling of not having a story from the get go. Boot camp is excellent.

I see...for me the French distraction was an unnecessary extension to the film.

I'm bummed I missed the gang up on @Jpez over the mix up. Sometimes working just isn't worth the things you miss.
I like the end of FMJ, but I think it's because you can make fit a bunch of different themes.
For me it tied in to the intro and the shaving of the heads. We (the Marines, who are the government, who are us) took these children and broke them down. We bullied them, traumatized them, sent them to hell to kill, maim and watch others die. But it turns out these seriously broken people are still children (they all know the words to Mickey Mouse) and are coming home with all that baggage...

Apparently the original script called for Joker to die at the end

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Easy...I was fine with the surreal marching and singing at the very end. I just felt like the film lost its way not long after we caught up with Sgt Joker.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Watched “Air” on Prime last night. It’s based on the true story of how Nike signed Michael Jordan in 1984. It’s not so much a movie about basketball, but an account of the groundbreaking deal that Nike made with Jordan and how it transpired.

Solid performance by Matt Damon supported by Ben Affleck (also the director) and Jason Bateman, a few laughs and a nostalgic 80’s soundtrack for those old enough to remember.

slowmick

38-39"
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - a much darker movie than the others. Wouldn't "recommend" it. Can't say I came away happier. That said haven't seen any marvel movies since the last avengers. They may have all been darker since then.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - a much darker movie than the others. Wouldn't "recommend" it. Can't say I came away happier. That said haven't seen any marvel movies since the last avengers. They may have all been darker since then.
I honestly can't follow anything that's going on with Marvel anymore, the whole multiverse thing has jumped the shark imo, being able to just retcon anything that doesn't land properly just makes it meaningless, and all the new characters are boring.

Having said that, from your description I might actually give Vol. 3 a go, certainly sounds like they've tried something a bit different.

Anyway I watched The Menu. Holy shit. Was expecting an opportunity to laugh at wankers who pay obscene amounts of money to Instagram meals at restaurants and use terms like "flavour profiles" and I did get to do that but then the movie got a whole lot more malevolent in a way I absolutely wasn't expecting. Still enjoyed it though.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Finished Succession. Rare that a TV series finishes as strongly as it started, let alone one where there's ample material to keep it going, but still a 10/10. Where will I get my fix of Logan telling people to fuck off now?