The Last Kowalski...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Last month spent being crook with something resembling the flu, and not getting some kms under me. Whatever wave it was I signed up for on the 50km I will make sure I am at the back of it...

This is going to hurt.

We had an epic time at the Kow, so sad it won't be on no more.

In honour (and mourning) of the Kow I vow to wear my Kowalski Bros beanie all summer long.

Haakon

It was indeed a great ride, and some fantastic (although pretty sadistic...) trails laid on. Over 1000m of climbing over the 50km course and most of it was hard and steep switchback work.

Spot on weather for it too.

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
It was indeed a great ride, and some fantastic (although pretty sadistic...) trails laid on. Over 1000m of climbing over the 50km course and most of it was hard and steep switchback work.
Spot on weather for it too.
It would appear we've met our brief...

Here's what the HALF looked like as an animated line
http://selfpropelled.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017_HALFKowalski.mp4
Here's what the FULL looked like as an animated line
http://selfpropelled.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017_FULLKowalski.mp4

We would encourage your experiences in the form of feedback - send to alan AT selfpropelled DOT com DOT au
We will forward this feedback to ACT Government ministers to suggest that this area is perhaps too nice to turn into roof truss and at the very least suggest that fresh fields are required lest Canberra become a backwater for mtb. Canberra is too nice a place for that to happen.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It would appear we've met our brief...

Here's what the HALF looked like as an animated line
http://selfpropelled.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017_HALFKowalski.mp4
Here's what the FULL looked like as an animated line
http://selfpropelled.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2017_FULLKowalski.mp4

We would encourage your experiences in the form of feedback - send to alan AT selfpropelled DOT com DOT au
We will forward this feedback to ACT Government ministers to suggest that this area is perhaps too nice to turn into roof truss and at the very least suggest that fresh fields are required lest Canberra become a backwater for mtb. Canberra is too nice a place for that to happen.
Jeebus wept!

Haakon

Is there any reasonable hope they will forgo the harvesting for MTB tourism?

Feedback on the event itself is of course super positive (especially that dead set legend with the kiddie pool full of beer at the finish line!!!), a great course and atmosphere etc etc. Lots of cursing about sadistic prick course designers as we were slogging up some of the big climbs, but that's all part of the fun :)

Egg and Bacon sangas at the food station was an inspired idea...

Shame it was the last one, and a shame I kept forgetting to enter it the last few years.

What other areas could replace it?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Out near Cotter Dam was an idea that came to my mind... and then it seemed I wasn't the first to come up with it :whistle:

Good parking and facilities, an established camp site. I imagine a long trail out towards Tidbinbilla.

Would be good to get some traction on this, and I'd be happy to contribute.

Haakon

Somewhere with good tree cover would be ideal - Stromlo is tough when its really hot and the Kowen trails were great for the reliable shade.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Need plants to control erosion, create shade, reduce wind, etc. not plantation and new areas that don’t conflict with walkers and equestrian riders.

Haakon

I have zero idea what the existing uses and ownership/management status is, but out around cotter dam would cool. Going for a dip in the river after a ride sounds like a fun idea. Plenty of elevation to play with too.

Lot of hard yards with shovels first though... Sign me up.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Are you thinking at the actual dam, or in the pine plantations on the road out to Tidbindilla?

Also, do you guys ever ride Jerra? Its pretty underrated (due to its status) - but its a great ride

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The idea came to me driving towards Tidbinbilla from Cotter.

It's a lovely drive, and looking West the foothills of the Brindabellas look perfect for a long, undulating trail to spend a day on. A shuttle bus from Tidbinbilla back to Cotter could be an option (dreaming big here...)

And of course a couple of loops around the dam.

No idea of the management issues, but I can't imagine you'd be stepping on walker and equestrian toes out there.

I haven't ridden Jerra; really should check it out, but I'm spoiled living 10 minutes ride from Stromlo.

Haakon

I was also thinking along the river where those rapids and swimming holes are. You could make some super fun rock feature river crossings too :)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
In my fantasy, something like this:

For scale, the drive along Paddy's River Road from Cotter Dam to the end of the purple line is about 25 ~ 30km

Attachments

Last edited:

Haakon

Yeah, looks good. Also a network down on the river in Stony Creek Reserve. And how cool would a downhill course be under the dam wall? Great backdrop :)

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Out near Cotter Dam was an idea that came to my mind... and then it seemed I wasn't the first to come up with it :whistle:
Good parking and facilities, an established camp site. I imagine a long trail out towards Tidbinbilla.
Would be good to get some traction on this, and I'd be happy to contribute.
Now wouldn't that be grand...

As much as we dislike the scale and pace of the clear fall harvest in East Kowen, Sparrow (and soon Majura), it has helped us realise that we rely too much on plantation areas for our trails and that in doing so we will face the disruption of harvest cycles again and again into the future. This reliance is something we need to change if we are to grow the total trail network in the ACT region, insulate ourselves against trail loss moving forward and seek to become a market leading destination for MTB tourism. We need to have more trail in native areas, at the urban fringe, through suburban green belts and in nature reserves. This way the bulk of the trail network is sustainable and any trail lost to plantation harvest has less overall impact (and can be better managed).

The whole process has had us staring at maps anew and chatting with our fellow trail builders. We have looked at a number of areas and have identified some promising locations, but the absolute stand out for the long term is Cotter/Brindabella. We've done a great deal of riding out in the Brindabellas over the years (on dirt and tar) and have ridden through the Cotter about a million times. It got us to thinking... why not Cotter? The more we think about it, the more we like it. It was a special place growing up as a kid (family bbqs, camping trips with friends and even a few Scout camps). Cotter is a great recreation destination, it has excellent infrastructure and would make a fabulous trail head/gathering point for mountain biking. And the riding opportunities in surrounding ranges are exciting, almost limitless. There is world class recreation potential here.

Cotter/Brindabella, has outstanding potential (on and off-road) and proposing this location is more about positioning Canberra as a top tier destination for mtb tourism. This would be a slow burn outcome, but if ACT Government has aspirations of turning the Canberra region into a must-visit destination for mountain biking (on a domestic and international scale) — a key aim of the Cycling Strategy — then I think Cotter and Brindabella would have to be at the heart of the offer.

It would serve as a central drawcard to pull visitors to the region with other ride locations Majura. Bruce, Stromlo, etc rounding out to create a compelling offer. So many places to ride… Canberra appeals a 365 days-a-year destination and has the potential to draw tourism for mtb throughout the year (unlike resort towns like Whistler, Squamish, Queenstown, Thredbo and Buller etc). This is its strength… but of course a brew pub/cafe at the Cotter would have to be a given ;)

HERE is a concept I threw out there a while back.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agree with Haakon, trail networks are the go. Just like Stromlo, Bruce Ridge, Kowen/Sparrow, etc.

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Go West...

We've also floated a concept for a trail development in West Kowen (given East Kowen would take the better part of a decade to feel like forest again). The area shows great promise, particularly if a trail head can be established atop the escarpment or repurpose/expand the Molonglo Reserve area at the base). The plantation area here contains relatively young trees (due shortly for first thin), great terrain, convenience to Queanbeyan/Canberra and a good balance of planatation and natives – all plusses in our opinion. If this area were to be made available, trails could be built with minimal impact and allow the creation of a new trail network and ensures Kowen remains a destination for mountain biking.

Attachments

Last edited: